C

Cr122

By Todd Archer Jan 13 3:03 PM CT

IRVING, Texas -- Today we wrapped up the What Went Right in 2011 for the Cowboys’ series and you can click on the links below to get a recap.

But more than five things went right, even in an 8-8 season that finished with the Cowboys losing four of their final five.

** Laurent Robinson. Little was expected of him when the Cowboys signed him and even less was expected when he hurt his hamstring in his first practice, which led to his release. Once he was re-signed, he was too good to be true. He had 11 touchdown catches and had 54 receptions for 858 yards. He has to be one of the Cowboys’ top priorities in free agency but if a team wants to blow him away with an offer the Cowboys will have to let him go.

** Mike Jenkins. The former first-round pick displayed a toughness some wondered he had after an abysmal 2010 season in which he had too many penalties. He played through a stinger and shoulder injuries but a hamstring strain kept him on the shelf for four games. When he played he was the Cowboys top cornerback and that is not meant to as faint praise. He is in the final year of his contract and the Cowboys should want to keep him.

** Pro personnel department. They found Robinson, Tony Fiammetta, Frank Walker,Montrae Holland and Sammy Morris and all five players helped the team win games. Walker slumped badly down the stretch, but it’s not easy picking guys up off the street and the Cowboys had more hits here.

** Dez Bryant. He developed as a receiver in his second year and was on the field for 15 games. He continues to need work but improved at his craft as the year went on. As Jean-Jacques Taylor wrote, this is a huge offseason for Bryant in terms of his maturity.

** DeMarcus Ware. Complain all you want about how “quiet” his sacks were, but there is not a team in the league that wouldn’t want Ware. He had 19 sacks and played hurt down the stretch. Ware was named an All-Pro again, so he had to be doing something right.

Here's the top five:

DeMarco Murray emerges as No. 1 back

Emergence of kicker Dan Bailey

Sean Lee takes over at inside linebacker

Tyron Smith takes over at right tackle

Tony Romo returned to form

C

Cr122

Ware is far from our problem defensively. Oh, that's right he only had what 19 sacks for the year. He fucking sucks.

TRADE HIM!!!!!!

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Technically we run both a 34 and 43 defense. We at least have 4-3 looks anyways. I don't see us changing at all.

That's fine. If you like watching inconsistent pass-rushing and the middle of the field being constantly wide open.

C

Cr122

That's fine. If you like watching inconsistent pass-rushing and the middle of the field being constantly wide open.

That's the players fault. We're not good enough in the secondary. You know this.

As far as a pass rush we only have Ware. We need better players along the DL. It's not the scheme.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Why knowledgeable football fans think that DeMarcus Ware can't play in a 4-3 is amazing to me. I think the False Prophet says the same thing over there too.

First, the man was a 4-3 DE in college. Second, a 4-3 Right Defensive End and a 3-4 Right Outside Linebacker are almost the exact same position. If anything a 4-3 DE drops into coverage less. We wouldn't want DeMarcus Ware rushing the passer more would we?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Personally, I'd trade him because I'm dying to move to the 4-3.

he played RDE in the 4-3 in college

if we changed to the 4-3, he's be an all pro RDE here

every team in football would want this guy if we put him on the market...he's the best defensive player in the league

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Alot of teams running the 3-4 now, and winning with it

I know you hadnt considered that

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Why knowledgeable football fans think that DeMarcus Ware can't play in a 4-3 is amazing to me. I think the False Prophet says the same thing over there too.

You just answered your question. Maybe they are not-so knowledgeable.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
What else went right in 2011 ........

1. Secondary played so poorly that Campo was finally given walking papers.

2a. Tyron Smith
2b. Sean Lee
2c. Laurent Robinson

Is the Pro Personnel Department and Scouting Department separate from each other? If so maybe they should switch places, then we wouldn't have to do such a good job of finding players if we did a better job of picking players.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Alot of teams running the 3-4 now, and winning with it

I know you hadnt considered that

Well, we have been running the 3-4 for 5 years and still face the same questions every offseason.

"When are we going to find a consistent pass-rush?"

"When are we going to protect the middle of the field?"

"When is our D going to fly to the football?"

"When is our D going to create turnovers?"

Might as well just call it for what it is. A failed expirament.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I concur. This is the same person that wanted Pasquloni to be our DC. Wants Nagy as our Center. And other foolish shit.

Says the guy who wants to see Kowalski start at C, when the staff did everything in it's power to prevent that from happening.

Yeah, that's what we need, more slow, small centers. Good job :laz

Top Bottom