dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hot routes: New Orleans native Lance Dunbar still has taste for Cajun food

Top 5

Lance Dunbar, a rookie running back from North Texas and Haltom High School, seeks to make the Cowboys roster as a free agent. Dunbar (5-foot-8, 191 pounds) has 4.4 speed in the 40-yard dash and also works on the punt team. A native of New Orleans, his family moved to Dallas-Fort Worth after Hurricane Katrina struck his hometown. But he still has a taste for Cajun food, as evidenced by his five favorite local restaurants:

1. Razzoo's ... "I love Cajun food and they do it right."

2. Pappadeaux's ... "Same thing. Great Cajun seasonings."

3. Cane's Chicken ... "It's the best for Cajun chicken."

4. Popeyes .... "I love the biscuits. And the red beans and rice is good."

5. Chipotle ... "It's not Cajun, but it's spicy. And you've got to mix in some Tex-Mex."

Key newcomer

Gil Brandt, former Cowboys player personnel director who is an analyst for NFL.com, suggested the team's most significant off-season acquisition might not wear a helmet in 2012. Brandt said bringing Bill Callahan to Dallas as the team's offensive line coach "may be the best free agent they added in the off-season. He's really good." Brandt said the best addition, league-wide, might be receiver Randy Moss in San Francisco. He predicted Moss would be the 2012 NFL Comeback Player of the Year. "I think he'll have a hell of a year," Brandt said.

Looking leaner

Lots of players and coaches are looking leaner in camp, topped by the 60 pounds dropped by defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. What gives? Outside linebacker Anthony Spencer credits the addition of a team nutritionist, coupled with some friendly competition for bragging rights. "Everyone's paying attention to each other. We had a little body-fat competition. And, by the way, I had the lowest body fat of all the linebackers," said Spencer, who checked in at 6.9 percent during minicamp. "It was a nice win and I was proud of myself."

They said it

"I told my Mama that I'd been struggling the first two days. And she told me that if I don't get it right, then I can't come home and she's not going to cook me any more of that good dressing. So you've got to make a change when you've got to make a change, man. I'm not ready to go home yet." Cornerback C.J. Wilson, a former Baylor standout, on the inspiration he used before a stellar Wednesday practice, which included three pass breakups and praise from coaches

Special skills

Brandon Carr signed a five-year, $50.1 million deal to become the Cowboys' shutdown cornerback with a focus on press coverage. What skills does that require? "A good press corner starts with having confidence ... that you'll make more plays than you give up," Carr said. "And the feet are more important than the hands. It's like playing basketball. You've got to be in front of the player. If you use your feet first, the hands will follow."

Familiar faces

The Cowboys will bring in three offensive linemen from last year's team for workouts today: Montrae Holland, Derrick Dockery and Daniel Loper. The move is being made because four guards are out with injuries, including two on the PUP list (Mackenzy Bernadeau, Kevin Kowalski).

Getting centered

With the injured list mounting for interior linemen, rookie guard Ronald Leary has begun taking snaps at center. It's a new experience for the undrafted free agent from Memphis, but necessary. Leary said he embraced the request from Bill Callahan. "I never have done it during a game. But if he tells me to snap, I'm certainly not going to tell him, 'no,'" Leary said. "It's different learning to snap and step. But if I practice long enough, I know I'll be able to do it."

Injury report

G Mackenzy Bernadeau, hip, knee, on PUP

WR Danny Coale,

foot, on PUP

CB Mike Jenkins,

shoulder, on PUP

G Kevin Kowalski,

ankle, on PUP

S Gerald Sensabaugh, knee, day-to-day

S Matt Johnson,

hamstring, day-to-day

G Bill Nagy, high ankle sprain, day-to-day

G Nate Livings,

knee, day-to-day

-- Jimmy Burch

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/08/02/4149927/top-5.html#storylink=cpy

Reaction score
What will be higher by years end:

Spencers body fat, or his sack total?

Also, CJ Wilsons mom sounds like a bitch.

Top Bottom