dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Roger Staubach forever defined what constitutes a successful football season in Dallas, when after winning our first Super Bowl he told Brookshier, "I'm just glad to finally have a successful season."

Amen

Reaction score
Those of us that grew up with Tom Landry and Clint Murchinson, know that Jerry is a losing hand. The beginning of the end was firing Jimmy and signing Dionne Sanders. then when Jerry promoted himself to GM in 2002, his first pick was Quincy Carter. that set us back 5 years and its been hell ever since. I guess up a spoiled Cowboys fan. My first 20 years we only missed the playoffs once and never had a losing season.

Reaction score
Thank you. Too bad our current ownership and front office is so unstable and unstructured. IMHO, I thought the Sanders trade prevented us from signing players like Larry Allen, etc,. That 90's team should have won more than 3 super bowls.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Thank you. Too bad our current ownership and front office is so unstable and unstructured. IMHO, I thought the Sanders trade prevented us from signing players like Larry Allen, etc,. That 90's team should have won more than 3 super bowls.
Yeah Jerral gave up way too much for a guy who didn't want to tackle.... Had Stevie at his throat, literally from what I've read.

Reaction score
Mel Renfro is still the best Cb that ever put on a Cowboy uniform anyways. Still has a better return avg. and was one hell of a tackler.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
FYI-IIRC, there was no trade for Deon, he was signed as a free agent

and here's the video of Jimmy recruiting Deon at Super Bowl 28 in Atlanta (further proof that Jimmy wasn't planning on quitting right before jeri fired him):

Jimmy Johnson recruiting Deion - YouTube

Reaction score
Well.... Jimmy himself was actively recruiting Deion before he was fired.Carter came to us in the 2nd round, 53rd overall, in the 2001 draft.

Welcome to the DCU by the way.

Qcar was actually our first pick that year, because the fuckin moron GM traded away our first rounder for Joey Galloway. Following that with drafting a QB that most experts had going undrafted was all the clue we needed to know how the next two decades would play out.

Reaction score
Yeah Jerral gave up way too much for a guy who didn't want to tackle.... Had Stevie at his throat, literally from what I've read.

The strategy was to bust up the all-star team Tagliabue allowed the 49ers to get away with. It didn't matter what team Sanders went to as long as he wasn't on the 49ers roster. It worked, at least as far as squeezing one more SB ring out of the 90s Cowboys.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Mel Renfro is still the best Cb that ever put on a Cowboy uniform anyways. Still has a better return avg. and was one hell of a tackler.
I agree with all this. DBs dont tackle anymore. Mel was part of the greatest Cowboy draft ever, 1964, him, Hayes and Staubach all HOFers. I long for those days.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Those of us that grew up with Tom Landry and Clint Murchinson, know that Jerry is a losing hand. The beginning of the end was firing Jimmy and signing Dionne Sanders. then when Jerry promoted himself to GM in 2002, his first pick was Quincy Carter. that set us back 5 years and its been hell ever since. I guess up a spoiled Cowboys fan. My first 20 years we only missed the playoffs once and never had a losing season.

Jerry will tell you he was GM from the day he bought the team.

That said, 2002 wasn't his first draft calling the shots. His first draft came in April of 1994 after he ran Jimmy off, and other than a few exceptions (like Larry Allen) his drafts from 1994-2001 were just horrendous.

Q was drafted in 2001 by the way, along with fellow bust Tony Dixon.

408Cowboy

Spectator
Reaction score
All I got out of that post is that there are still people alive that willingly convince themselves that Jerrah has a fucking clue as to what he's doing. It's a sad time to be alive.

mbalar

Spectator
Reaction score
Tony Romo GM

suggestion---jerry jones quits as GM---Makes Tony Romo GM- Romo picks new Head coach-Romo could lead cowboys to promised land

Reaction score
suggestion---jerry jones quits as GM---Makes Tony Romo GM- Romo picks new Head coach-Romo could lead cowboys to promised land

Yeah, I don't think so. Romo is too soft to get us where we need to be regardless of what role he takes. Plus, he has no experience which comes back to another problem with Cowboy-land these days - hiring people with no experience for jobs that require experience.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Romo with his yuk yuk good guy type persona is the absolute LAST thing this team needs.

We need someone who hates loosing and will hold everyone accountable when they do!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Why would you think Tony Romo would be a good GM?

This is the same guy that thought Jason Garrett was doing a whale of a job as OC and HC.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Why would you think Tony Romo would be a good GM?

This is the same guy that thought Jason Garrett was doing a whale of a job as OC and HC.

Funny how all the big supporters of Garrett as players dont sing his praises once they move on. Have their eyes been opened or they were just trying to be good team guys? Maybe both, but Im sure whatever the case may be that both Romo and Witten will resent Garrett more and more as time goes by for not giving them the best chance to succeed and win.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Funny how all the big supporters of Garrett as players dont sing his praises once they move on. Have their eyes been opened or they were just trying to be good team guys? Maybe both, but Im sure whatever the case may be that both Romo and Witten will resent Garrett more and more as time goes by for not giving them the best chance to succeed and win.

So basically you are saying both of them were dumbasses that couldn't see the forest for the trees then.

Reaction score
Jerry will tell you he was GM from the day he bought the team.

That said, 2002 wasn't his first draft calling the shots. His first draft came in April of 1994 after he ran Jimmy off, and other than a few exceptions (like Larry Allen) his drafts from 1994-2001 were just horrendous.

Q was drafted in 2001 by the way, along with fellow bust Tony Dixon.

Jerry and Donald Trump do have a lot in common, don't they.

Top Bottom