sbk92

Reaction score
Rainer Sabin / Reporter

Throughout last season, the collapse of the Cowboys' defense proved an ongoing mystery that still has yet to be solved. Just how did a team that yielded the fewest points per game --15.6 -- in the NFC during 2009 become so vulnerable against opposing offenses in less than a year?

The question was even more perplexing when considering the fact that the starting lineup had undergone only one seemingly minor alteration when Ken Hamlin was replaced by Alan Ball at free safety. While Ball proved woefully inadequate in coverage, Hamlin likely wouldn't have fared that much better.

And so no one was willing to go so far as to blame that one move for the Cowboys' defensive failures that could be summed up thusly: They yielded 27.3 points per game, the highest total in the NFC.

Something was wrong, although it was hard to identify source of the problem. Was it the system? Was it the players? In the end, the Cowboys seemed to think that the scheme may have been flawed and so they hired Rob Ryan as the team's defensive coordinator.

Now that Ryan is stationed at Valley Ranch, NFL.com writer Pat Kirwan believes it's important for the Cowboys to find players that will be able to carry out Ryan's defense. Free agency, of course, has yet to start because of the ongoing lockout. And while the Cowboys have indicated they would explore the open market they have yet to indicate whom they may target. Kirwan has some suggestions:

• The most interesting scenario and the one that is on top of the wish list is to go out and sign CB Nnamdi Asomugha from the Raiders and defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins from the Packers. Those two players would be key ingredients for new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan to turn a bend-don't-break defense of years past in Dallas into an attacking package much like his brother, Rex, runs with the New York Jets.

The name of the game in Ryan's system, Kirwan writes, is pressure. Jenkins had seven sacks in 11 games last year while Asomugha was so feared by opposing quarterbacks he was targeted only 33 times in 2010, according to STATS, Inc.

Because of their skill-sets, Kirwan explains that both Jenkins and Asomugha would be able to thrive in Ryan's aggressive defense -- one that as of right now will be executed by almost all of the same players who yielded the fewest points in the NFC in 2009 and the most in the conference one year later.

sbk92

Reaction score
Here's his full article....

Asomugha, Jenkins would give Cowboys 'pressure' players

By Pat Kirwan NFL.com
Senior Analyst

asomugha.romo.jpg

Jessica Simpson didn't work out, but a Tony Romo-Nnamdi Asomugha marriage could work in Dallas.

At least some Dallas Cowboys fans can see clearly what should happen when free agency opens. Most Cowboys fans I speak with believe there will be some house-cleaning when the lockout is over and significant salary space will become available for the team to be aggressive in free agency.

The most interesting scenario -- and the one that is on top of the wish list -- is to go out and sign CB Nnamdi Asomugha from the Raiders and defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins from the Packers. Those two players would be key ingredients for new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan to turn a bend-don't-break defense of recent years in Dallas into an attacking package much like his brother, Rex, runs with the New York Jets.

Rex Ryan needs Darrelle Revis at corner to make his pressure package go and Jenkins was a critical piece to the Packers' pressure package. Asomugha could easily line up on the top receivers in the NFC and create "Nnamdi Island," which in turn will permit the safety on his side to be a blitzer, much like Jim Leonhard is in New York. If you study all the ways Dom Capers used Jenkins in the playoffs, you see a versatile athlete that can line up anywhere and be active in both two- and three-man fronts.

jenkins.cutler.jpg

Cullen Jenkins' ability to put pressure on the quarterback will make him one of the hottest defensive-line commodities on the free-agent market.

To make room for the two players, the Cowboys could part ways with cornerback Terence Newman, running back Marion Barber and offensive tackle Marc Colombo -- which would create close to $15 million of cap space (if, in fact, there even is a salary cap in 2011). Simply swapping out those contracts for the two new men would make good business sense. At any rate, Cowboys fans I speak to on my Sirius NFL Radio show believe these two steps would put Dallas right back in the race for the NFC title. I tend to agree.

Consider this, too: The Cowboys' draft last month set up well for the team to make these moves. Tackle Tyron Smith, the Cowboys' first-round pick (ninth overall), makes Colombo expendable and third-rounder DeMarco Murray does the same thing with Barber.

Dallas might also show some interest in an inexpensive safety to complete the project. Brodney Pool started the last eight games of the 2010 season for the Jets and had 44 tackles, a sack, six passes defended and an interception in Rex Ryan's defense. Michael Huff might come free after five years of service in Oakland, depending on the rules of free agency, and he played for Rob Ryan in Oakland from 2006-08 when he was in on 191 tackles, a sack and 17 passes defended.

The Cowboys have been quiet and conservative in the last two drafts, and when free agency returns it might be time for Dallas to infuse this defense and turn things around. I wrote a story soon after Rob Ryan was hired and broke down the changes Cowboy fans should expect; it is all about increased pressure. Without a few veteran additions, that pressure might not come to fruition.

C

Cr122

I'd definitely love to add Cullen Jenkins to our defense.

Asomugha too, but he would cost us, and I don't want to get into a bidding war for him.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
I think Jerry does go shopping when the dust finally settles on the labor front. I just think it will be more along the lines of bargain bin shopping than blowing open the piggy bank. Asomugha's price tag may be way out of reach.

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'd definitely love to add Cullen Jenkins to our defense.

Asomugha too, but he would cost us, and I don't want to get into a bidding war for him.

What has Cullen Jenkins done to warrant your desire for him and the big payday he is looking, especially with him at age 30?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So the Redskins and the Cowboys are interested in these two? I believe that oth the agents for these two players are putting this out in order to drive up the price. It worked for Atogwe. His agent claimed that the Cowboys and Broncos---Shanahan's former team, were interested (even though neither team had brought Atogwe in for a visit), and the next thing you know, Atogwe is a Redskin.

sbk92

Reaction score
As an aside, depending on when this CBA gets settled we could be in for a real mad dash FA period. Where there just isn't time to let the market settle and find bargains.

I don't know how you would approach that. I'd almost lean towards just sitting this year out. Don't get all caught up in the frenzy and saddle your franchise with bad contracts.

Top Bottom