Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fred is the best center in Cowboy history I dont think its debatable. Manders and Rafferty were nice players but not in Freds category. And its no coincidence that the line play has much improved since he basically became the new O Line coach FWIW.

Stepnoski was pretty good and an outstanding technician. Pound for pound though, Ray Donaldson was pretty darn good even though we got him later in his career and only had him for 2 seasons.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes I know, do you?

5 Super Bowl victories (about 10% of the total wins) are not "outliers". Further, those same two coaches were perennial playoff teams with those same types of QB's.

Philly last year I'd say is an "outlier" or "fluke". Baltimore you could say is an "outlier"

You're talking 2 coaches in the history of the NFL. And two of the greatest coaches in NFL history, no less. The odds of us finding one of these guys is rare. If that's what it's going to take to help Dak improved, we're fucked. Is that what you're hanging your hat on? Really?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Stepnoski was pretty good and an outstanding technician. Pound for pound though, Ray Donaldson was pretty darn good even though we got him later in his career and only had him for 2 seasons.

Concur. Donaldson 2nd best center we had though I really consider him a Colt.

Dustdevil

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Donaldson was a nice change of pace. Step and most Cowboy centers were small, mobile guys. Donaldson was a big guy that matched the rest of the OL.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Bailey hooks yet another one for the Vikes... Way wide left with no chance on distance either. Missed 2 last week as well.

Looks like we made a good move cutting him.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Further to the C debate earlier. Derek Kennard was a dependable, savvy pro who started at C during the Superbowl XXX run.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The way Jacksonville's defense finally showed up for once today was a nice blueprint for playing Indy. If only we had coaches who knew what to do with it...

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I watched the entire Packers game earlier, and it was putrid. Worst usage of Aaron Jones in weeks, and neither Rodgers or McCarthy can lead that team anywhere...

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprise I haven't heard Josh Gordon's name today. With all the corners out for the Vikings, if you got him the ball he should be able to do some damage.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprise I haven't heard Josh Gordon's name today. With all the corners out for the Vikings, if you got him the ball he should be able to do some damage.

Just like that pass Patterson just caught, except better...

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I can't wait to hear Belichick's perspective on that little exchange with Thielen...

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You're talking 2 coaches in the history of the NFL. And two of the greatest coaches in NFL history, no less. The odds of us finding one of these guys is rare. If that's what it's going to take to help Dak improved, we're fucked. Is that what you're hanging your hat on? Really?

Do you think its hopeless for Dak to improve in the areas he is weak in?

I have my doubts but I remember reading about how Romo accuracy wasn't that great when he came into the league and then he obsessively practiced all the time, wearing out David Lee, his couch and his buddies practicing obsessively. Seems like accuracy is a muscle memory issue (& arm strength to a degree) that can be improved.

pocket awareness, reading defenses and anticipation I'm not so sure

I'm still hopeful for Dak but I have many of the concerns you've mentioned

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Bailey hooks yet another one for the Vikes... Way wide left with no chance on distance either. Missed 2 last week as well.

Looks like we made a good move cutting him.

which begs the question, who's making good decisions at the ranch because for all our criticisms, I have to acknowledge there appears to be some pretty good stuff going on with the cowboys

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Nah, I'm gonna Zoner out and hope a Big 12 offensive "guru" can save us.

Or maybe Mike McCarthy, even though his allpro QB thinks he sux and has a stake offense that ranks about the same as ours (or worse) most years lately.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You're talking 2 coaches in the history of the NFL. And two of the greatest coaches in NFL history,

Right, but that proves my point. Coaching matters. Prescott wont get it from Garrett and Linehan, but he might from someone else.

The odds of us finding one of these guys is rare.

Well we have had two of the all-time best ever here.

If that's what it's going to take to help Dak improved, we're fucked. Is that what you're hanging your hat on? Really?

Let me ask you this, do you believe Garrett is "average" or "run of the mill"?

Or is he lousy?

Now granted, Jerry has only hired one really great coach since he owned the team here (although he had the right idea with Parcells, who was just burned out and only cared about the money IMO by the time we got him) but unless you believe Garrett is good or about average, then at least TRYING to make a chance to give Prescott a better chance would seem to make sense.

Personally, I think Garrett is really lousy and so is Linehan. The odds we'd get somebody just as bad (or worse) are relatively slim IMO.

Top Bottom