C

Cr122

Posted by jellis

If Miles Austin can't stay on the field and produce in 2012, the Cowboys' $10 million salary cap penalty isn't the reason the team will have to think hard about whether to keep him around.

But, in the wake of Jerry Jones' announcement that the club is done fighting the charge, it's got to be hard for the Cowboys to look back on Austin's extension and feel good about their investment.

The league claims that the $10 million budget reduction comes not from the Cowboys spending over an invisible salary limit in the 2010 uncapped season, but for the way they unnaturally front-loaded Austin's deal. At the time the deal was cut, just days before the 2010 opener, Austin's guaranteed salary was reported at $18 million.

But the club actually designated Austin for a base salary of over $17 million in 2010, leaving him with a restructured signing bonus of just $7.85 million for the life of the deal.

Austin's extension was for six years and $54 million - equalling the average annual value of what then teammate Roy Williams was making at the time. But given the extra spending money the deal will cost the Cowboys this year and next, the entirety of the cap cost is actually six years and $64 million, should he play out the contract.

He has yet to equal his breakout 2009 season, when he caught 81 passes for 1,320 yards and 11 touchdowns. With Tony Romo injured for most of 2010, Austin caught just 69 balls for 1,041 yards and seven touchdowns, though he made the Pro Bowl as an alternate.

All of last season, Austin battled hamstring problems, which he blamed on personal conditioning, missing six games and catching just 43 passes for 579 yards and seven scores.

For the offense to function at optimum capacity, and the front office to not forever rue the day it inked Austin to that long-term deal, the wide receiver has to stay healthy and produce.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm not worried about Austin, at all. I think he has a pretty good to great season coming up.

C

Cr122

I'm not worried about Austin, at all. I think he has a pretty good to great season coming up.

Yeah, I agree with a full off season program he'll have a good season. Woicik will have him ready to go.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Lol at cutting Austin.

His numbers will be huge if romo is healthy and if he is healthy.

He is the teams number 1 wr and biggest playmaker. He is not going anywhere.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We counting the plays he made for the other team then with his dropped pass + interceptions

Nope, those happen.

I'm talking about the big plays he has made, the big numbers he has put up.

He is our number 1 playmaker.

But I understand you dont like him because he is too white-ish, while holding the position DEz is persecuted because he is darker.....

So whatever.

Reaction score
Miles fucks up on the field more than dez, that isn't debatable.

What would happen if dez messed around w/ a kardashian, got out of shape, and drooped 10% of his passes just after getting paid? Then had the ultimate brain fart to Lose us the division and help the giants get SB #4.(5 superbowls isn't looking so impressive anymore)

3.1% body fat yall

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I know right.

Close your eyes....now imagine he is white....

Case closed.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
PS Miles is the only receiver we have who can get open quickly. Watch games where he's not in the lineup Witten gets smothered and it's jam-city on everyone else. He's way too dangerous and essential to our offense to cut or even moderately hate on.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Great he gets open. And then he drops it. So...

sometimes.

But him not being out there changes our offense tremendously. We can't block for shit so when the defense knows Miles isn't out there getting open instantly they do what I said earlier and Romo gets his ass kicked. He's got a great feel and relationship with Romo. I hate his fuckups as much as anyone but you can't deny his ability and what that ability means to our offense. Until we find someone else who can do that or Dez learns how to beat a jam Miles stays put, thanks.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Mb you act like he drops everything thrown his way.

It's absurd.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
After Romo, Austin is my favorite offensive player. At no time have I thought, damn... we fucked up paying him. He got hurt last year twice. Andre Johnson did for the Texans as well. Guess he sucks too?

I really hate that when someone dates anyone and it makes the news they are a problem.

Romo + Simpson = He's all Hollywood now

Austin + Kardashien = His head's not in the game

For the love of God people. I would give a left nut (and bust it in either of those women's mouth) to fuck either of them.

Austin drops passes!! Ummm, all Wide Outs do. Hell TO was gator arm himself. But because we lost to the Giants last year on a pass Romo shouldn't have ever had to throw and it was lost int he lights by Austin all the sudden he drops to many passes.

Dez Bryant is a fat out of shape monkey!! Ummm, how many games did he and Romo pull out of the fire for us last year?

I could go on. It's like every fan of the Cowboys's think that every player on this team shouldn't have a life, shouldn't have sex, shouldn't take a vacation, shouldn't do anything, but live breath and fuck football(s).

So sick of the Romo plays golf and that's why we lose shit too.

Last year, was a bad year for us and injuries. But around the league it was a bad year for injuries. There were a whole heck of a lot of players out of shape and pulling shit all year.

We weren't picked to do better than 7 and 9 last year and folks act like we were a Superbowl contender because we went 8 and 8 and should have won 2-3 more.

Shoulda coulda woulda

This year folks are saying the same shit, SUPERBOWL shoulda been ours, if we'd only beat them Gnats!

Whatever

I predict 11 5 every year, doesn't mean I'm not realistic enough to know that's a pipe dream. I'll be surprised if we go 9 and 7 this year. Probably take another good draft to finish off the Oline and Dline.

Quit blaming shit on guys that rock like Austin though, drops are part of the game. Geezus H Christ almighty.

Reaction score
7.5% drop rate is absurd. That's not the kind of stuff you expect from your #1 or one of the highest paid wr's in the league.

If he's happy with that we have a problem

Last edited:

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
7.5% drop rate is absurd. That's not the kind of stuff you expect from your #1 or one of the highest laid wr's in the league.

If he's happy with that we have a problem

He does have entirely too many drops. I also don't like how he packed it in after he signed the contract. That's bullshit.

And it's highest paid, lol, althought what you said is probably true as well.

Top Bottom