bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1544404138-CowboysEagles_AL024.JPG

ARLINGTON -- The Dallas Cowboys haven't locked up the NFC East, but it's going to be difficult for anyone to pass them now. I believe it's a 98 percent chance Dallas will win the division for the second time in three years. Things change fast in the NFL. No one saw this coming when Dallas was sitting at 3-5.

Here are my thoughts on the Cowboys sweeping the Eagles with a 29-23 overtime win Sunday at AT&T Stadium:

1. Not a great game for Dak Prescott. Playing against an injury-riddled secondary, the Cowboys quarterback threw several bad passes, his worst being the two interceptions. Dallas entered Sunday 1-7 in games when Prescott throws more than one interception. And then he lost another fumble. His ball security has been a problem all season. For most of the day, Prescott was having one of his worst games, especially considering the personnel and injury-riddled Philly secondary. However, his greatest trait may just be his resiliency. After the Eagles tied the game in the fourth, Prescott locked in and drove Dallas down the field, capping the series with a beautiful ball in the end zone to Amari Cooper for 28 yards. He followed it with a 75-yarder to Cooper. And then there was overtime. Obviously, Prescott has to be much better if the Cowboys are going to have any chance of making a playoff run.

2. Sometimes you have to trade a first-round pick to save your season. The Cowboys did that when they traded for Amari Cooper. Everything has changed since making that move. Cooper has been exactly what the offense and Prescott needed. He is almost always open and he makes big plays. There's no question the Cowboys have to lock the 24-year-old up long-term. Something else that sounds out about Dallas' No. 1 receiver: He doesn't complain when he's not getting the ball. He was never checked Sunday by a corner who could hang with him. But he didn't seem to complain when he wasn't getting the ball early. His patience paid off. One of his greatest strengths is his ability to not get too high or too low.

3. The Cowboys' defense is elite. They've established it at all three levels. They're not going to shut teams down every Sunday, not with the way the game is officiated nowadays. But they're good enough to lead this team on a postseason run if the offense can take care of the ball and make a handful of key plays each game.

4. The Zack Martin injury is a serious concern. He did not return and it's the same knee that's been bothering him all season. Connor Williams seemed to play well at right guard in Martin's absence, but it would be a major blow to be without the All-Pro right guard, especially because Tyron Smith isn't close to 100 percent and Travis Frederick is done for the year. The Cowboys have been relatively fortunate in the injury department up this point. Martin would be a tough loss to overcome.

5. Brett Maher set the franchise record with his 62-yard field goal before half. He also made attempts from 28 and 21 yards. Although he missed from 45, the Cowboys probably don't win this game without him. The same can be said of the Dallas tight ends, particularly Blake Jarwin and Dalton Schultz. They made some huge plays on the same day ESPN reported that Jason Garrett has attempted to talk Jason Witten out of retirement.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Elite defenses don't give up two 4th qtr touchdowns with the game on the line. They stuff the other team and end it.

Granted, we did lose two sacks in the 4th qtr because of penalties, but still.

When you are playing with a QB that you know is always going to be hot & cold on a week to week basis, you cant choke the way the D did there in the end.

I would bet good money that while Garrett will never admit it, he went for it on 4th down in OT because he knew the defense wasn't going to stop Philly when they got the ball back.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Both defenses were tired, so I was all for going for it on that 4th down.

Why would our defense be "tired" though? We rotate guys constantly, we had the ball more than twice as much game time as Philly (45:33 to 22:32) and we had almost double the number of plays they had (93 to 48)

They weren't tired, they just played like crap those last two drives. To me it ruined what otherwise was a pretty dominant performance.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They weren't tired, they just played like crap those last two drives. To me it ruined what otherwise was a pretty dominant performance.

The game was tied at 9 with something like 8 minutes to play. We should have destroyed a decimated Eagles D. The D played well and held as long as they could. They were also hampered with some bad field position on Dak's fuble and his INT. The D played well.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
They were also hampered with some bad field position on Dak's fuble and his INT. The D played well.

Which is why I'm not too hard on them. If Dak protects the ball this is a totally different day for the D. It helped that the Eagles tried to make Wentz a runner in a couple of key situations. He went nowhere.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Which is why I'm not too hard on them. If Dak protects the ball this is a totally different day for the D. It helped that the Eagles tried to make Wentz a runner in a couple of key situations. He went nowhere.

This is two weeks in a row the Cowboys themselves have kept their opponent in the game. I know Dak ended up having a good day, but those two picks were brutal! One of them put Philly right back in the game. Dak has to relax and stop playing like he has an extra dose of caffeine in that pocket. He cleans that up and Dallas might make some noise.

Dupree89

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I won't spend any time griping about our defense- even though I wish we were better at covering TE's, but that would be my only complaint.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Eh, Dak was all over the place mostly, but that 28 yarder to Coop was a dime, and that drive in OT was a credit to the whole offense. Dak still has to get it out faster, and PROTECT THE FUCKING BALL.
The defense is pretty good, but I'd hold up on that "elite" talk, at least for now.
I think we can all agree the officiating was putrid, and Eagles fans complaining about it is delicious.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The game was tied at 9 with something like 8 minutes to play. We should have destroyed a decimated Eagles D. The D played well and held as long as they could. They were also hampered with some bad field position on Dak's fuble and his INT. The D played well.

They played great for 3 1/2 quarters +. They played like shit those last two drives (save the two sacks that got negated by penalties). Bad coverage and horrendous tackling.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

The Bears offense was worse than ours last night, you didn't see their D fold late in the game.

Just sayin.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I am still not buying into this. JG is still the HC.

Yep, with a competent HC and QB, this team could make a nice playoff run. As it is, if they play Seattle in the first round, I could easily see them going down.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I won't spend any time griping about our defense- even though I wish we were better at covering TE's, but that would be my only complaint.

That wont change until next year when they resurrect Earl Thomas something I expect to happen.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That wont change until next year when they resurrect Earl Thomas something I expect to happen.

Cant say I am overly interested in seeing them pay a 30+ yr old safety with multiple major leg injuries the past couple yrs.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
I am thankful for a realistic forum that is not crushed for pointing out obvious pain points. Have not been posting much due to a job change. Still appreciate all of you.

Reaction score
Why would our defense be "tired" though? We rotate guys constantly, we had the ball more than twice as much game time as Philly (45:33 to 22:32) and we had almost double the number of plays they had (93 to 48)

Guys get fuckin tired by the 4th quarter. FFS why sperg out on me over such a mundane comment?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Guys get fuckin tired by the 4th quarter. FFS why sperg out on me over such a mundane comment?

LOL

No sperging. Just not buying they sucked at the end because they were tired.

They let down. Now it should have never came to that and wouldn't have if Prescott had played better the first 3 quarters, but the defense did allow two bad touchdowns to end the game and force OT.

Macksfield

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Let's test your theory of the board....
I understand young QBs must learn and gain experience, but am baffled that our QB in his third year is still learning how to be an accurate passer and still learning that if you hang onto the ball to long you will be crushed..... Wait for it....

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let's test your theory of the board....
I understand young QBs must learn and gain experience, but am baffled that our QB in his third year is still learning how to be an accurate passer and still learning that if you hang onto the ball to long you will be crushed..... Wait for it....

So what exactly are you asking Mack? The board is split just like most people. All is excused with a win and Dak is the next Aikman, Brady, Montana, Marino, Elway, etc. Don't you know all those guys missed open receivers, didn't complete every pass and had some bad games?

Top Bottom