C

Cr122

[h=2]
Posted by jellis on dallascowboys.com[/h]

Annually, the Cowboys are looking for answers at no less than one of their starting safety positions.

Not since the duo of Roy Williams and Darren Woodson broke up has the position really had much continuity, and it's been a source of constant problems for the defense, with such starters coming and going as Tony Dixon, Lynn Scott, Keith Davis, Pat Watkins, Ken Hamlin, Alan Ball and Abram Elam.

It's back to the drawing board again this year. After playing on three straight one-year contracts, Gerald Sensabaugh got a long-term commitment from the club last year, but the other job is wide open.

The primary competitors are Brodney Pool, a seven-year veteran who the Cowboys signed to a modest one-year deal in March, and former undrafted Barry Church, who has played mostly special teams and the occasional subpackage over the last two years.

"I think that's going to be a hell of a competition," Ryan said. "Both of them are kind of coming off being banged up, but both of them have got a lot of talent, so I think it'll be a good thing. I think Gerald is clearly establishing himself as a leader back there."

After Church got the first chance with the starting defense in Week 1 of OTAs, the two split that duty on Wednesday.

By all appearances, the position battle is wide open, and could last deep into the preseason.

"Brodney Pool has had a lot of success for me in the past, and Barry Church is one of our better players from last year, the way I evaluated it," Ryan said. "It ought to be a great competition."​

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I really want to know who is our pro scout that evaluates the Safety position. That dude seriously sucks. Is he one of the Jones nephews or grandkids?

Reaction score
Rob Ryan is almost Wade Phillipslike in his assessment of players.

Barry Church is one of our best players a herpy derp derp.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
don't say derp

but do keep hating on my boy Barry. he's gonna prove all you haters wrong.

233px-Barry_Dillon.png

Reaction score
I'm not hating on him. I really have no opinion of him. But to suggest he was one of our better players last year is 'tarded.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
when he's out there he's doing all sorts of things that only people with a trained eye can recognize, like me because idk id I mentioned it before but I used to play DB. Good to know me and Ryan are on the same page. Barry 2012.

Reaction score
He's the best damned player we got. But I'm still gonna have Abe Elam start over him and take most of the snaps.

Way I was raised.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
one of our better players.

He's a project, always has been. But he just makes plays I couldn't be prouder of him.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm not hating on him. I really have no opinion of him. But to suggest he was one of our better players last year is 'tarded.

Well to be honest he was having to help the CB not get hurdled most of the time so his safety play was not as ambulatory as it should have been ><

Top Bottom