Reaction score
JON MACHOTA The Dallas Morning News
Special Contributor
jmachota@dallasnews.com
Published: 15 May 2012 04:49 PM

Arguably the biggest criticism of the Cowboys is that there’s a lack of leadership behind the scenes. Many NFL analysts have blamed the Cowboys’ one playoff berth in four seasons on not having the right leaders in the locker room.

According to a Monday interview with Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray , quarterback Tony Romo has been filling that role during off-season workouts.

“Just the fact that he's been there everyday, working out, he's calling people out, letting people know what they’re doing right, what they're doing wrong,” Murray responded after being asked why he believes Romo is poised to lead the team to a Super Bowl. “He's working out tremendously hard. I mean he still wears his hat on backwards and plays golf sometimes, so you can't take him too serious, but like whatevs. We also have Jason Witten, who has always been a great leader. And everybody's just being more vocal this year. Everybody's working hard and everybody's on the same page."

Murray, who led the Cowboys in rushing last season with 897 yards, was a guest on ESPN's SportsCenter. During the portion of the interview that focused on Romo, Murray also pointed out what the veteran quarterback has done for the second-year running back individually.

“Romo always helps me,” he said. “It's just the little things. He always tells me what to look for in defenses, 'Watch this guy. Make sure he's not coming.' He's just a great guy, a great leader. The success I had definitely came from Romo. There was times where I didn’t know which guy to block but he would tell me, ‘Hey, block that guy. If he doesn't come make sure you come back side and protect me.’ He's always been a great leader for us.”

Reaction score
As a Cowboys fan, I obviously want the team to win a Super Bowl.

But I really, really, really want Tony Romo to win a Super Bowl with the Cowboys to get all the detractors off his back. I mean, ranking him below Joe Flacco FFS?

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think Romo will win a Superbowl in a year or two. Maybe this year. I predicted us to go 12-4. One of these years I have to be right.

It's called statistics, amigo.

Reaction score
I like how on half our plays our center doesn't know the snap count or ogletree doesn't know the route. Romo is coaching and playing at the same time. Makes you wonder what goes on Tuesday through Saturday

C

Cr122

Yep, every year it's the same thing about leadership. It won't stop until he does win a Super Bow, if and when it happens.

Top Bottom