Reaction score
This offseason, the Cowboys decided to let Abram Elam walk in free agency, and they brought in Brodney Pool from the Jets. Pool is player I don’t know a lot about, so I wanted to take a closer look at him on film.

Against the Eagles, Pool was forced to play a lot of center field, with the extremely slow-footed SS Eric Smith (#33 in the video below) drawing more in-the-box responsibility. Brodney Pool does not have the speed to play center field with any regularity at the pro level, however, I thought he actually had a decent game. He made a nice hit on Jeremy Maclin over the middle getting himself a PBU, and he found himself in the right place to recover a LeSean McCoy fumble and return it for about 30 yards.

But the one play that stood out, and in a very alarming way, was Brent Celek’s 73 yard catch and run. In this still frame, note that Celek is hauling in the pass and is about to head upfield. Pool is circled at the top right of the screen. It is not as if Celek is some sort of lumbering TE with cement shoes. He has sneaky-good speed, but at the same time, he’s never going to be mistaken for Usain Bolt. Pool has an angle and should easily be able to run down Celek and limit the damage on what is going to be a good gain:

Pool-Celek.png

But that doesn’t happen. Celek outruns Smith (33) and Pool (22), and is eventually brought down by Pool… at the 1 yard line. Let’s watch it play out:

http://youtu.be/p7D9tfqKoz8

He was so slow on that play that I even went back and checked to see if he appeared on the injury report for this game or the following game. He did not.

In Dallas, the more athletic Gerald Sensabaugh is going to draw most of the deep responsibility, but Pool is going to have more than his share of situations where he’s going to have to cover. If Pool can’t outrun Brent Celek, you can bet that opposing offensive coordinators are going to look to create schemes in which they can exploit his lack of speed.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, not news that Pool is a total JAG. Plays like that are why the Jets dumped him despite all his experience in the system and cheap salary. We really need to get lucky with Matt Johnson or even someone else on the team. Maybe even some other vet that becomes available.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, not news that Pool is a total JAG. We really need to get lucky with Matt Johnson or even someone else on the team. Maybe even some other vet that becomes available.

older beat up safeties get cut alot and when the teams start making cuts there will be other players available.

probably no better or worse than pool though. we have to hope our corners are killer. allowing the safeties to not have to be ed reed or we are in big trouble.

Reaction score
I really hope Poole doesn't make the final 53.

I have a hard time seeing how he does. I'd rather keep an extra corner like Mario Butler than a guy like Poole.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
he knows the defense like elam did.

johnson is going to have to learn everything....

its going to be hard to cut a veteran over a rookie who missed ota.

Reaction score
Good teams ought to be able to make difficult roster decisions with the long term in mind.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good teams ought to be able to make difficult roster decisions with the long term in mind.

right but there are only a handful of good safeties in the league. lots of teams are in the same boat we are.

i guess we just have to hope that our rush is better and the corners are great to keep the amount they have to do down.

Reaction score
I wouldn't say Celek outran him. Poole took a bad angle at first and got behind Celek, but ended up catching him. Looked like Poole had to turn around and get up to full speed while Celek had some momentum. Not saying Poole is fast by any means though...

Reaction score
Dude... 20 yard head start peplaw....

And quite frankly, he was running like he didn't want to tackle him.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I really hope Poole doesn't make the final 53.

I have a hard time seeing how he does. I'd rather keep an extra corner like Mario Butler than a guy like Poole.

Amen. He looked like your boy, Brickfoot McDreads out there.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Celek outran him. Poole took a bad angle at first and got behind Celek, but ended up catching him. Looked like Poole had to turn around and get up to full speed while Celek had some momentum. Not saying Poole is fast by any means though...

So he's a veteran that takes the wrong angles. Much better.

Reaction score
Dude... 20 yard head start peplaw....

And quite frankly, he was running like he didn't want to tackle him.
20 yard head start by yardage lines, but Celek was probably 10-15 yards closer to the near sideline than Poole was.

So he's a veteran that takes the wrong angles. Much better.
I'm not saying he's the answer at S at all. I have no idea. Just saying he took the wrong angle on this particular play and Celek was in full stride before he was.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, not news that Pool is a total JAG. Plays like that are why the Jets dumped him despite all his experience in the system and cheap salary. We really need to get lucky with Matt Johnson or even someone else on the team. Maybe even some other vet that becomes available.

I dont think they dumped him, he was a free agent.

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured you'd much prefer guys like Keith Davis or Elam, guys who couldnt find the ball in the air with a Rand McNally

No, I'd prefer either a young safety distinguishes himself enough in training camp so as to allow a younger player with more potential make the roster as opposed to a below average journeyman safety with little coverage skills.

diehard2294

Practice Squad
Reaction score
one of these drafts were gonna hit on the safety position I just know it (shaking head)

Top Bottom