Reaction score
April, 28, 2012

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Kyle Wilber's only pre-draft visit was to Valley Ranch, and the Wake Forest linebacker said he “felt the love” from the Cowboys immediately.

That became more than a feeling when the Cowboys took Wilber in the fourth round Saturday. He became the first Cowboys’ pick to have met with the team in person before the draft.

“They put me on the board, tested me and told me their scheme and the defense,” Wilber said. “I had to take a test and try to remember everything they were doing.”

How did he do?

“Rob [Ryan] told me I was the best one so far,” Wilber said.

The Cowboys plan on playing Wilber at strong-side outside linebacker behind Anthony Spencer, who signed his franchise tender last week. Wilber had 13.5 sacks in 43 games at Wake Forest but also had 35.5 tackles for loss.

Wilber said he didn’t know much about Spencer, but he knew a lot about Ware.

“He’s a tremendous player,” Wilber said. “He’s a beast on the field. He looks like a monster really. I try to at least play like him, be physical with offensive tackles and tight ends and try to destroy the quarterback.”

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
It sounds good that he digested what was on the board quickly. Sounds like he could contribute immediately, unlike Bruce Carter.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Glad we are no longer going after players who can't remember their own names...

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Wait, they actually drafted a guy who's capable of learning the playbook?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Wait, they actually drafted a guy who's capable of learning the playbook?

I think that is why they preferred him over Ronnell Lewis who struggled academically in school, which is basically just memory retention.

Top Bottom