C

Cr122

Archer: 2010 vital for Martellus Bennett; Felix Jones to get more carries

07:31 PM CDT on Thursday, July 22, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

Cowboys writer Todd Archer of The Dallas Morning News and SportsDayDFW.com answered your questions this week about Cowboys training camp.

Join Todd and all of our Cowboys writers as we chat live, answer your questions and dish the behind the scenes tidbits during every Cowboys training camp practice. Chats begin this weekend: Saturday at 2:15 p.m.; Sunday at 9 a.m. and 3:15 p.m. Central.

Some highlights of the full chat:

On if TE Martellus Bennett will be a factor this year:

I don't think anybody can answer this question. Even the coaches. He has talent and potential but people have been saying that about him since high school. He has to put it together this year. The coaches say he's been more engaged in the process than in the past. We'll see. The YouTube video deal didn't help. I think Bennett knows the importance of this season to his career.

On who will start at running back:

I think Barber starts but Jones ends up with more carries. Don't get caught up in who starts. That doesn't matter much. Look at who's getting the carries and when. That's more important.

On if Jason Garrett will try some different formations:

The Cowboys do more formations than most teams, honestly. You'll see the same stuff you've seen the first three years under Garrett. Where I think you'll see some change will come in the red zone. They struggled down there last year and need to go back to some stuff that worked in 2007. Maybe less shotgun.

On if Deon Anderson is really the best Cowboys can find at fullback:

I've waffled on Anderson's spot on the team. I think it's safe right now. He's a solid fullback when he can sift through the defense and find his guy. I'd like to see him have more feel in his game in terms of not going for the kill every time. He's OK on special teams, too.

x69twisted

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think Garrett needs to change it up a bit,let Jones get the bulk of it.Give it to Barber in red zone

C

Cr122

I think Garrett needs to change it up a bit,let Jones get the bulk of it.Give it to Barber in red zone

That's what I think, but you know Jerry wants the coaches to go with all three backs.

Reaction score
if Garrett gives felix jones the carries and felix can stay healthy i expect felix to have a 1,200 to 1,300 yard rushing season and something like 1,500 to 1,600 total yards his potential is great cant wait till the season starts

C

Cr122

One thing about Marty B, I am getting a little sick of hearing his year is coming, because I have been waiting for it and nothing is happening.

Just like Roy if you don't do it this year move over because someone else will.

Reaction score
yeah i think its Marty B make or break year dallas should of shipped him to cincy when we had the chance cuz now his trade value is just gonna continue to fall if the production isnt there

C

Cr122

yeah i think its Marty B make or break year dallas should of shipped him to cincy when we had the chance cuz now his trade value is just gonna continue to fall if the production isnt there

I'm surprised they didn't because John Phillips can play that position.

I hope he gets it straight this year, if not see ya.

Top Bottom