Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Last week we saw oakland push the offensive line around and we saw confusion and chaos when they stunted. It wrecked the first units night. We couldnt run or pass.

this happened all over the league however because the first game is usually just teams running plays with minimal planning for the opponent.

Last night was the opposite we saw the line seemingly expect what was coming and keep romo clean and open some nice lanes in the running game. I dont think that is an accident in our game or in the other games I watched bits and pieces of this second week of preseason. Last night mickey spagnola interviewed romo during the third quarter and asked him how the line played so much better and his response was that they watched film on the chargers and had more of an idea what they would do. Simple stuff, most fans know this and others as evidenced by last week do not.

Everyones whipping boy Kevin ogletree is showing the fruits of his labor during this past offseason. witten and romo have said repeatedly since ota's he is a different guy. He is stronger and bigger from dedicating himself in the weight room and for whatever reason he is more focused. He caught I think four balls and three of them were in traffic for first downs. I think that is what they need to see him do. Not sure who the three is yet but ogletree is at least showing dedication and focus this summer.

looks like miles austin wont play against the rams and that means we wont see him until the giants game. Would have been nice to see him and dez for a series or two with ogletree.

Looked like jon phillips was pretty good blocking. Jerry hinted at halftime that a tight end missed a block that caused a sack, but I am not sure which tight end or if it was chappas.

Chappas struggled. Gronkowski like struggled and since romo was lost for the season by gronkowski missing on the same types of misses chappas made last night I imagine he is on the other side of the ledger of the 53.

Mickey spagnola said on the postgame show that on the two goalline runs, the second which resulted in the olawale touchdown skip peete told olawale to just go full speed in behind the fb and center and just slam them forward. Olawale was intentionally told to do this to see what happened. he pushed the pocket both times behind arkin, dockery and chappas. Would have been nice to have that play against the lions on 4th and goal last year where we were stuffed.

It appears the staff really likes olawale according to brad sham and bryan broaddus, Brad said last night that special teams will determine if he can stick or not. if he is not a liability in special teams he will be here. Brad also said the team loves tanner and really loves dunbar. This team I get the impression from the last 5 years or so really wants a thumper to quote parcells. If olawale continues to catch the ball and run tough like he has he will be hard to cut.

Phillip tanner is really missing out. I dont think he will get cut but you never know he could get reshon lee'd or tyson thompson'd if you will.

There seems to be a great concern and reason for panic around felix jones. I dont get it. I honestly dont care what he does in august. I dont think he will get another contract here but just like mike jenkins I want him here this year playing well.

All the talk about third wr and witten's injury crippling the offense can be offset by simply throwing the ball to the running backs. its like a lost art here. I know romo is aggressive and likes to go down the field with the ball but I would really like to see him throw it to felix, murray and I imagine hannah on quick stuff this season. Just seems to create a really difficult dimension to defend and if we can get safeties sneaking up from worrying about this a little more maybe we hit some big ones at some point.

Demarco murray looks great. the start of the game last night looked like the start of the game at washington last year. Run right to murray, run left to murray, throw to murray......he looks like he can handle it and much like the skins game he looks like he is tackling the defense when he goes down.

Without 4 of the starting front 7 in our defense we pushed around the chargers offense. There rookie left tackle looked as bad as wayne hunter did for the jets. I imagine both teams desperately try to upgrade.

The play that stood out most on defense besides carr was sean lee's blitz. Sean lee blitzed straight up the middle on a delay and he knocked two lineman back by himself....He drew a holding call. I am in the middle of making a sean lee highlight video and this is not uncommon. going through every play he has made recently he has a knack for knocking over blockers on his way to the ball carrier. He must be extremely strong in his lower body.

tyrone crawford played well again last night and lined up in different spots. He played late into the game which I think is important also. He needs to be able to play 16 plus games hopefully at a high level which is hard for a rookie.

Last night I heard either brad or mickey cant remember say in talking to Brian baker..dl coach on the field he feels like they have 4 starters on the line. Said lissemore is one. that is good to hear. Looks like the biggest issue is going to be will you take coleman or spears and is geathers a potential guy or an assett right now.

Bryan broaddus talked repeatedly last night about how norv turner is excellent at finding quality tight ends and how the cowboys really like the chargers tight ends. Mentioned to not be suprised if we sign one of there tight ends whoever it is that gets cut. Found that interesting.

Stephen jones on Special edition from during the week said he feels we will be active at the final cuts and said this year they are open to player for player trades more than in the past. Personally I think they would like to see mcgee play well and maybe move him, same goes for spears/coleman. I think they would rather swap them for possible help this year than just release them...which I know is always the case. I dont think he means felix or jenkins which I imagine a lot of people would interpret that as.

Someone needs to limit jerry's exposure at this point. he just rambles endlessly, yes more than normal and yes more than me.

Brandon Carr. what is there to say? I believe if he is on this team last year we probably win the division. I think he is going to be a huge asset. So like duh right? we gave him 50 million dollars......what i mean is the giants have beat us time and time again for basically 5 years by throwing the ball deep. they used to pick on roy williams and anthony henry....then they went after newman and ball......then just newman. they have made game changing momentum swinging splays on the deep ball against us. that is what they do, they throw the ball down the field.

the last time we really played solid defense against them was under wade in ny in 07 and at home in 08...(the final texas stadium win ever) Wade forced them to throw underneath and took away mannings big play. Shockey had like 13 catches or something that game in ny and we kicked there ass. When you take away mannings big shots down the field he gets jumpy and erratic. It seems to bother him more than pressure.

Enter Brandon Carr. If he is able to play the deep ball like we saw last night we might finally have the missing part to slow down manning and gilbride who have owned us for 5 years. I stand by the notion that carr baited rivers last night and rivers who was hurried fell for it hook line and sinker. Carr was lineup off with no help.....Rivers saw that. he was trailing with his head back on rivers the whole time.....and made a tremendous play on the ball. Henry and Newman for years in that same scenario never turn around and either tackle the wr or interfere. Rockey ismail said on the postgame show that deion sanders used to do that a lot. He said in fact when he was with the raiders deion did it to him...he thought he had him beat and so did his qb and deion just jumped back in front. To further back up this notion clarence hill asked carr last night if he was baiting rivers and he said yes and that he learned that from watching sanders.....interesting stuff.

The giants looked terrific. Plain and Simple. they are following the recent course of champions starting fast and looking unbeatable early. Its a tall task for us on the fifth I cant wait.

Its just week 2 of the preseason and I would have preferred that we get blown out so the team gets nothing but bagged on, especially now since the dumber portion of the local media....like matt mosely, calvin watkins and the fan morning guys will expect 25 int from carr and everytime he doesnt make a play it will be a reason to write a column.

I would have liked to have seen claiborne have to defend a deep ball down the sideline....he looked more than willing to tackle which is a good thing.....

Barry church looks great. I was wrong on him, I thought he was too slow to move around as much as we need that spot to......great start.

to quote Alanis Morissette "I know what I am not, I still dont know what I am" I think this is basically where we are right now. Looks like we are going to be solid and fundamentally sound on defense with a real difference maker on each level in ware, ratliff, lee and carr. The offense because of injuries and the unknown still looks like it has a long ways to go but we know it is not as bad as what we saw in oakland.

Forgot to add, No injuries which is the only thing that matters...but orie lemon did get a stinger.
Sorry for rambling. I cant wait till next saturday to watch the game live.

Last edited:

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That's a good ass post! Good work Theebs.

I missed most of the 2H, did Hamilton play well?

Yeah just like Albright and lemon he always seems to be around the ball.

Got robbed of a good special teams play when thay said the returner wasn't down, when he was.

Reaction score
Enter Brandon Carr. If he is able to play the deep ball like we saw last night we might finally have the missing part to slow down manning and gilbride who have owned us for 5 years. I stand by the notion that carr baited rivers last night and rivers who was hurried fell for it hook line and sinker. Carr was lineup off with no help.....Rivers saw that. he was trailing with his head back on rivers the whole time.....and made a tremendous play on the ball. Henry and Newman for years in that same scenario never turn around and either tackle the wr or interfere. Rockey ismail said on the postgame show that deion sanders used to do that a lot. He said in fact when he was with the raiders deion did it to him...he thought he had him beat and so did his qb and deion just jumped back in front. To further back up this notion clarence hill asked carr last night if he was baiting rivers and he said yes and that he learned that from watching sanders.....interesting stuff.

Yea, but Bob said he got lucky and the wind knocked it down. lol

Good write up, btw

Reaction score
Great read. Thanks for posting. I didn't catch the game last night, so I appreciate all the info. Especially the insights as to what some of the commentators are saying/suggesting.

I just started rooting for Olawale. I noticed against the Raiders that they seemed to be looking for a reason go keep him. He was getting a lot of looks.

He's essentially a fullback, so he ought to be decent lining up behind Vickers in short yardage situations.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I was just shocked to see a Dallas corner intercept a ball. Are we allowed to do that?

1liVec.St.58.jpeg

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Any injuries?

The only thing kristie scales reported was orie lemon with the stinger and loper getting dinged on the interception return

It looked to me like scandrick just missed breaking his neck trying to tackle gates low leading with his head....

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I hope we trade Felix...I really dislike him...probably my least fav player on the entire team...I'm ok w even cutting the guy

Reaction score
I was just shocked to see a Dallas corner intercept a ball. Are we allowed to do that?

1liVec.St.58.jpeg

Definitely strange seeing an aggressive/confident corner on our squad. Pretty excited to see this guy play when it counts!

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Can't see It in that phot-but does the backwards swoosh on the right sleeve bother anyone else...it's the same w every team. Looks stupid to me

Edit*** you can kid of notice it on the chargers jersey

Last edited:

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I hope we trade Felix...I really dislike him...probably my least fav player on the entire team...I'm ok w even cutting the guy

I really have no beef with Felix. Hopefully he will be fully ready to play in a couple of weeks.

He made a great block on that 4th down conversion. For a third down back that is half the battle. The other half is catching the ball...he dropped two passes already in these two games.

I just want him to have a good year this year.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I really have no beef with Felix. Hopefully he will be fully ready to play in a couple of weeks.

He made a great block on that 4th down conversion. For a third down back that is half the battle. The other half is catching the ball...he dropped two passes already in these two games.

I just want him to have a good year this year.

Seems like a wasted down when he gets the ball as opposed to Murray.

Reaction score

I feel the same way about Felix that I do/did about Bennett... as soon as he goes to another team, he'll go off.

I never felt like we've used him correctly.

I'll defer to the coaches on this one. I'd prefer to keep the guy, but it seems like we have some talented young guys, and I do like Tanner... so if Felix isn't on the team this year I won't be too upset.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score

1liVec.St.58.jpeg

Brad sham compared him to everson walls last night. It was strange to see a corner make a calculated play like that. Usually we have to have the ball thrown right to our guys.

The corners also were very aggressive on run defense, that was different and must be a Jerome Henderson thing.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Have you heard anything in regards to coale getting cut, theebs? I really hope we don't cut that guy

Top Bottom