Dupree89

In the Rotation
Reaction score
It really is amazing what coaching does for teams in the NFL. Watching this Patriots first drive says it all. Now, you can say..it helps when you have Tom Brady. But not on this drive. He is throwing flare passes, a quick out, a little flip to a RB in motion, and is handing off to RBs not nearly in Zeke's league. But they are methodically moving down the field.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It really is amazing what coaching does for teams in the NFL. Watching this Patriots first drive says it all. Now, you can say..it helps when you have Tom Brady. But not on this drive. He is throwing flare passes, a quick out, a little flip to a RB in motion, and is handing off to RBs not nearly in Zeke's league. But they are methodically moving down the field.

They look determined to beat the opponent. Took right at half the 1st quarter feeding them buckwheats then got the TD. 7-0 Pats.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score

" It would not shock me one bit to hear of Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett meeting with prospective coaches "

As if things will work out any differently then the past 9 years of Jerry and Jason picking various coaches.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Dbair you forgot the ugly play of the game where Dak actually hit good old Rico Gathhers right in the hands at 5 yards and he dropped it. I've seen enough of that experiment.

Its a Process and its still early in the Process. We're only 9 years in to the Garrett experiment by comparison.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just heard a stat that we have more playoff appearances than any other team in the NFL (I’m assuming they are only talking about in the SB era)

We used to have the highest winning percentage in the post season. I’m not sure if we still do with Garrett’s 2-3 record in the post season.

And this stat will fit nicely in the other Garrett thread. No team has allowed more rushing yards in the playoffs than we did last night

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I don't think we would have won anyway, but there were 3 or 4 plays that I think changed the game quite a bit:

1) The pretty ticky hands to the face call on Byron Jones, negating what would have been a punting situation, instead the Rams got a cheap 1st down on 3rd and 14 and scored a TD a few plays later.

2) Not completing that gimmee first down to Gallup on the final possession of the 1st half. We'd have easily been in FG range and Gallup might have even come close to scoring a TD himself.

3) The subsequent ridiculous sack ruling on the play Prescott got tangled up with Lael Collins.

3) The horrendous 4th and 1 play-call that resulted in Elliott getting stuffed to start the 4th quarter. It was still a game at 23-15 and we were driving.

4) The pretty obvious holding call that was ignored on Taco Charlton on the Rams 4th and goal TD to make it 30-15.

I kept thinking back to specifically to the "in the grasp" and the non-holding call on 97 as that, conservatively, took 3pts off the board for us (I think we were pretty close to FG range and this is of course assuming Maher makes the FG but we know 30-40yds is his kryptonite) and gave the Rams 7 (though I doubt 97 makes the play but still a blatant hold)
Thats 10pts though agree that we didn't play well enough v the run to win this thing
I'm still shocked, though I guess I shouldn't be, that we did dick to adjust to the run
The hands to the face was real, just stupid on 31 to do that...we needed to get off the field there...that put 7 on the board for them when maybe we could have held to 3 or 0
Despite being boat raced on the ground, it still seems that a few plays here or there would have changed the complexion of the game

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yep. At one point in the first half it could have definitely been 28-7 or even 35-7 had their LB not dropped that walk in pick 6.

Shit forgot about this play when posting about the plays that could have made the game closer...that was an easy 7 for them

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Isnt it up to the coaches at some point to intervene then?

By the way, I am pretty sure the Rams used a ton of motion all year. It isn't like it was invented for this game.

I had heard all week that the Rams O is actually pretty simplistic but that they run so many plays off of similar formations
You can see the jet sweep motion all game
Heard the Bears had success because they didn't play into the sweep motion and played their D with excellent gap control and pursuit

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The Chargers look worse than we did last night. It's like they left the 12 at home and only brought the -4...

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I actually think Fouts was better, while playing in a tougher era for QBs...but like I said, I DO think Rivers is a HOFer.

Rivers is a tough mutha though, could have thrived in Fouts era. Can't say that about too many QBs today.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Considering this is the only football game I'm going to be able to watch on my tv today I'm feeling pretty ripped off right now...

Top Bottom