dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I pilfered this from that other forum so the opening commentary isn't mine. Interesting stuff though. I do like both these guys as talent analysts for the draft etc etc. Jeremiah actually worked for several NFL front offices and Brooks played in the league.

So Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks (two nfl analyst I actually respect) did a podcast today on how to build a championship caliber roster. They broke the list down into 5 different categories. Bucky did mention that the Cowboys may be closer than most think. They both mentioned the Rams as the team that probably has it all. Anyways here is their 5 keys to building an elite roster:

1. QB - I think it’s self explanatory. They mentioned how Dak is iffy sometimes he looks like the guy, sometimes he isn’t. The jury is still out.

2. Two very good pass rushers. They both said Lawrence definitely fits. Daniel said they need another elite pass rusher. While Bucky said Gregory or Irving both have that ability if they get their stuff together.

3. 3 playmakers on offense who can score on any play. They both mentioned Zeke and Cooper fitting that bill. They mentioned Beasley but said he’s only a role player. Daniel said an elite TE could put this offense on another level.

4. 3 playmakers on defense besides the two very good pass rushers. They were both confident we had this down with LVE, Jones, and jaylon. That without mentioning a healthy lee would give us 4.

5. 3 very good to elite OL. They said we definitely have that with Smith, Martin , and a healthy Frederick. Said we’re in much better shape then most teams in that area.

Finished by saying your team needs at least 12 blue chip players to really compete for a championship. Just an interesting podcast thought I’d share.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i dont think most of that criteria fit the patriots on any of their super bowl wins

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
i dont think most of that criteria fit the patriots on any of their super bowl wins

Yep. The podcast leaves out the #1 most important thing to build a championship team.

"It's the coaching, stupid."

You might need at least 12 'elite' players to win a championship if you have shit coaching. But you could have 30 of those - be two deep in them at every position - and be a one and done playoff team.

The podcast is shit.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

They've had the advantage of the best HC, coaching staff and QB in the league since basically 2001.

But a lot of those teams were loaded quality talent too. You might need to go do some homework there icup.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
2 through 5 is meaningless if you don't have #1. We've spent a #1 on Cooper and and probably millions to re-sign him so he can be a decoy to open things up for Zeke. That's our O in a nutshell. And Cooper will play along to get paid.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yep. The podcast leaves out the #1 most important thing to build a championship team.

"It's the coaching, stupid."
Is there a greater example of coaching making a difference than McVay with Goff, or firing that O Line coach from Cincinnati and replacing him with an empty chair.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The best roster the pats ever had lost in the sb

Their 1st super bowl they had a defense and a rookie brady to beat a team that more closely resembles the criteria you posted (greatest show on turf)

Last edited:

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
"4. 3 playmakers on defense besides the two very good pass rushers. They were both confident we had this down with LVE, Jones, and jaylon. That without mentioning a healthy lee would give us 4."

One problem with this one. One of those four need to be in the secondary. An average secondary doesn't cut it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
"4. 3 playmakers on defense besides the two very good pass rushers. They were both confident we had this down with LVE, Jones, and jaylon. That without mentioning a healthy lee would give us 4."

One problem with this one. One of those four need to be in the secondary. An average secondary doesn't cut it.

It CAN cut it if the pass rush is consistently good. We do have one really good corner that teams stay away from however. But our other corner, Auizue or whatever his name is, they do pick on. This was no more evident than last week.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It CAN cut it if the pass rush is consistently good. We do have one really good corner that teams stay away from however. But our other corner, Auizue or whatever his name is, they do pick on. This was no more evident than last week.

Awuzie is reminding me a lot of Orlando Scandrick. He's seemingly always in position to make a play, but doesn't because he refuses to look back for the ball. Even on plays when he sees the WR starting to extend his arms/hands he wont look back.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The best roster the pats ever had lost in the sb

Their 1st super bowl they had a defense and a rookie brady to beat a team that more closely resembles the criteria you posted (greatest show on turf)

They had great rosters other than just 2007, especially defensively.

Dude go back and look at their teams stats and how many people they put into the probowls. Even the 2001 was pretty loaded on defense (although some weren't household names at that time yet)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
2 through 5 is meaningless if you don't have #1. We've spent a #1 on Cooper and and probably millions to re-sign him so he can be a decoy to open things up for Zeke. That's our O in a nutshell. And Cooper will play along to get paid.

What would you suggest he do? Not give any effort to do anything and sulk?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What would you suggest he do? Not give any effort to do anything and sulk?

Not at all. If I was Cooper, I'd get paid. You can tell the guy is a quality WR. But he won't get the ball here.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not at all. If I was Cooper, I'd get paid. You can tell the guy is a quality WR. But he won't get the ball here.

It might take a new HC/OC and possibly a new QB to ever see his status as "premier" WR fully realized.

Reaction score

No way. You need playmakers at every level.

The greatest pass rushers of all time couldn't make every pass play into a pressure. It's impossible.

The LB's and secondary have to bridge the gap between the snap and when pressure arrives.

Here's the thing: The pressure mostly doesn't arrive in a time a true professional QB can't deal with. Even with the greatest defensive fronts.

Most of the time QB's don't face real pressure and especially if they have any/all of a great running game, WR's, or OL.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
No way. You need playmakers at every level.
In a perfect world.

The world of the NFL makes having playmakers at every position impossible for all but the truly elite organizations. You know those, the ones that have a great front office and excellent coaching that can make merely servicable guys into playmakers. Can put scrubs in the Pro Bowl and annually are in the Lombardi tournament to the semifinals. There's only 3 or 4 such teams in this league.

Hell, even Jimmy's 90s teams fit that meter. We didn't have playmakers at all positions. But we had the COACHING to get the very best out of who we had, and even 3 deep in the depth chart at most positions particularly the d-line.

Our front seven back then MADE our secondary of the time.

Top Bottom