dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Draft Focus: Miss. St. DE Adds Talent, Youth

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

With 56 tackles and five sacks in 2011, Cox was named All-SEC first team.

(Editor's Note: Leading into the upcoming NFL Draft, held April 26-28, DallasCowboys.com will take a closer look at the prospects, including some that could be potential fits with the Cowboys. Today's featured player is Mississippi State defensive lineman Fletcher Cox.)

Name: Fletcher Cox
Position: Defensive Tackle
College: Mississippi State
Height/Weight: 6-4/295

Honors: Cox was named first-team All-SEC last year – the only Mississippi State representative on the all-conference teams.

Strengths: The word "explosive" is often used in describing Cox, who played defensive tackle mostly in college, but has the size to play in the 3-4 scheme at defensive end. He plays with a high motor and uses that brute strength to often overpower smaller blockers. He has sideline quickness as well. With long arms, he's typically a good tackler, especially in the middle of the line of scrimmage.

Weaknesses: Still has some growing to do to fill out his frame. He's been tagged by some as undersized, but hasn't gotten overpowered much in the SEC. If he does switch to a 3-4 scheme, there is some thought he'll have a hard time adjusting at first. He was suspended for the season opener last year for violation of team rules, but came back and became one of Mississippi State's team leaders. He also comes from a school that isn't known for producing NFL talent on a consistent basis.

Where He's Headed: Cox will likely go somewhere in the middle of the first round; anywhere from 10-20 is where he's being projected. He'll either be a defensive end in a 3-4 or a defensive tackle in a 4-3 so he'll be a fit for all teams.

How He Helps the Cowboys: He'd bring some youth to a position that is pushing 30 at most spots, other than Sean Lissemore. The thought for years is that 3-4 ends don't bring a lot of production so drafting them high isn't prudent. However, the team had its eyes on J.J. Watt last year and he ended up making a huge impact for Houston. If the Cowboys can land a talented, explosive player in the draft, he could instantly improve the quality of that position and the overall makeup of the defensive line. Cox seems to have that type of ability and would be a solid pick at No. 14.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I wouldnt either. Gonna be a good one.

I just wonder if he'll even be available now when we pick.

I would like to think he will be but maybe not.

I've been coming to terms with the fact that Dallas will be retarded and pass on the chance to upgrade the G position for good by passing on DeCastro if he is even there.

As such, I've started to shift my hard-on to some other players. I would like to get Fletcher more than Barron but if worst came to worst I'd rejoice with Barron if Fletcher and DeCastro are gone and a trade down didn't work.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I would like to think he will be but maybe not.

I've been coming to terms with the fact that Dallas will be retarded and pass on the chance to upgrade the G position for good by passing on DeCastro if he is even there.
As such, I've started to shift my hard-on to some other players. I would like to get Fletcher more than Barron but if worst came to worst I'd rejoice with Barron if Fletcher and DeCastro are gone and a trade down didn't work.

There are other guards besides DeCastro, if you want a solid 5 year starter there.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
There are other guards besides DeCastro, if you want a solid 5 year starter there.

Awesome.

There are players at every position, Bob.

This is the NFL draft. Keep reading up on it and you might figure out the draft order before the 1st round starts in a few weeks.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Awesome.

There are players at every position, Bob.

This is the NFL draft. Keep reading up on it and you might figure out the draft order before the 1st round starts in a few weeks.

Not many positions in this year's draft are as deep as the OG position though.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Not many positions in this year's draft are as deep as the OG position though.

You keep saying that. I think the DL depth is pretty good in this draft. Back to guard, the dropoff from DeCastro to Glenn and then to everyone else is significant to me. Besides Zeitler and maybe the Midwestern State kid, where is this amazing Guard depth you speak of?

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You keep saying that. I think the DL depth is pretty good in this draft. Back to guard, the dropoff from DeCastro to Glenn and then to everyone else is significant to me. Besides Zeitler and maybe the Midwestrrn State kid, where is this amazing Guard depth you speak of?

I do not think the dropoff from DeCastro to Glenn is as significant as youa re making it, but I get your point.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
You keep saying that. I think the DL depth is pretty good in this draft. Back to guard, the dropoff from DeCastro to Glenn and then to everyone else is significant to me. Besides Zeitler and maybe the Midwestern State kid, where is this amazing Guard depth you speak of?

Brandon Brooks
Lucas Nix
Joe Looney
Josh LeRibeus
Brandon Washington
Senio Kelemete looked awful at times in college, but has as high a ceiling as anyone.

Will they all be multiple Pro Bowlers/All Pros? Probably not. Can you win a lot of games with them? Most certainly. So enough with declaring the draft a failure and our interior line prospects doomed if we can't come away with DeCastro. Or Hoofbite, or who the fuck ever. Quit letting Jerry Jones fuck with you.

And how significant is that drop-off between DeCastro and Glenn? It must be really good seeing as how you're the only one who sees it.

Last edited:

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Brandon Brooks - eh
Lucas Nix - eh
Joe Looney - eh
Josh LeRibeus - eh
Brandon Washington - out of shape, shouldn't have declared early
Senio Kelemete - maybe him.

Not seeing a lot of depth at the position.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And how significant is that drop-off between DeCastro and Glenn? It must be really good seeing as how you're the only one who sees it.

A lot of sites/gurus have DeCastro much higher than Glenn.

I like Glenn, especially because he could play Tackle if needed, but DeCastro is as close to a sure thing as you will see in the draft.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
We will pass on DeCastro and will be fine. What's funny is that the only people that would bemoan not getting their favorite player are DeCastro fans.

You read about any other fans saying things such as, "If we pass on Fletcher Cox, it will be like passing on Randy Moss"?

Think about it. That's the company you keep.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We will pass on DeCastro and will be fine. What's funny is that the only people that would bemoan not getting their favorite player are DeCastro fans.

You read about any other fans saying things such as, "If we pass on Fletcher Cox, it will be like passing on Randy Moss"?

Think about it. That's the company you keep.

My opinion on DeCastro is my own. If we don't draft him, if we we pass on him, I'll be disappointed but I still like the value in the middle of the 1st round. I'll hope we got a player that will help the team. If we draft someone there who I feel is a little overrated, let's say Mark Barron, I'll hope like hell the scouts were right and we've finally added a quality safety.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced Fletcher Cox is a 5 tech. Maybe that doesn't matter as much in Ryan's scheme, but he seems like a 3 tech to me.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Brandon Brooks
Lucas Nix
Joe Looney
Josh LeRibeus
Brandon Washington
Senio Kelemete looked awful at times in college, but has as high a ceiling as anyone.

Will they all be multiple Pro Bowlers/All Pros? Probably not. Can you win a lot of games with them? Most certainly. So enough with declaring the draft a failure and our interior line prospects doomed if we can't come away with DeCastro. Or Hoofbite, or who the fuck ever. Quit letting Jerry Jones fuck with you.

lol

Top Bottom