Reaction score
No serious discussions between Texans, Mario Williams
Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2012, 10:02 AM EST

With Texans running back Arian Foster now signed to a new five-year deal, the question becomes whether the team will use the franchise tag on linebacker Mario Williams.

Given that the final year of Williams’ rookie deal had a cap number that would push his franchise tender above $22 million, that’s highly unlikely.

Making it even more highly unlikely is the fact that the Texans and Williams have yet to engage in serious negotiations, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

As of last Tuesday, the Texans had $118.9 in 2012 salary-cap commitments, which puts them close to the expected ceiling of $120 million or so. Foster wasn’t factored into the “top 51″ calculation, since he wasn’t under contract at the time. His cap number for 2012 will land on the “top 51″ list, nudging a minimum-salary guy off the board and taking more dollars away from the team’s allotment.

The Texans could tag Williams by 4:00 p.m. ET Monday, adding $22 million to their cap commitments. The team then would have to embark on a one-week effort to clear cap space. Candidates for restructured deals and/or pay cuts include receiver Jacoby Jones ($3 million base salary in 2012), linebacker DeMeco Ryans ($5.9 million), quarterback Matt Schaub ($7.15 million), receiver Kevin Walter ($3.5 million), and tackle Eric Winston ($5.5 million).

There are three other reasons to not keep Williams. First, in a 3-4 defense, outside linebackers can be capably filled by a much less expensive player. For years, the Steelers had a revolving door at the position, letting “star” players walk and reloading with guys who had the ability to take advantage of a potent three-man defensive line that ties up the blockers. The Texans will have a hard time justifying the extra money it will take to have an elite player like Williams in that role.

Second, the team performed very well without Williams, who missed most of the season after tearing a pectoral muscle.

Third, the Texans need to keep those big dollars around in the event that they decide to make a run at Peyton Manning. They reportedly aren’t interested — but at one point the Vikings reportedly weren’t interested in Brett Favre, either. With Schaub entering the final year of his contract, the Texans could clear a quick and easy $7.15 million in cap space by cutting him loose.

And the Texans, who spent nine years unable to get to the postseason due in large part to Peyton, would suddenly become a championship contender if the guy who was throwing passes at Duke on Friday ends up throwing passes in Houston.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Hopefully Mario really enjoys the state of Texas and wants to stay a resident.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
from Twitter
JJ Watt ‏ @JJWatt
Congrats to @ArianFoster on agreeing to a new 5-year deal! Very well deserved. #Texans

So do Texans tag Williams now?

Reaction score
Let Spencer go...Pick up Mario.

We didn't think Jerry would go after Nnamdi and he did. I wouldn't be surprised if he went after Mario

Reaction score
NFP: Cowboys and Patriots might be "among the interested parties" on FA M.Williams
According to the National Football Post, league-wide speculation is that the Cowboys and Patriots might be "among the interested parties" on free agent Mario Williams.

Dallas owner/GM Jerry Jones has vowed to be aggressive in free agency. There's a certainly a need for a pass rusher opposite DeMarcus Ware, though franchise-tagging Anthony Spencer would be a stumbling block. It's not in Bill Belichick's nature to pay peak value for a high-end free agent, so it would be a mild surprise if the Patriots aggressively pursue Williams.

Source: National Football Post
Mar 4 - 6:31 AM

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Let Spencer go...Pick up Mario.

We didn't think Jerry would go after Nnamdi and he did. I wouldn't be surprised if he went after Mario

And we were in far worse cap shape last yr, yet they had found a way to make room for his deal had he agreed to it.

Reaction score
Third, the Texans need to keep those big dollars around in the event that they decide to make a run at Peyton Manning. They reportedly aren’t interested — but at one point the Vikings reportedly weren’t interested in Brett Favre, either. With Schaub entering the final year of his contract, the Texans could clear a quick and easy $7.15 million in cap space by cutting him loose.

And the Texans, who spent nine years unable to get to the postseason due in large part to Peyton, would suddenly become a championship contender if the guy who was throwing passes at Duke on Friday ends up throwing passes in Houston.
Good God, this is ridiculous Florio.

Let's not sign Williams so we can have money to make a run at Peyton? Yeah their defense survived without Williams, but their offense was also passable with TJ Yates. And he just stated in the article that Schaub is making $7 mils a year. This would be the height of stupidity. They're already a championship contender if Schaub and Williams return and they have a healthy Andre Johnson.

If the Texans let Williams walk and sign Peyton Manning, I'll tape myself doing cartwheels and post it on YouTube for you Florio.

Edit: Oh and since the Vikes stated they weren't interested in Favre and then later signed him, does that give any "journalist" carte blanche to link any possible free agent to any franchise. They say they're not interested, have no cap space, and have the position filled already. Well yeah, but that's what the Vikes said too, so I'm gonna print it anyway.

Last edited:

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good God, this is ridiculous Florio.

Let's not sign Williams so we can have money to make a run at Peyton? Yeah their defense survived without Williams, but their offense was also passable with TJ Yates. And he just stated in the article that Schaub is making $7 mils a year. This would be the height of stupidity. They're already a championship contender if Schaub and Williams return and they have a healthy Andre Johnson.

If the Texans let Williams walk and sign Peyton Manning, I'll tape myself doing cartwheels and post it on YouTube for you Florio.

Florio is a moron. I don't think he knows anything about football.

It's a disgrace he is on NBC tv and that his website has become so popular.

Complete moron.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Florio is a moron. I don't think he knows anything about football.

It's a disgrace he is on NBC tv and that his website has become so popular.

Complete moron.

Yeah I dont know what he did with Peter King to get all his pub, but it has to be something pretty sick.

Top Bottom