dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Most know I know like to go back and second guess left and right over draft picks, but if you could go back and change any first round pick this team has made previously, who would you have picked and why?

Mine would be:

1983- we took Jim Jeffocat and passed on Dan Marino, who went a few picks later. Ultimately it worked out down the road (we got Aikman in 1989) but we suffered through alot of bad QB play from 1984-1988

1989 Supp Draft- We used what ultimately was the first pick of the 1990 draft on Steve Walsh. We could have had Cortez Kennedy or Junior Seau with that pick. Either of those guys would have made an already outstanding defense in the early to mid 90's even more dominant.

1996- We had Tony Brackens, rated as a top-15 player on our board fall in our laps and instead we traded down for Kavika Pittman (and a 3rd rd pick, which ended up being suckmonster Clay Shiver). IMO this was one of the dumbest decisions Jones has ever made.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
1989. The Cowboys could have been sold to a group of Japanese business men. Instead, we got Jerry.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Roy Williams trade comes to mind. With the 1st and 3rd we gave up in that trade we could have drafted Michael Oher and Mike Wallace. That hurts.

Reaction score
1989 Supp Draft- We used what ultimately was the first pick of the 1990 draft on Steve Walsh. We could have had Cortez Kennedy or Junior Seau with that pick. Either of those guys would have made an already outstanding defense in the early to mid 90's even more dominant.

Didn't we recoup a first by trading Walsh to the Saints?

As far as my ultimate rue.... I'm drawing a blank right now. Been a long day.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
2010-we could have gotten and filled this place with cool posters, instead we got dbair, cmd, bach and midswat.

Reaction score
Dbair... speaking of the Dan Marino thing, we also were in line to get Elway.

I don't remember the details of the story, but some old timer Cowboys front office guy said that us and Denver were talking to the Colts about trading for Elway. We actually sent them a better deal, before the Colts finalized the deal with Denver.

The problem was that we were talking to the wrong guy. We negotiated the deal with (I think) the coach, and the Colts were talking to the owner...

Something like that.

Reaction score
1) We missed on Darrell Green in that same Marino draft.
2) Brian Dawkins was still there in that Kavika Pittman draft.
3) Passed on Joe Montana in '79
4) Passed on Randy Moss
5) Could have had Jack Lambert in that Too Tall draft.

Those are all pretty major whiffs that probably cost us some Super Bowls.

Rev

Practice Squad
Reaction score
No. The 49ers traded in front (or a couple of picks ahead) of us. It was rumored that he was who we wanted but we didnt get the chance to pass on him.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Could have hired parcells in 97. We still had a number of Good players.

Aikman, Irvin, emmitt, moose, woody still had gas in the tank.

Bill would have turned the franchise back around and we may not have had this miserable stretch.

Those old players all would have loved the discipline and the structure he would have brought back.

If only we hired him in 97 instead of 03.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score

Anybody who rue's this pick is braindead. It was almost as important as the Herschel trade. We ended up trading Walsh to New Orleans for their 1st and 3rd rounders in the '91 draft, and their 2nd rounder in '92. Those picks were used along with our own picks and picks received from Minnesota to move around and get Alvin Harper in the 1st and Erik Williams the 3rd. And Darren Woodson in the 2nd round in '92.

So, sure. Rue away if your favorite snack growing up was paintchips.

C

Cr122

I still think we should've drafted Chris Johnson or Rashard Mendenhall over Felix Jones.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
I was a rueing MFer when we traded down with S. Jackson on the board with us on the clock.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The Roy Williams trade comes to mind. With the 1st and 3rd we gave up in that trade we could have drafted Michael Oher and Mike Wallace. That hurts.

Wallace is a stud, but Oher is one of the most overrated players in football. Great story, but he is not anything more than average IMO

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Didn't we recoup a first by trading Walsh to the Saints?

As far as my ultimate rue.... I'm drawing a blank right now. Been a long day.

We did, but it wasnt the first pick of the draft

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dbair... speaking of the Dan Marino thing, we also were in line to get Elway.

I don't remember the details of the story, but some old timer Cowboys front office guy said that us and Denver were talking to the Colts about trading for Elway. We actually sent them a better deal, before the Colts finalized the deal with Denver.

The problem was that we were talking to the wrong guy. We negotiated the deal with (I think) the coach, and the Colts were talking to the owner...

Something like that.

Was this a Gil Brandt story? He has a similar one about us trading up for Earl Campbell in 1978 too, even though we had just drafted rookie of the year Tony Dorsett the year before.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Anybody who rue's this pick is braindead. It was almost as important as the Herschel trade. We ended up trading Walsh to New Orleans for their 1st and 3rd rounders in the '91 draft, and their 2nd rounder in '92. Those picks were used along with our own picks and picks received from Minnesota to move around and get Alvin Harper in the 1st and Erik Williams the 3rd. And Darren Woodson in the 2nd round in '92.

So, sure. Rue away if your favorite snack growing up was paintchips.

We ended up with 3 first rd picks in 1991, I dont recall the details of how we got to #1, but I think we started out with 11,12 and 14 before moving around a ton. We could have easily ended up with Harper anyway. Or maybe had they not moved up for Maryland, they could have jumped a few spots to get Herman Moore instead of Harper. In regards to Erik Williams, he was the 3rd of three 3rd rd picks. We picked Godfrey Myles and James Richards (awful) before EW. Woodson technically came with the Saints pick I guess, but they picked Jimmy Smith one spot before. Maybe if they had only one of the 2, they still would have picked Woodson. Especially after having drafted Alvin Harper and Alex Wright in the two previous drafts.

Top Bottom