Reaction score
Earlier article from PFT just before the Supp Draft

Three days before the NFL supplemental draft, one of the eligible players conducted a Pro Day workout, and his numbers weren’t impressive.

Former Texas Christian University running back Ed Wesley measured 5-foot-8 and weighed 196 pounds, and he ran the 40-yard dash twice, once in 4.68 seconds and and once in 4.72 seconds, according to Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com. A 4.7-second 40 for a running back who weighs less than 200 pounds just isn’t the kind of size/speed combination NFL teams are looking for. It appears unlikely that Wesley will be drafted.

That doesn’t mean he won’t play in the NFL, though. Wesley’s agent, Jordan Woy, says about a dozen teams attended the workout and about another half-dozen have shown interest. If Wesley isn’t chosen in the supplemental draft, he becomes a free agent who can sign with any NFL team, and it wouldn’t be at all surprising to see some team give him a shot at training camp.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Because Dallas has tanner and this guy can be the guy tanner has been. Duh

Yeah, but why cut Felix, when it would cost us? Keeping him right now is about $1,000,000. Nah, I think either him or Tanner goes to the PS.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I can see Dallas end u trading him if tanner is neck and neck with felix. Well at least try to

Reaction score
By Calvin Watkins

IRVING, Texas -- When running back Darrell Scott failed his physical, the Dallas Cowboys were forced to release him. With an open spot on the 90-man roster, the team singed TCU running back Ed Wesley on Thursday.

Wesley was available in the NFL supplemental draft but wasn't selected. He worked out for 14 teams, including the Cowboys, and he even visited the Cincinnati Bengals.

Wesley didn't have any takers until a few days ago when the Cowboys called him to inform him they would sign him if something changed on their roster.

"I got the call about two days ago," said Wesley, who measured in at 5-8 and ran a 4.6 and 4.7 in the 40-yard dash for his pro day. "I was surprised and I was happy more than anything. I was trying to calm my mom down; she was getting a little too hyped. I walk in the house after my workout and she comes running down the hallway, in her condition, scaring me, and I knew it was something good or something bad. She kinda scared me, (but when) she told me the Cowboys called I was ecstatic and all I had to do was pray and just wait for confirmation."

Wesley was humbled because of what his mother, June Gates, has had to deal with physically. Gates has rheumatoid arthritis, which attacks the joints of the body.

"She's just having a hard time out here dealing with things, and I was at TCU having a great time," said Wesley, who rushed for 726 yards last season and led the team in rushing in five of the last nine games. "So I just felt like the person who always sacrificed so much for me, I felt like I had to do the same thing."

Wesley thought some NFL team would select him in the supplemental draft but admitted he wasn't in shape. So he went to a training facility in Carrollton, Texas to work out and felt better about his chances of getting signed.

He had to wait, but things finally worked out for him.

"I'm not disappointed at all," Wesley said. "I really thought I was going to get picked up. Obviously, I wasn’t in the shape that I needed to be in at the time, but that also gave me a little time to think about how I was going about things and improve upon on what I was doing. I got in touch with the right people and got in better shape and I'm here now."

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
5'8" runningbacks that run a pedestrian 4.7 really get me excited.

Top Bottom