Reaction score
The Eagles (3-6) look like they are out of the NFC East race after losing at home to Arizona. The Redskins (3-6) lost to lowly Miami. And suddenly the Giants (6-3) are just one game ahead of the Cowboys (5-4) after their loss to now-8-1 San Francisco (remember which team handed the 49ers their only loss?)

Here are recaps of Sunday's three other games involving NFC East teams:

49ers 27, Giants 20

SAN FRANCISCO — Justin Smith batted down Eli Manning's pass in the waning seconds of the New York quarterback's comeback try, stopping the Giants for a 27-20 victory Sunday in a matchup of NFC division leaders.

With his team trailing, Manning completed a pair of long fourth-down passes and got his team to the red zone with 1:53 to go. Unlike last week's rally by New York (6-3) at New England, Smith made a leaping right-handed smack of the ball on fourth-and-2 from the 10.

The 49ers (8-1) won their seventh straight and didn't rely on Frank Gore, whose franchise-record streak of five straight games with 100 yards rushing ended with a knee injury.

Cardinals 21, Eagles 17

PHILADELPHIA — With John Skelton leading the way, the Arizona Cardinals sure look like a different team.

Skelton threw a 5-yard TD pass to Early Doucet with 1:53 left and the Cardinals rallied for a 21-17 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday.

Michael Vick had another so-so performance and the Eagles (3-6) blew a fourth-quarter lead for the fifth time this season.

Starting for the injured Kevin Kolb, Skelton threw three touchdown passes to lead the Cardinals (3-6) to their second straight win. He threw a tying TD pass to Larry Fitzgerald in the fourth quarter of a 19-13 overtime win against St. Louis last week that snapped a six-game losing streak.

Fitzgerald had two TD catches and made a sensational, over-the-shoulder diving catch to set up the go-ahead score on Sunday.

The defending NFC East champion Eagles were expected to be Super Bowl contenders after a slew of big-name acquisitions in the offseason. Instead, they've struggled miserably and have lost seven of their past eight home games.

Alex Henery kicked a 36-yard field goal with 5:06 remaining after Nnamdi Asomugha's interception to put the Eagles up 17-14.

But the Cardinals answered.

Skelton completed a 30-yard pass to LaRod Stephens-Howling on fourth-and-2 from the Cardinals 32 to keep the winning drive going. On third-and-10 from the Eagles 38, Fitzgerald made an incredible catch to the 1.

Beanie Wells was stopped for no gain and lost 4 yards on the next run. But Skelton hit Doucet coming out of the backfield for a go-ahead TD to cap an 87-yard drive and give the Cardinals a 21-17 lead.

Vick's desperation deep pass on third-and-20 was intercepted by A.J. Jefferson to seal Arizona's win.

Asante Samuel returned an interception 20 yards for a touchdown and LeSean McCoy had a 1-yard TD run to give the Eagles a 14-7 lead.

Vick was 16 of 34 for 128 yards and two interceptions. He's hardly resembled the guy who was an MVP candidate and Pro Bowl starter last season.

Dolphins 20, Redskins 9

MIAMI — Reggie Bush scored the clinching touchdown, then happily heaved the ball into the stands, and the cluster of fans scrambling for the souvenir included a man in a Miami Dolphins jersey holding a baby.

The scrum was understandable, because victory keepsakes have been a rarity lately for Dolphins fans.

Bush scored two TDs and the Dolphins twice intercepted Rex Grossman to earn their first home victory in nearly a year by beating the Washington Redskins 20-9 Sunday.

The Dolphins ended a franchise-record streak of seven consecutive losses in Miami since last Nov. 14.

Grossman was a surprise starter, replacing John Beck four weeks after being benched. Grossman threw for 215 yards but was sacked three times and had a passer rating of 58.7, lower than his NFC-worst season figure.

Possessions by Washington reached the Miami 20, 26, 5 and 10-yard lines, but those threats produced only three field goals.

Miami (2-7) won for the second week in a row after starting 0-7. The Redskins (3-6) dropped their fifth consecutive game, the longest losing streak of Mike Shanahan's career as a head coach.

The Redskins haven't held a lead since Oct. 2, when they beat St. Louis.

C

Cr122

If the Eagles beat the Giants and we beat the Skins. We're tied for first with 2 games left to play against the Giants.

The schedule favors us. We could run the table the rest of the way.

Reaction score
The last time the Eagles had their backs against the wall and played a divisional opponent on Prime Time, they destroyed us. Hopefully they can muster a similar effort against the Giants.

But I disagree with you, 122. I think we have the "talent" to run the table, but we're still an inconsistant, flakey team, until proven otherwise. I think we're 13-3 talent that ends up with a 10-6 record.

C

Cr122

The last time the Eagles had their backs against the wall and played a divisional opponent on Prime Time, they destroyed us. Hopefully they can muster a similar effort against the Giants.

But I disagree with you, 122. I think we have the "talent" to run the table, but we're still an inconsistant, flakey team, until proven otherwise. I think we're 13-3 talent that ends up with a 10-6 record.

A few weeks ago I said we would finish 8-8 at best because of inconsistency. As of now, I could see us finishing 10-6 and winning the division if we keep this up.

The Giants don't scare me and the Eagles are finished. They had their glory when they beat us, and Reid will have them ready for the Giants this week. After that it's all down hill. As far as we're concerned, I see us winning 5 of the last 7 games.

The Giants have Philly, New Orleans, Green Bay, Us, Washington, New York and us again. They could easily end up 9-7 or 8-8.

Top Bottom