dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
CMD has been predicting Gruden to Dallas for awhile now I think.

Jon Gruden on coaching return: 'I'm preparing'

By Max Meyer NFL.com
Published: July 27, 2017 at 09:30 p.m.
Updated: July 27, 2017 at 09:37 p.m.

Jon Gruden hasn't been a football head coach in nearly a decade. That hasn't stopped an onslaught of Gruden coaching rumors seemingly every offseason since he was fired by the Buccaneers following the end of the 2008 regular season.

The latest edition of Grumors (sorry, couldn't help myself), however, comes straight from the horse's mouth.
"I've met with several people -- I won't deny that," Gruden said in an interview with PewterReport.com. "Just about every year I talk about coming back to coach. I'm not in here every day at 4:30 or 4:00 in the morning watching pinball, you know? I'm preparing myself to come back. I am. Every day. I'm preparing to come back."*

Gruden has spent his time away from the sidelines as ESPN's Monday Night Football analyst. Even though he's been in the broadcast booth for the past eight seasons, he's still kept that coaching mentality within himself.

"I love ESPN," Gruden said. "I mean I love what I'm doing. I'm with a great team -- a great group of guys. I'm still real close to the game. I still stay in contact with a lot of players and coaches at the league at every level. I don't know if [all the talk] is flattering or irritating. I don't really pay attention to a lot of it.

"But I am -- every year -- preparing myself to coach. Sometimes I show up at camp and I show up in the offseason and people let me coach. I jump in drills and they still let me install plays and call plays at some places."

Gruden compiled a 95-81 record over his 11 years manning the Raiders and Buccaneers. He turns 54 in the middle of August, so time could be ticking away on how many coaching opportunities he is offered.

One thing's for sure: With the constant whispers every year about Gruden putting back on the headset, we'll believe he'll be a head coach again -- whether at the collegiate level or in the pros -- when we actually see it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Does anyone really see him co-existing with Jerry for long? Or at all?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I actually think he could. I think he has that kind of engaging personality where he could put up with Jerry, acknowledge him, but still get his way.

Doesn't matter though because I think Red is here for several more years even if they suck.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I actually think he could. I think he has that kind of engaging personality where he could put up with Jerry, acknowledge him, but still get his way.

Doesn't matter though because I think Red is here for several more years even if they suck.
It doesn't really matter if Gruden could put up with Jerry because Jerry wouldn't put up with Gruden. Jerry just wants a yes-man as coach.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
The Jones' would not want Gruden because he wants ALL KINDS of power in the organization that they wouldn't give him. My guess is Gruden comes back when he is a victim of salary cuts at ESPN. When he no longer is in the booth, he'll be back on the sidelines somewhere.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
The only time Gruen won anything was when he was handed a Superbowl Calibre team and knew the plays of the other team. Why would we want him as a coach? Seriously.

Reaction score
The only time Gruen won anything was when he was handed a Superbowl Calibre team and knew the plays of the other team. Why would we want him as a coach? Seriously.

Because he at least knows how to coach during two minute warnings.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The only time Gruden won anything was when he was handed a Superbowl Calibre team and knew the plays of the other team. Why would we want him as a coach? Seriously.

He won something with that Super Bowl caliber team that the previous overrated coach could never get done though didn't he?

Top Bottom