sbk92

Reaction score
No doubt this question can be better answered later, but we've now seen a few draft classes with Tom at the helm. Do you think he's quality? Do you need to see more? Or are you already convinced we can do better?

sbk92

Reaction score
I want to say Tom is good. But what the eff was that 2009 draft all about?

That's the thing with this team. They can put together a decent draft and you think they've turned the corner and then they revert back to mid 1990's form.

C

Cr122

I agree with Midswat, make Tom the GM when Jerry passes.

2009 draft? I haven't a clue what happened.

You win some, you lose some.

sbk92

Reaction score
I agree with Midswat, make Tom the GM when Jerry passes.

2009 draft? I haven't a clue what happened.

You win some, you lose some.

Win some, lose some?

That was pretty bad. 12 picks. Even without a 1st and 2nd, that's off the charts awful.

C

Cr122

Win some, lose some?

That was pretty bad. 12 picks. Even without a 1st and 2nd, that's off the charts awful.

It was pretty bad. Thanks to the Roy Williams trade.

I think Victor Butler still has a chance here though.

I think we have learned to not trade your first and second round picks for a veteran player. I think. :awkward

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No doubt this question can be better answered later, but we've now seen a few draft classes with Tom at the helm. Do you think he's quality? Do you need to see more? Or are you already convinced we can do better?

I need to see more. Though I do believe he is better than Jeff Ireland was.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm not too high on Cikowski or our scouting department in general.

Looking at how goofy some of our draft boards have been, it doesn't seem like they truly understand the value of the draft and very often have 2nd or even 3rd rounds in their top 32.

Far too often we take spot players and backups in the 2nd and 3rd round that have labels like "What if" "If he can stay healthy" "We're hoping...." attached to them.

It wouldn't bother me one bit if we lost him.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
2009 was bad because the first two picks were "pet cats" of Wade and Houck.

The Cowboys didn't follow the draft board and were burned by it.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I'm not too high on Cikowski or our scouting department in general.

Looking at how goofy some of our draft boards have been, it doesn't seem like they truly understand the value of the draft and very often have 2nd or even 3rd rounds in their top 32.

Far too often we take spot players and backups in the 2nd and 3rd round that have labels like "What if" "If he can stay healthy" "We're hoping...." attached to them.

It wouldn't bother me one bit if we lost him.

Keep in mind many in the 2nd and 3rd rounds are "what if" players. Hey, if these guys were problem free, then they would be 1st rounders.

2nd and 3rd rounders have blemishes... Be it they're coming off injury or they underperformed their last year in college or they're a wee-bit too small or a wee-bit too slow or they do not have a true position.

2nd and 3rd round is the land of the "not-perfect" prospect.

sbk92

Reaction score
2009 was bad because the first two picks were "pet cats" of Wade and Houck.

The Cowboys didn't follow the draft board and were burned by it.

Okay.

Then what about the other 10 picks?

John Phillips was outstanding. Buehler was an okay pick. Butler was okay, though I want more from a 4th round pick. The rest sucked large.

sbk92

Reaction score
Keep in mind many in the 2nd and 3rd rounds are "what if" players. Hey, if these guys were problem free, then they would be 1st rounders.

2nd and 3rd rounders have blemishes... Be it they're coming off injury or they underperformed their last year in college or they're a wee-bit too small or a wee-bit too slow or they do not have a true position.

2nd and 3rd round is the land of the "not-perfect" prospect.

I think you've been a Cowboys fans for too long.

What you say is true. On the 3rd day.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
meh

Since he's been the director, only thing we've really made out with from the draft are can't miss prospects like Dez Bryant and Sean Lee. He netted us John Phillips in the later rounds, so bully for him.

sbk92

Reaction score
Our first round picks since he took over....

Felix Jones
Mike Jenkins
Dez Bryant
Tyron Smith

I don't think you can say he's whiffed on one yet. And the really good teams rarely do. It seems like Baltimore bats near 1,000.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think you've been a Cowboys fans for too long.

What you say is true. On the 3rd day.

Exactly.

Those types of players should be drafted in the 4th round and beyond, not before.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Our first round picks since he took over....

Felix Jones
Mike Jenkins
Dez Bryant
Tyron Smith

I don't think you can say he's whiffed on one yet. And the really good teams rarely do. It seems like Baltimore bats near 1,000.

Hard to complain about the 1st rounders, but the 2nd and 3rds leave a lot to be desired.

sbk92

Reaction score
Hard to complain about the 1st rounders, but the 2nd and 3rds leave a lot to be desired.

2nd rounders during that time period....

Martellus Bennett
Sean Lee
Bruce Carter

Eh. Jury's still out.

3rd rounders....

Jason Williams
Robert Brewster
DeMarco Murray

Yeah, that's bad. But the two whiffs were in the one awful draft class.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
2nd rounders during that time period....

Martellus Bennett
Sean Lee
Bruce Carter

Eh. Jury's still out.

3rd rounders....

Jason Williams
Robert Brewster
DeMarco Murray

Yeah, that's bad. But the two whiffs were in the one awful draft class.

I think at this point, Bennett is who he is.

He's a clown who cares about football secondary to whatever else occupies his mind at any given moment.

Lee has potential, but he's got to prove he can shake the injury bug......same goes for Carter.

Those 3rd rounders are bad, and while I think Murray is talented, is there really that big of a difference between he and Felix Jones?

Don't we already have a backfield full of spot players who have a "specialty"?

There were better players on the board that would have helped plug some holes that would've been much better value than Murray.

Top Bottom