sbk92

Reaction score
By Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas -- It seems as if Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones has sent a lot of you into a tizzy with his, “I’m not as negative on our cornerbacks as you might think,” comment from the Senior Bowl on Monday.

Just about everybody wants to fire Mike Jenkins and Terence Newman and a segment of you would like to see Orlando Scandrick somewhere else after the secondary struggled in 2010.

What Jones said Monday could very well be a smokescreen; that he has every intention of grabbing a cornerback with the No. 9 overall pick or would trade up to get the best corner, LSU’s Patrick Peterson. Maybe Jones believes the addition of new coordinator Rob Ryan will help the secondary play better because he will give them more protection.

Or maybe Jones believes the best way to improve a secondary is to improve the pass rush. Pressure makes a cornerback better. It means the corner has to cover less, can anticipate more and be more aggressive.

The Cowboys need more from Anthony Spencer but they also need more from their defensive line.

Of the Cowboys’ 35 sacks in 2010 only 6.5 came from the defensive line. That number has to get back to the 2009 levels in which the linemen had 14 sacks. Marcus Spears, Stephen Bowen and Jason Hatcher are scheduled to be free agents whenever a new system is in place. Bowen is the best pass rusher and showed he could be an every-down player after Spears went on injured reserve.

The Cowboys will need to replenish the defensive line. As you look to the draft, start paying attention more closely to the 3-4 defensive linemen available and remember that only two teams picking ahead of the Cowboys – Arizona at No. 5 and San Francisco at No. 7 – are expected to run a 3-4 in 2011.

sbk92

Reaction score
Yep.

We need an OLB, a NT and couple of DEs to groom in a rotation.

Oh, and we really need an ILB. Maybe two. I don't have any faith that Sean Lee can stay on the field.

Cythim

Reaction score
I am curious about the NT from Baylor, Phil Taylor.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1117626

Pass rush: Though his job is usually not to provide primary pass rush, he can push the pocket with strength and flashes quickness off the snap and a swim move to get past lesser centers. Gives good effort to reach the quarterback if he sits in the pocket too long. Tries violent hands to shed blocks. Not very effective on inside twists, though he can take out the left tackle when twisting outside to free up the defensive end. Once stood up by initial contact, it's tough for him to re-start his rush.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Yep.

Oh, and we really need an ILB. Maybe two. I don't have any faith that Sean Lee can stay on the field.

Here's hoping.

The guy looked pretty good in spots when he was on the field.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yep.

Why don't we just replace the entire defense?

Reaction score
I am curious about the NT from Baylor, Phil Taylor.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1117626

Pass rush: Though his job is usually not to provide primary pass rush, he can push the pocket with strength and flashes quickness off the snap and a swim move to get past lesser centers. Gives good effort to reach the quarterback if he sits in the pocket too long. Tries violent hands to shed blocks. Not very effective on inside twists, though he can take out the left tackle when twisting outside to free up the defensive end. Once stood up by initial contact, it's tough for him to re-start his rush.

I like Taylor, he's a former PSU guy, but he's been known to be lazy and has some off the field issues. Not sure im willing to spend a high pick on that kind of player.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I didn't realize our roster was so set on this 6-10 team.

It's not. But it would be the epitome of knee-jerk to suggest that in a single offseason we ought to consider replacing half of our starting lineup. That's a recipe for failure.

sbk92

Reaction score
It's not. But it would be the epitome of knee-jerk to suggest that in a single offseason we ought to consider replacing half of our starting lineup. That's a recipe for failure.

I didn't say replace half our starting lineup in one year.

Read it again. Sound out the big words.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I didn't say replace half our starting lineup in one year.

Read it again. Sound out the big words.

lol I love technicalities. You were only saying 4 starters and then a few DEs to work into a rotation which is something we were already doing so clearly half the starting lineup was a gross exaggeration on my part.

sbk92

Reaction score
lol I love technicalities. You were only saying 4 starters and then a few DEs to work into a rotation which is something we were already doing so clearly half the starting lineup was a gross exaggeration on my part.

I didn't even mention a starter for this year. I told you the positions we need to address. Whether they start of not.

Your comment just shows your lack of intelligence.

Top Bottom