C

Cr122

Vela: The (Latest) Case for Dallas to Take a 1st Round OT

Posted by Rafael at Friday, February 18, 2011

This isn't news to any of us on site, but bolsters my belief that Dallas should select an offensive tackle with its first round draft pick. From Wes Bunting's current NFP post on draft rumors comes this:

• The more teams I talk with the less I get the feeling that any top tier offensive tackle prospects are going to make it through the first round. I keep hearing they will be all likely be gone by the time the mid/late 20’s roll around.

Want to go corner or rusher in round one? Want to rely on Sam Young in 2011? Want to risk anything but the most modest of trade-downs?

I don't. If Tyron Smith doesn't Combine workout his way into the top 8, the Cowboys will have their pick of the OT crop. I think they should exercise it.

C

Cr122

If I were to pick OT at 9 it would be Nate Solder. Maybe Carimi but, no way do I draft Smith at 9.

I'd even take Anthony Castonzo before Tyron Smith.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Smith to me is too small for the next level.

He's about the same size coming out that DBrick Ferguson was. In fact Ferguson's arms looked lankier when he came out than Smith's do now.

Plus Smith reportedly weighs over 300 now. He plays with good strength and leverage as well. I like him.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Smith also has ridiculous DeMarcus Ware-type long arms. He'll be fine in the NFL.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
I am a Carimi guy. Have been sold on him since his junior year. Plug him at RT and it's an instant upgrade over what we have now. You could probably say that for any of the names mentioned above.

Reaction score
I agree but for once it would be nice to trade down and actually use those extra picks wisely.

True. More than any other year, I'm in a trade down mode. Unless someone drops, nobody we would take at 9 excites me.

Reaction score
From what I have been told Castanzo would be the last tackle to go of the top tier. Possibly to the Packers or Ravens. Hes not an exciting prospect, but I think he gives you 8-10 years of above average tackle play. Would like him around 40

Mr.Po

Reaction score
True. More than any other year, I'm in a trade down mode. Unless someone drops, nobody we would take at 9 excites me.

+1

As the draft gets closer and with the more I read and see I'm getting nervous that the Fresh Prince of Nebraska is looking like a true possibilty.............Fugggh.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm still 50/50 on trading up for Peterson OR trading down a few spots and taking the top Tackle on our board. I get nervous when Jerry trades down. He seems to do better with limited picks.

Reaction score
+1

As the draft gets closer and with the more I read and see I'm getting nervous that the Fresh Prince of Nebraska is looking like a true possibilty.............Fugggh.

Heard that. No corners or OT reaches. If you have to stay at 9, play it safe and get a pass rusher.

Top Bottom