bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1537745981-cowbriefs_0924spo37.JPG

SEATTLE -- There's not much for the Cowboys to feel good about after that poor showing Sunday in Seattle. There were bad penalties, not enough pass rush, more offensive struggles and turnovers.

Here are my thoughts on the Cowboys falling to 1-2 after a 24-13 loss to the Seahawks at CenturyLink Field.

1. What a frustrating day for Ezekiel Elliott. He rushed for over 100 yards for the first time this season, but there's no way he's pleased with that performance. He dropped a catchable ball on third down, missed on a block while trying to cut a blitzing linebacker, stepped out of bounds on a play midway through the second quarter that would've gone for a touchdown, and then fumbled in the fourth quarter after breaking a big run. His play basically summed up how Dallas' day went. No one played well throughout on either side of the ball. But for all the problems the Cowboys had, Elliott is the least of their worries. It's unlikely he'll have another day like that in a while.

2. It obviously didn't decide the outcome, but the Randy Gregory unnecessary roughness penalty is inexcusable. The poor decision late in the first half gave Sebastian Janikowski a much more manageable field goal try in the final seconds. It was bad enough that Dallas couldn't manage to bring Russell Wilson down in the backfield. They didn't need to help with those types of penalties. Wilson, who was sacked six times in each of Seattle's first two games, was sacked only once Sunday. Dallas came into the game ranking second in the NFL in sacks, with nine.

3. The passing game continues to be a disaster. Dak Prescott's first half numbers: 6-of-13 passing, 40 yards, no touchdowns, one interception, a 21.3 passer rating and zero rush attempts. Did Prescott throw the ball well? No. But when he was on target, the ball went through receivers' hands in key moments, leading to a pair of interceptions. I'm not sure when they'll get the passing game going, but it doesn't appear to be any time soon. And where was the quarterback in the running game? The Cowboys entered Sunday 9-2 when Prescott carried five or more times. He rushed twice for 21 yards.

4. The coaching staff frequently talked about the offense being "behind the chains" so much in the season-opening loss at Carolina. That was the excuse for the poor showing on third down. Well, they didn't face those long third downs Sunday, but they were just as poor at converting, going 3 of 13 on third down. If the passing game doesn't get fixed, don't expect that percentage to improve much against quality opponents.

5. Earl Thomas couldn't have had a better showing against the team he wants to play for. He led Seattle in tackles, had two interceptions and capped his performance with a bow to the Cowboys sideline. The question has to be asked, though: After watching Sunday's game, why would Thomas want to leave the Seahawks and join the Cowboys? It doesn't matter if he attends training camp or even practices during the week, Thomas is one of the most dominant defenders in the game. And I think his price tag just went up.

Reaction score
To think this team was scared to give up a 2nd rounder for ET when that was the asking price... those same 2nd rounders we like to waste on projects that never work out, shitty TEs, and other players no other franchise planned to draft above round 5, if at all.

Not that it would make all that much difference with ET here. He'd make some noise for a little while, then the culture of the team would get to him too.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Bottom line: If this team doesnt win in the trenches, they dont win. Today they got their asses handed to them. Gave up 5 sacks on offense and got a measly 2 against a brutal O Line that leaked like a sieve up til today.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i hold hope that there is a molecule of johhny walker blue that is floating around out there and has not yet killed jerry jones

i also have hope that this molecule will one day realize its potential and finally run a HB Dive right through that mans liver

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
im finna empty a full clip of tweets in this bitch

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
im finna empty a full clip of tweets in this bitch

Thats a whole lotta depressing reading right there

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

Reaction score
Mondays after a loss are my favorite days. I love unhappy homers more than almost anything.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Offensive play design of the game:

Tavon Austin, probably the smallest player on the team. Motions inside and lines up as a TE, then tries to run block.

Predictable outcome, Zeke runs to where the play is designed to go, gets trampled by the guy Austin was trying to block for no gain.

And this isn't the FIRST time they've tried something like that this year.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It occurred to me that maybe Connor Williams was more strategic than we thought. Could he be the LT a year or two from now and Tyron Smith gets sent packing? His play has slipped noticeably and he makes a shit load of money. D Ware was never the same player after he started having neck issues. Every player on the team should be trade bait if the return makes the team better.

Dupree89

In the Rotation
Reaction score
"A team will be better off if they get rid of players a year too early, rather than a year too late".
- Branch Rickey

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
"A team will be better off if they get rid of players a year too early, rather than a year too late".
- Branch Rickey

Does the same thing apply to coaches?

Look at the damage that's done by keeping fucktards like Garrett in place for as long as he has had.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It occurred to me that maybe Connor Williams was more strategic than we thought. Could he be the LT a year or two from now and Tyron Smith gets sent packing? His play has slipped noticeably and he makes a shit load of money. D Ware was never the same player after he started having neck issues. Every player on the team should be trade bait if the return makes the team better.

I do think he was taken at least partially with the idea that if the worst case scenario happened with Tyron at some point, we had a guy who could potentially kick over there.

Collins certainly isn't capable of playing LT.

I said it last week and still believe it this week, IMO Collins has been the worst of the 5 starters so far this year.

I do think some are exaggerating the Tyron "decline" though. The one play he got beat on yesterday it sure looked like Clarke was offside by a decent amount, and it wasn't flagged. He did the same thing again later on Collins too and wasn't flagged there either.

I 100% believe the drop-off in OL play has more to do with the person coaching them (Alexander) than the players themselves.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Does the same thing apply to coaches?

Look at the damage that's done by keeping fucktards like Garrett in place for as long as he has had.

Absolutely not in Dallas. The computer with legs should be getting fired for third time end of year. 8.5 years fuck that, 3 years dont think so, if things arent headed in the right direction end of year two, your ass should be grass.

Dupree89

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Only thing with Tyron.....he seems to be good for a holding penalty at the worst time. Or false start. Something.

Top Bottom