theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Ian Rappaport just now on NFL Network...

Once their season is over, look for everyone to sit down and work out a lucrative long term deal for Jason Garrett to remain as head coach.

And...very good chance Kris Richard will officially be def coord next year.

I like Stasheroo's scenario a lot better.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Well fuck me!

Cowboys planning on extension for Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett will be back in the saddle for the Dallas Cowboys for a longtime to come.

Currently in his ninth season at the helm in Dallas, Garrett is likely to sign an extension whenever the offseason comes for the Cowboys, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Saturday morning. Dallas will make a strong attempt to lock him up.

"I'm told the Cowboys are positive that Garrett is going to be their coach going forward," Rapoport said on Good Morning Football: Weekend, "and after the season when this all ends, they do intend to begin negotiating a long-term extension with Garrett."

Garrett is under contract with the Cowboys through the 2019 season following an extension he signed in 2015 for five years and $30 million.

Another member of the Dallas staff set to return, as well, is Kris Richard, the team's defensive backs coach and defensive play-caller who was a popular head-coaching candidate. Richard was a finalist for the Miami Dolphins head-coaching vacancy, but as previously reported by Rapoport, that is expected to go to the Patriots' Brian Flores.

Richard is likely to be promoted to "full-time defensive coordinator" next season with current DC Rod Marinelli likely taking on a senior defensive assistant role.

"The Cowboys love this guy," Rapoport said, "cannot overstate what the players believe in Kris Richard."

And to Marinelli's credit, he "has been incredible regarding this situation giving play-calling duties to Richard," Rapoport added.

Following eight seasons with the Seattle Seahawks -- the last three as defensive coordinator -- Richard is in his first season with the Cowboys and they're happy to add to that.

The same goes for Garrett, whose squad posted a 10-6 record in the regular season and won the NFC East title. Garrett boasts a 77-59 record with the Cowboys, which includes just three playoff appearances.

Hence, when Dallas sputtered to a 3-5 start to the season, some pondered a possible dismissal of Garrett, but it's likely that was never in consideration.

"I never quite got the sense that Garrett was for real in trouble with the Dallas Cowboys," Rapoport said. "This is someone they've invested a lot in and really did believe, even when they were 3-5, that he was the coach of the future. Now they know for sure."

But the immediate future for the Cowboys is in Los Angeles as they look to upset the second-seeded Rams in the Divisional Round of the playoff dance.

Whenever the Cowboys' final ride of the season comes to fruition, Garrett's future in Dallas will be extended.

"They are very focused on this game," Rapoport said, "but after the playoffs they'll get down to business

Last edited:
Reaction score
Time to go into an NFL hibernation till the Garrett (and Jerry) era is over. Either that, or start following the Raiders a lot more closely when they (and I) move to Vegas. I can't be wasting any more of my life on this franchise if they are not going to get serious about winning any thing more than a wild card game.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
maybe this is just a way of jerry storing garrett in a closet until jerry needs to harvest his veal-like, tender, ginger organs

jerry is getting pretty old

OMG, thanks for the laugh. That is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
Time to go into an NFL hibernation till the Garrett (and Jerry) era is over. Either that, or start following the Raiders a lot more closely when they (and I) move to Vegas. I can't be wasting any more of my life on this franchise if they are not going to get serious about winning any thing more than a wild card game.
I have been in NFL hibernation since 4 games to go last season. I did not watch a single game this season. I will not support this team any longer as long as Garrett is coach. Since I cannot support any other team, I have quit the NFL except for a few forums I visit including this one. I quit buying Cowboy gear years ago in protest and decided to take it a step farther. I do not enjoy the Dallas Cowboys any more. How can I enjoy a team when I already know they will never make it anywhere. Jerry and Garrett have stripped all enjoyment from the game I used to love since the early 70's.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Jason Garrett is the very definition of failing up. He's today's, Jeff Fisher.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I have been in NFL hibernation since 4 games to go last season. I did not watch a single game this season. I will not support this team any longer as long as Garrett is coach. Since I cannot support any other team, I have quit the NFL except for a few forums I visit including this one. I quit buying Cowboy gear years ago in protest and decided to take it a step farther. I do not enjoy the Dallas Cowboys any more. How can I enjoy a team when I already know they will never make it anywhere. Jerry and Garrett have stripped all enjoyment from the game I used to love since the early 70's.

right there with you but I cant help but watch the NFL because its unfortunately the only sport that gets me excited but even watching other games gets me mildly irate because it reminds me of how bad jeri has fucked up the Cowboys

we're going on a QUARTER OF A FUCKING CENTURY, A GOD DAMNED CENTURY WITHOUT A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME APPEARANCE

PATHETIC!

Last edited:

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
and now the Eagles are looking like they're gonna to make make to back championship games or better

fuck me running

Last edited:

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jerry Jones sidesteps questions about Jason Garrett’s future
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 24, 2019, 6:28 AM EST
gettyimages-1084009942-e1548329286117.jpg

Getty Images
The owners who talk all the time had surprisingly little to say when asked about the future of their head coach.
Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is entering the final year of his contract. But when executive Stephen Jones was asked about a possible extension, he deferred to the ultimate decision-maker.

“I don’t want to get into discussing that right now,” Stephen Jones said, via Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “That’s a Jerry question.”

When his father Jerry was asked later, he offered no more clarity.
“I wouldn’t discuss anything about any contracts that we had,” the owner said.

To let his head coach go into a lame-duck season is an interesting approach, considering how highly the elder Jones thinks of Garrett’s job prospects elsewhere.

But the chatter about a possible run at Saints coach Sean Payton will not go away, and refusing to talk about Garrett’s security does nothing to make it stop.

If it makes Garrett feel any better (spoiler alert, it shouldn’t), Jones also wasn’t talking about a possible extension for quarterback Dak Prescott, now that they finally can. But the size and scope of quarterback contracts make it complicated.

“It’s a part of the overall business of the Cowboys, and I look at that often. I do,” Jerry Jones said. “So, there’s no starting to look at anything. I’m keenly aware of where they are and where they can be, relative to how we’re going to allocate the dollars. I doodle on it every day, I do. I doodle on everything — noodle and doodle on it. I’d look like a madman if you ever got my noodling. But I think about it often.

“That’s where the substantive work comes in, just in how you’re going to go and it being madness if you didn’t take into consideration where you may end up relative to your allocation of where you’re going to spend your money — which is what it’s about. You’ve got to have a feel for where you’re going to be so you can plan. You don’t necessarily get them in sequence, and so you’re signing other people that are on down the line and you’re allocating money for them. Theoretically, you’ve got to have saved enough to do what you need to do with some of that.”

Of course, it would would be easier to noodle and doodle if there was a clear vision of the future of the team’s head coach, but that doesn’t seem to be anything either Jones wants to delve too deeply into.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I am not gonna get my hopes up but media tweets earlier said Garrett has been dodging the media the last couple days. I know its probably nothing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, has not talked to the press either day down at pro Bowl, the media saying this is not like him at all

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So much for everyone’s predictions that Garrett was going to get fired if he didn’t at least win more than one game in the playoffs

My only hope is that Rhynie was right when he said Garrett was getting fired at the end of the season no matter what

Alas, it looks as that will not be the case....

Top Bottom