Reaction score
April, 28, 2012

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Cowboys' fifth-round pick is wide receiver Danny Coale.

Pros: He's pretty quick, 4.5 40, and has the ability to play all three wide receiver spots. He's not afraid to go over the middle or try and run deep. He was a team captain at Virginia Tech and that's a big thing with coach Jason Garrett, who wants players who are respected in the locker room. He can also punt. He did some of it in high school and college, on a limited basis, and can be used in that area in case of an injury. He's a scrappy receiver who is dependable.

Cons: He had limited work on returns, and the Cowboys wanted to get a receiver in the draft who possessed the abilities to return punts and kicks. He's got average height, 5-11 and size, 201 pounds with short arms, measured at 30 1/2, inches which could present a problem. He's not a very good blocker and averaged just one touchdown for every 20 catches.

Cowboy fit: He will compete for the fifth wide receiver spot with Andre Holmes and Raymond Radway. Coale does have speed and size to be a slot receiver but is considered small by some scouts. His positive attitude allows the Cowboys to move him into special teams, he worked on kickoff coverage in college but is willing to play all the units. He can also help out on punts, and anytime you get position flexibility you take advantage of it.

Who could have the Cowboys taken?: Marv Jones, WR, Cal; Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa; James Brown, G, Troy; James Hanna, TE, Oklahoma.

wyvrn

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I actually think this is a value pick. He produced in college at a big program and has decent speed, though he plays slower than his 40 time. He won't ever start but they may get something out of him in the slot and on special teams.

Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about this pick is, it'll likely come between him and Dwayne Harris for the final WR spot.

We know Radway and Holmes likely make the roster, considering Jerry and Stephen have both raving about them in the media.

I've liked Harris, and I think he has potential. If we cut him, he'll be resigned and have a respectable career in the league.

And if the final WR spot comes down between Coale & Harris... then that means a recent draft pick (either this years or last years) is already off the team after a short period of time.

Doesn't reflect well on our front office.

Reaction score
This is why we drafted Coale.

Because Romo has to do the same dance before throwing a pass....

[video=youtube;Z4yy-XnKigM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4yy-XnKigM[/video]

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I actually think this is a value pick. He produced in college at a big program and has decent speed, though he plays slower than his 40 time. He won't ever start but they may get something out of him in the slot and on special teams.

WR Coach Jimmy Robinson already said right out its not accurate to call him just a slot wr.

Both robinson and garrett have said he has the size and ability to play outside.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about this pick is, it'll likely come between him and Dwayne Harris for the final WR spot.

We know Radway and Holmes likely make the roster, considering Jerry and Stephen have both raving about them in the media.

I've liked Harris, and I think he has potential. If we cut him, he'll be resigned and have a respectable career in the league.

And if the final WR spot comes down between Coale & Harris... then that means a recent draft pick (either this years or last years) is already off the team after a short period of time.

Doesn't reflect well on our front office.

I will put money radway is not ready and will be far behind harris and coale. I bet he goes to the practice squad.

I will bet on it..

Yea thats what I thought.

Reaction score
Jerry told Radway he made the team last year if not for that injury.

If he's 100%, which he should be by now, then I bet he makes it.

PUP candidate at worst I'd say.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jerry told Radway he made the team last year if not for that injury.

If he's 100%, which he should be by now, then I bet he makes it.

PUP candidate at worst I'd say.

Pretty tough injury. If the stuff about ogletree gaining muscle and looking better are true and the team obsessing over telling us about holmes means anything radway is just going to be behind.

the good thing is I think he will make it to the practice squad this year.

for all the gripes about ogletree, I would hate to cut him in favor of a project coming off a major injury in radway.

I just think harris is going to stick along with coale, holmes and ogletree....that puts us at 6, if we end up going light at another spot radway should make it if healthy. Having 7 wr on a team with no center and odd group on the line is dicey

Reaction score
Danny Coale ... it'd be great if he turns out to be a reliable option. Romo needs a few more of those.

I'm over Ogletree. I just don't think he has it.

Radway is very intriguing.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hmm, I actually don't think Harris has much. I think Coale might be at least a reliable Crayton type with a little less size but more quickness.

Gotta say though, this must be the slowest sub-4.4 guy in history. Really, that 40 time, however they came up with it, is almost criminal.

Reaction score
Hmm, I actually don't think Harris has much.

He might not. He looked good in my post-draft Youtube film study.

Theebs posted a clip where he said he didn't get much playing time last year because the Cowboys told him he had too much junk in his trunk.

I'm hoping an offseason of bulimia will help him regain some quickness.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hmm, I actually don't think Harris has much. I think Coale might be at least a reliable Crayton type with a little less size but more quickness.

Gotta say though, this must be the slowest sub-4.4 guy in history. Really, that 40 time, however they came up with it, is almost criminal.

Hear I am trying to talk myself into harris being a useful player we just drafted and ciskowski raved about all last spring, how he was kelvin martin with better wr skills....

and your just killing my dreams man.....

if he ends up as jamaica rector I am going to hold you personally responsible.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Rector was a beast in the squat rack, though...

Just turned on Norm and Gosselin said he'd be surprised if Coale is the #3... Said #4 or 5 at best.

Norm asked who was #3 and Goose said, "Good point."

Of course it was said in the snarkiest, most arrogant voice ever. But then with Goose that's redundant.

Also said Jerry made the Claiborne trade because it was sexy. He actually said he doesn't know if we're a better team now.:WTF

I'm off to Unticket to see if there's been a Fake Goose lately.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Rector was a beast in the squat rack, though...

Just turned on Norm and Gosselin said he'd be surprised if Coale is the #3... Said #4 or 5 at best.

Norm asked who was #3 and Goose said, "Good point."

Of course it was said in the snarkiest, most arrogant voice ever. But then with Goose that's redundant.

Also said Jerry made the Claiborne trade because it was sexy. He actually said he doesn't know if we're a better team now.:WTF

I'm off to Unticket to see if there's been a Fake Goose lately.

well of course.

Goose will just rave about the pats and eagles.

just like he did when they drafted merriweather, winston justice, bunkley....all players never to be anything close to what they were sold as and picked in the first round...

I understand the pats benefit of the doubt, I dont get the eagles constant benefit of the doubt though.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
My favorite pick out of all of our picks not named Claiborne..

This kid is going to be a stud! Bank on it

Reaction score
I like Coale. He was one of my pet cat. I think he can come in and be a quality/smart WR for us for sometime.

Top Bottom