sbk92

Reaction score
Posted by nickeatman at 4/11/2011 5:20 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

When it comes to the majority opinion about the Cowboys’ safety needs, I’m right there with the consensus. When it comes to Alan Ball, I think the Cowboys saw all they needed to last year and should move on – trying their hand in free agency, along with a pick (or two) in the draft.

But that doesn’t mean Alan Ball should be shown the door by any means. This guy still has plenty of value. Whatever his contract ends up being next season – likely in the neighborhood of $1.2 million – it’s still a relative bargain considering his flexibility.

While you don’t want this guy to start at free safety, or even cornerback, taking him to the games as a seventh defensive back isn’t a bad situation. You’ve got three corners – let’s say Newman, Jenkins and Scandrick – and three safeties (not even going to try to attempt that one), but Ball would probably be the fourth safety as well. That’s strong versatility right there, knowing you’ve got a guy who can play two spots. Let’s not forget in 2009 he was one of the team’s best special teams players.

No, the Cowboys shouldn’t go into this season counting on Ball to start. But I would bet there’s a good chance he’s there at least competing for it. If he comes back better than everyone, then fine, he should get the job. But nobody is holding their breath on that one.

Still, his value shouldn’t be overlooked. He may not start, but Ball should have a significant role next year.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Guilty as charged.

Also, they shouldn't let Alan Ball's mother write articles about him.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
If this article was written 4/1/11 I would have thought this was a good April Fools article. But seeing how Nick Eatman is serious on the matter he is now an official blind ass clown. What role does a player serve if he can't tackle or cover. Ball is a worthless turd that should be flushed.

sbk92

Reaction score
If this article was written 4/1/11 I would have thought this was a good April Fools article. But seeing how Nick Eatman is serious on the matter he is now an official blind ass clown.

Eatman may be the worst writer covering the team.

It's him or Mick.

Reaction score
You guys are obviously forgetting that game closing interception he had against the Giants in Jason Garretts first win.

That pick alone offset at least 10 of his blown coverages.

Reaction score
I'd take Ball over Sensebaugh anyday.. just sayin. Neither should start based on last years performance though.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Ball shouldnt be a starter. He should be a swing DB that competes for a roster spot and maybe has a role on special teams.

C

Cr122

Ball shouldnt be a starter. He should be a swing DB that competes for a roster spot and maybe has a role on special teams.

Alan Ball to me is a solid option for a backup corner, and yes, special teams.

At safety? F' no. Not even as a backup.

sbk92

Reaction score
He's a bum that shouldn't have a spot on a contending team.

Maybe the first year or two of his career as a really cheap backup, but once he starts getting tenure in the league and that salary rises, get rid of him and find a young guy with a little talent.

C

Cr122

He's a bum that shouldn't have a spot on a contending team.

Maybe the first year or two of his career as a really cheap backup, but once he starts getting tenure in the league and that salary rises, get rid of him and find a young guy with a little talent.

Hey, if we can draft someone who beats him out in TC if there is such a thing this year, then I'm all for it.

Believe me I won't sweat it if he's cut.

Top Bottom