Reaction score
Cortland Finnegan openly questions whether Hasselbeck fits the Titans

Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT

The Tennessee Titans made a big splash in the free-agent market on Wednesday morning, agreeing to terms with quarterback Matt Hasselbeck. In theory, the arrival of the cagey veteran should help stabilize a somewhat dysfunctional roster.

In theory.

Cornerback Cortland Finnegan openly questioned the manner in which Hasselbeck fits with the franchise during an interview with 104.5 the Zone.

“He throws the ball with good checkdowns, good intermediate passing game,” Finnegan said, via Music City Miracles. “That’s a West Coast offense they run, he throws the ball quick. I don’t fear his deep ball. Don’t get me wrong, he’s great at what he’s done. Pro Bowls, All Pros, even playing in the Super Bowl, but for what we have going, what direction I want to go and the team wants to go, I don’t know if he fits what we need, but I’m not the G.M., I’m not the front office.

The good news, if there is any, is that Finnegan likes Jake Locker.

“He’s got all of it, I mean he can make all the throws, and you go back to college, he’s a tough physical kid, doesn’t mind running the football, getting down and dirty, and he works hard,” Finnegan said. “Hard work beats talent. Hands down, man down. That’s something he’s done consistently. The thing I’ve seen thus far is that he’s worked hard, and I can go to battle for someone like that. No matter the interceptions, no matter the growing pains, we can go to work with him.”

If Finnegan’s comments are representative of more than a handful of the Titans players, Hasselbeck will have to win over the locker room quickly. And if the Titans struggle early, it could be Locker who quickly is thrust into the fray.

Top Bottom