Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Men, last week it happened. To the shock of all sports writers, TV talking heads, pundits and naysayers.

In the class 6A div. 2 Texas HS playoffs area round, it happened.

Without throwing or even attempting a single pass, while running the ball over 60 times for nearly 500 yards, the Amarillo Tascosa Rebels snuffed out a high scoring, "air raid" metroplex team, to advance to the state quarterfinals.

They run and have for years, the wing-T offense from the fucking 30s.

Imagine it. In today's pass-happy era, a team running an offensive system from the 30s, advances past a Metroplex team with faster, bigger players and cutting edge offensive and defensive systems.

Lining up and hitting them in the mouth all day, still works. The level of focus, execution and attention to detail required to run the wing-T is towering. You can have no mistakes, no mental errors, and no penalties. You can't have dumb players. It's real football.

I don't see them getting past their quarterfinal opponent though, a really good for years, annual deep playoff runner. But excitedly, I'll be watching at Jones Stadium in Lubbock when this collision of worlds happens.

Army runs the wing-T too, and we will be treated to a bowl game featuring them this month as well.

Football survives!

Reaction score
It would be like an NFL team dominating with the Wishbone. Would love to see it for one season.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The team they beat without any passing was Mansfield Lake Ridge. Before that they dominated Arlington High. Next opponent, Haltom City. Here's a write-up on the Lake Ridge game: Texas high school football playoffs: Amarillo Tascosa vs. Mansfield Lake Ridge | Fort Worth Star-Telegram
It would be like an NFL team dominating with the Wishbone.
Wishbone though it has similarities, is more of a sledge hammer compared to the more surgical precision of the wing-T, but yeah. What I'd really like to see, is an NFL team obstinately run the wing-T.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Old Jim Hamilton over at Seagraves Tx ran the wing T and what he called striker 5 def ( 5 man wheel) and dominated his district for years and one state title. And yes, that is real football.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Was listening to one of those college football shows on ESPN a week or two ago and there were two guys on speculating that many of the lower end Power 5 teams (like say a Kansas) could eventually go back to running the wishbone or true option football type offense like Ga Tech, Navy and Army run. They said clearly Ga Tech these teams were all an example of why that system helps makes up for talent deficiencies, they also noted Army nearly winning at OU this yr, and how well Navy in recent years has played vs just about everyone. Even Citadel gave Alabama fits for a half employing this type scheme.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
REAL football alert!

Army-Navy game about to get underway. SeeBS.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
NAVY not looking good.

After their run of 14 straight its a tough pill to swallow seeing ARMY win.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I should have posted this earlier. Navy all of a sudden playing now.

They changed quarterbacks like I'd been yelling for since midway through the 2nd quarter. Get that senior on the bench and look to the future. But alas, too little too late.

Meanwhile Amarillo Tascosa is leading Haltom 42-20 entering 4th quarter.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
48-27 final. Tascosa advances to state 6A semifinals vs. Longview.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I was hoping they were in the same bracket as SL Carrol, but alas, they are not. That would have been an intriguing match up.
Probably for about a quarter. I don't think they have either the manpower or the wherewithal to stand up against SLC or any other of the 6A Div 1 teams left.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
They changed quarterbacks like I'd been yelling for since midway through the 2nd quarter. Get that senior on the bench and look to the future. But alas, too little too late.

Meanwhile Amarillo Tascosa is leading Haltom 42-20 entering 4th quarter.

At least it was a game in the last 10 minutes.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Tascosa advances to state 6A semifinals vs. Longview.
After being down by 21 at the half tonight, Tascosa was able to make it a shootout with a "air raid" team, gave it a valiant fight including recovering an onside kick, and scoring a quick TD on a hook & ladder play, but wound up losing 45-42. Longview advances to the state championship next week.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Wing-T Army, vs U of Houston. Armed Forces Bowl from Ft. Worth. On now, ESPN. Army nursing a slim lead at half.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Wanna see some DEFENSE? Two teams with combined 16 Div. 1 commits, defenses allowing only 10 ppg and 6.5 ppg respectively... On right now Galena Park North Shore vs. Duncanville for the 6A division 1 state championship. It's 7-3 North Shore right now, 6 minutes left in 1st qtr.

EDIT: Duncanville just scored with a classic crossbuck handoff, it's 10-7 Duncanville with 5:34 left in 1st qtr.

Tune in, Fox Sports Southwest.

Top Bottom