dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Entire show I believe from final weekend of 1977 season. Irv Cross does a piece on the Cowboys draft and the hot rumor of the day was Dallas trading Danny White to secure the #1 pick, so they could draft Earl Campbell in April. We'd have had both Dorsett and Campbell.

By the way, the 78 draft started a run of real clunker drafts run by Gil Brandt.

[video=youtube;vM-_jtsCGX4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-_jtsCGX4[/video]

Reaction score
Why were we considering trading up to #1 for Earl Campbell when we drafted Tony Dorsett the year before?

Reaction score
Jerry thinks you can't have enough good fantasy players on one roster.

Looks like 70s kids missed out on Phyliss George internet fap sessions. Womp womp.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Why were we considering trading up to #1 for Earl Campbell when we drafted Tony Dorsett the year before?

They thought Campbell was a once in a lifetime player.

Would have been a major rape job to send them Danny White and our #1 (end of 1st rd) pick in exchange for Campbell.

Had that happened, we might not have passed on Joe Montana in 1979

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry thinks you can't have enough good fantasy players on one roster.

Looks like 70s kids missed out on Phyliss George internet fap sessions. Womp womp.

Jerry didnt own the team then dipwad.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

Agreed. Makes no sense. Brandt was probably just humoring them.

Reaction score
If that story is true, we were always in play for the #1 pick.

I remember Gil in an article mentioning that we tried to get the #1 pick to draft Elway. We had a deal agreed to, but our guy was talking to the 2nd in command, while Denvers reps were simultaneously talking to the Colts 1st in command. As such, the Broncos got Elway and we were left empty handed.

Or something like that. Details might be off, but I remember him saying we tried to get Elway and we thought we had him until we got bad news.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I had heard this story before, but assumed it wasnt 100% accurate. This seems to indicate it was accurate.

You're assuming that Brandt's interest was sincere. I think he was pulling Irv's leg. You don't get the most out of Dorsett or Campbell by making them share carries. And I doubt that notoriously cheap Clint Murchison wanted to invest millions in the RB position.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You're assuming that Brandt's interest was sincere. I think he was pulling Irv's leg. You don't get the most out of Dorsett or Campbell by making them share carries. And I doubt that notoriously cheap Clint Murchison wanted to invest millions in the RB position.

I wonder if they might have considered trading Dorsett. Its no secret that Landry was concerned about Dorsett's body type holding up, and he clearly wouldnt have had that concern abotu Campbell. Campbell was more in the mold of Duane Thomas and Calvin Hill I think.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Entire show I believe from final weekend of 1977 season. Irv Cross does a piece on the Cowboys draft and the hot rumor of the day was Dallas trading Danny White to secure the #1 pick, so they could draft Earl Campbell in April. We'd have had both Dorsett and Campbell.

By the way, the 78 draft started a run of real clunker drafts run by Gil Brandt.

[video=youtube;vM-_jtsCGX4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-_jtsCGX4[/video]

Wow. This brings back some great memories.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
You're assuming that Brandt's interest was sincere. I think he was pulling Irv's leg

It was about as sincere as his statement that Seattle got a good deal because they had won four games.

Top Bottom