dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
mortreport Chris Mortensen
Rodgers-Cromartie's fine isn't sitting well with everyone around league. One prominent coach thought this would merit suspension.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie fined

Updated: August 17, 2012, 5:01 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie has been fined $21,000 for his hit on Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich, a league official confirmed to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The fine stems from a play in the first quarter of an Aug. 9 game.

As Leftwich was scrambling out of the pocket and flipped the ball away, Rodgers-Cromartie launched himself into the signal-caller. Rodgers-Cromartie was called for unnecessary roughness on a defenseless player.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
If a QB starts scrambling, I don't think he should be protected at all.

A late hit is one thing, but hitting him hard is another.

Out of curiosity, is launching an illegal hit period, or just against a QB?

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Why did they think he should be suspended?

It was an illegal hit to the head and he launched but he doesn't have priors I don't think.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
See for yourself, not much doubt this should have gotten more than a handslap fine. I guarantee you had this been a Cowboy player doing this to Vick or Manning it'd have gotten him creamed by the league office:

[video=youtube;gpHUWD4xrHk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpHUWD4xrHk&feature=related[/video]

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah I saw the hit.

Generally suspensions only come down for repeat offenders, no matter what team they're on. I don't see the problem with a fine.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
First time I've seen it. I don't see anything wrong with the hit. You're talking about a skinny CB Hitting a 300lb QB, who btw was a runner when he left the pocket.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I hate the Stealers too, and Leftwich is a lardass, but he launched himself into the air and right into his head.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
You can't launch at WRs I don't know why anyone would assume going high on a QB would be any different.

I have no problem with a flag here. It wasn't a play where the runner lowered his helmet and tried to run him over, he was head hunting.

He wouldn't have launched at a RB like that because he would have been left holding his dick in his hand.

He launched because it was a QB and he could square him up.

Not sure when 21K became a minimal fine though.

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, as long as there are rules people should abide by them. But really, is anyone else just a little bothered by the complete pussification of the NFL? Barely practice, can't get hit certain ways, tackled certain ways, on and on.

Reaction score
It's pussification right up until your fav. player gets hurt.

Fans don't pay $$$ to watch Tom Brady's backup.

Reaction score
It's pussification right up until your fav. player gets hurt.

Fans don't pay $$$ to watch Tom Brady's backup.

They don't pay $$$ to watch Byron Leftwich either, but apparently they actually do.

I say that jokingly, of course. In all seriousness though, protecting the QB really isn't the problem with the NFL. Sure, that hit was fine worthy, the guy left the ground.

There has been and will be several hits that will draw flags and/or fines that in no way deserve them this year though and that's what annoys me.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
I guarantee you had this been a Cowboy player doing this to Vick or Manning it'd have gotten him creamed by the league office

Ever wonder why people call you a homer? Statements like this are a good start. How exactly can you gaurantee this? Because it's a Cowboys player? Really? Or would it have more to do with the fact that Vick and Manning are stars in the league and they'll go the extra mile to protect their stars, so it could have been any schlub on any other team.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It was about as textbook an example of what not to do as I've ever seen. Well at least since all this "launch" stuff started.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Ever wonder why people call you a homer? Statements like this are a good start. How exactly can you gaurantee this? Because it's a Cowboys player? Really? Or would it have more to do with the fact that Vick and Manning are stars in the league and they'll go the extra mile to protect their stars, so it could have been any schlub on any other team.

what other team has ever had an assistant coach suspended 5 games for taking a prescription drug he needs because of a medical condition?

and seriously, all of you can fuck off with the homer shit

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
what other team has ever had an assistant coach suspended 5 games for taking a prescription drug he needs because of a medical condition?

and seriously, all of you can fuck off with the homer shit

He didn't have a prescription.

He bought, and presumably used it, on his own. That's how he got caught. His name came up during an investigation into a company that was supplying to a bunch of known users.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He didn't have a prescription.

He bought, and presumably used it, on his own. That's how he got caught. His name came up during an investigation into a company that was supplying to a bunch of known users.

Thats not what was in the local news.

Top Bottom