Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I mean, Cooper's only 24 so he's far from washed up. He's never been a diva type, and he IS talented and speedy. Desperation move to give up a 1 for him, but he definitely is a threat to score with any given touch, and defenses will have to pay attention to that.

Bye week to work him in with some easy stuff, then bring on more. Might be just what he needed.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
you see gallup get open on sundays and dak just doesnt see it or anticipate it. and cooper and gallup are the same size so i dont think dak will see cooper get open any more than gallup

can the cowboys look in the rulebook to see if its illegal to use reflective marker lights on helmets or jerseys ??/

theyre like $3 at tractor supply... very sensible price, and we keep all our draft picks

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
2) Headline grabber after another bad loss going into a bye week, to deflect criticism of his truly pathetic HC and underachieving team

Sounds about right, I think our secret GM is Rich "rebel" Dalrymple ( Siri added "rebel" so I went with it LOL )

Last edited:

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I mean, Cooper's only 24 so he's far from washed up. He's never been a diva type, and he IS talented and speedy. Desperation move to give up a 1 for him, but he definitely is a threat to score with any given touch, and defenses will have to pay attention to that.

Bye week to work him in with some easy stuff, then bring on more. Might be just what he needed.

Maybe third times the charm, eh? ( isn't this the third big trade for a receiver? )

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Over the past three seasons, Cooper has had a drop rate of 13.62 percent, which ranks fourth-worst in the NFL (among qualifying receivers) behind Torrey Smith (16.82), J.J. Nelson (15.91) and Raiders teammate Seth Roberts (14.39).

Wrote Scott Barrett of PFF: “Cooper led the league in drops (18) and drop rate (20.0 percent) in his rookie season (2015), but then seemed to get past the issue in 2016, dropping only four passes. In 2017, Cooper again led the league in drop rate (17.2 percent). Not only are these numbers bad, but they’re historically bad. Since 2007, there have only been three players to see at least 100 targets and post a drop rate of 17 percent or worse: Braylon Edwards (2007 and 2008), Greg Little (2011) and Cooper (2015 and 2017)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I like the player and I suspect a change of scenery is good for him, but he's only under contract for the rest of this yr and next yr and we gave up a 1st to get him (which right now is the 9th overall pick I think I read)

If the season goes bad we're likely parting with a top-10 pick for the guy, and at that point he 1) needs to be a probowl caliber player for us, or at least very close and 2) we'll have to sign him to a mega contract extension

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe third times the charm, eh? ( isn't this the third big trade for a receiver? )

One upon a time we traded for Terry Glenn too (although lower draft pick)

We also traded for Brice Butler!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep it does seem to be Jerry's default move when his QB sucks.

Troy Aikman didn't suck when we traded for Joey Galloway.

Galloway actually didn't suck either when we traded for him, he just unfortunately blew out his knee in the first game he ever played for us, which also ended up being Aikman's last NFL season.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I like the player and I suspect a change of scenery is good for him, but he's only under contract for the rest of this yr and next yr and we gave up a 1st to get him (which right now is the 9th overall pick I think I read)

If the season goes bad we're likely parting with a top-10 pick for the guy, and at that point he 1) needs to be a probowl caliber player for us, or at least very close and 2) we'll have to sign him to a mega contract extension
Yep the price is too high and looks like it will be too high to compensate him. It just is what it is. It's not like there's a ton of receivers on the FA or trade market at all anyway.

But one thing this does is put the team in position to be able to tell Dak come contract time, "Look son. We gave up our first round pick to help you, and you're still a bed wetter. We're not signing you to a big deal."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Fellas, you are gonna love this.

What's interesting is Dez didn't really have bad hands until his last year or so here. I don't recall Cooper ever displaying bad hands at Alabama either. So for whatever reason, both developed bad tendencies after they had established themselves in the league.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Over the past three seasons, Cooper has had a drop rate of 13.62 percent, which ranks fourth-worst in the NFL (among qualifying receivers) behind Torrey Smith (16.82), J.J. Nelson (15.91) and Raiders teammate Seth Roberts (14.39).

Wrote Scott Barrett of PFF: “Cooper led the league in drops (18) and drop rate (20.0 percent) in his rookie season (2015), but then seemed to get past the issue in 2016, dropping only four passes. In 2017, Cooper again led the league in drop rate (17.2 percent). Not only are these numbers bad, but they’re historically bad. Since 2007, there have only been three players to see at least 100 targets and post a drop rate of 17 percent or worse: Braylon Edwards (2007 and 2008), Greg Little (2011) and Cooper (2015 and 2017)

Its concerning for sure. Hopefully it's something our crack staff can help him work through.

Top Bottom