NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
What we saw tonight was a DEVIATION from DESPERATION. We knew we wouldn't be winning a shootout, weren't going to hang a fortyburger on them so we DESPERATELY went to what Marinelli and other way over-conservative defensive coordinators call a "kamikaze approach." Which is Jimmy Johnson's core philosophy. ATTACK. EVERY SNAP.

ATTACK with upfield pressure, not this crap of defensive ends looping around the outside. Not the crap of "read and react." ATTACK with pressure up the middle. ATTACK with press coverage not zones or "Tampa 2" shit. Occasional corner blitzes from the offense's left side, not LB blitzes from the left...

ATTACK not "bend but don't break." Was what we did tonight.

Which is anathema to Marinelli and Garret's "risk averse" core philosophy.... That is if they actually have one.

What we saw tonight won't repeat. It was opponent-specific and I had calculated it was the only way we had a chance of winning this game. And I assumed even the most idiot dolt among them must have calculated it too.

They will now pat themselves on the back, talk about how "lucky" they were that this worked, surprised at how well it actually did work, not learn jack shit from it, and sheepishly go back to their crap defensive philosophy.

You read it here first.

Watching defensive football was a welcome change. Its great football! But like you said, the Red Clown will deviate. I went to bed last night thinking what a great win, but then remembered we still have Garrett. Woke up thinking the same thing. He's like a dark cloud hangin over this team.

MI Cowboy Fan

Spectator
Reaction score
Whatever IT was, it worked. And it worked for 60 minutes.

There have been times (on and off) during a lot of games this year where the defense would look dominant for stretches but eventually lapse back to being average. Last night they kept it going from kickoff till games end though.

I hope it becomes the norm. We definitely have a handful of primo defensive pieces in place.

d,
Agree also, 90, 55, (who, BTW, better be a top runner for Rookie Def. Player of Yr. discussions, IMHO), 54 are just seeing everything happening at warp speed. The goal line stand was just awesome, I think I woke the neighbors!! LOL!

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Wasn't expecting to wake up to that scoreline. I thought what D-Law said would backfire on the team, but credit where it's due, he and the D walked the walk.

4 game win streak, with last nights being against a legit top team. Everything seems to be trending in the right direction. Yet I still have this nagging feeling the season is still going to finish with an almighty gut punch.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Wasn't expecting to wake up to that scoreline. I thought what D-Law said would backfire on the team, but credit where it's due, he and the D walked the walk.

4 game win streak, with last nights being against a legit top team. Everything seems to be trending in the right direction. Yet I still have this nagging feeling the season is still going to finish with an almighty gut punch.

Jason+Garrett+Dallas+Cowboys+v+Oakland+Raiders+_E6K2GcENaFl.jpg

Reaction score
LVE was the the missing ingredient, and he is elevating the play of those around him, especially the Gimp who himself is playing like a pro bowler lately.

Also, the whole secondary... just what can I say? Interceptions to seal victories, tight coverage so that even if the pass is complete the receiver is immediately tackled instead of catching a pass with at least a 5 yard cushion of free space to allow for extra yards after the catch, and then feeble "business decision" non-tackles, and the ability to cover in either zone or man to man. Oh, but we were going to be sorry for moving on from the Legion of Boobs according to the IdiotZone.

Best defense since the Jimmy era, and this kind of lock down of one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history will hopefully fuel the fire to become even better.

The real question is what to do with Sean Lee. Perhaps it is time for him to take a spot duty role so that he can prolong his own career, and not be a progress stopper for the young guys who are currently kicking ass and taking names.

Reaction score
One more thing, this was much more of a football game to me. I'll take a great defensive battle of 13-10 any day over an arena bowl 54-51 Rams Chiefs game even though the victory margin was the same.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
but then remembered we still have Garrett. Woke up thinking the same thing. He's like a dark cloud hangin over this team.

That's why I am very curious to see how we play this next game. I hope it doesn't turn into another Tennessee flop.

If they beat Philly next week in impressive fashion (not saying we have to win by 3 or 4 tds, but play well for 60 mins and prove we are better than them in a huge game with postseason implications) I might start believing in them a little.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
^^^^^ This! J. Smith and LVE played lights out! I mean, 54 was lighting up everybody, and lucky he didn't get a penalty on the hit on Kamara.... But that was how he was playing all night, just whacking people. I think 54 was the game MVP!

How 'bout them phucking cowboys!

I heard the rookie linebacker say they play aggressive and if they make "errors of aggression", so be it.

Thats a core belief of mine in poker that applies to football and many other areas of life and I have been dying for the Cowboys to start living and dying by this philosophy

hope they don't go back into a shell, if you're gonna get in a fight, at least go down swinging

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
LVE was the the missing ingredient, and he is elevating the play of those around him, especially the Gimp who himself is playing like a pro bowler lately.

Also, the whole secondary... just what can I say? Interceptions to seal victories, tight coverage so that even if the pass is complete the receiver is immediately tackled instead of catching a pass with at least a 5 yard cushion of free space to allow for extra yards after the catch, and then feeble "business decision" non-tackles, and the ability to cover in either zone or man to man. Oh, but we were going to be sorry for moving on from the Legion of Boobs according to the IdiotZone.

Best defense since the Jimmy era, and this kind of lock down of one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history will hopefully fuel the fire to become even better.

The real question is what to do with Sean Lee. Perhaps it is time for him to take a spot duty role so that he can prolong his own career, and not be a progress stopper for the young guys who are currently kicking ass and taking names.

I want to see it consistently for 60 mins over a few games before I proclaim them similar to the Jimmy D's, but the talent is there.

Like I said in another post, with maybe one exception this year (the TN game) they've had parts of virtually every game where they looked really, really good defensively. But then they lapse a little, miss a tackle or two or blow a coverage and give up momentum. That wasn't the case last night so hopefully it's a real stepping stone to being a strong defense week in and week out.

I have to admit I was worried that some of our "defensive success" in terms of stats was due to our level of competition from an offensive standpoint, but the Saints are unquestionably one of the 3 best offensive teams in the league and the Falcons are very good as well. The Colts will be a very interesting test in two weeks as well and Tampa sux as a team, but their offense has been pretty explosive all year. We'll really get a gauge on what this defense is after the Colts and Bucs games.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
One more thing, this was much more of a football game to me. I'll take a great defensive battle of 13-10 any day over an arena bowl 54-51 Rams Chiefs game even though the victory margin was the same.

AMEN amigo

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Headline today "Saints unhappy with missed helmet to helmet call on Kamara"

But apparently they were completely ok with getting away with the blatant face mask/head contact on our QB, the somewhat dubious offsides call on Gregory that negated a sack/fumble and the pretty obvious push-off on their only TD of the night.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I was going to post this last night, I thought this might be one of the higher rated TNF games ever, turns out it was THE highest. Still wish they would dump it though.

PFT: Saints-Cowboys produced top overnight rating in Thursday Night Football history

Reaction score
Headline today "Saints unhappy with missed helmet to helmet call on Kamara"

But apparently they were completely ok with getting away with the blatant face mask/head contact on our QB, the somewhat dubious offsides call on Gregory that negated a sack/fumble and the pretty obvious push-off on their only TD of the night.

Calls were missed both ways which is fine by me. It's when Dallas is under the microscope with hadn't-been-called-in-30-years head scratchers while the other team is free to hold until the heat death of the universe that I have an issue.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

1 and done here we come!

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
3293be0bc2503b9fea9558e6d9fc7ecb.jpg

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I was dubious when the flag was thrown, but it's clear that he had both hands on Coop's arm. Absent the hold, that's probably a completed pass.

vlcsnap-2018-11-30-10h15m12s785.jpg

Reaction score

Steven A. Smith was distraught with the Saints on Twatter. He knows he has a big shit burger to eat on his show.

I'm happy to eat crow after a game like that. I thought we had about a 1% chance of winning because anything can happen, but I honestly thought we would get blown out 40-something to 20-something.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Steven A. Smith was distraught with the Saints on Twatter. He knows he has a big shit burger to eat on his show.

I'm happy to eat crow after a game like that. I thought we had about a 1% chance of winning because anything can happen, but I honestly thought we would get blown out 40-something to 20-something.

I’m with ya there
I thought the same thing. I believe my quote in the pick em thread was “we stand zero chance of winning this game”

Or something along those lines
I’m happy to be wrong on this one. My only concern now is that this stands a high chance of helping Garrett to keep his job next season and get a contract extension to boot

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score

I will happily eat crow.
I will happily give credit to the defensive effort, I especially enjoyed that goal line series.
I'd bet future NO opponents will study that tape to get the "blueprint", as will NO to adjust itself.
But I still have zero faith Garrett will keep his ignorant hands off shit. I'm hoping the defensive staff doesn't let the players read their press clippings too much, there's still a hill to be climbed.I'm hoping our illustrious QB coach will tell Dak to make decisions quicker, get the ball out or run, you're not having a board meeting back there.
I've been down Garrett's yellow brick road before, ain't seen the Wizard yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom