dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think this would have to qualify as the worst season opening debacle the Cowboys have had since 2002 (losing to expansion Houston). It was a complete shitshow and utter disgrace of a performance by the coaching staff.

2010 we scored only 7 pts in the loss at Washington, but Alex Barron infamously pretty much lost that game on his own. Of course the upside about that season was Wade got shitcanned at midseason, one can only hope Garrett follows in those footsteps.

1) You'd be hard pressed to ever find a more inept example of team preparation than what we saw yesterday. They couldn't block, couldn't tackle all that well, had penalties galore, special teams failures, bad passes, missed assignments. It looked like what you would expect a division II or division III offense going against Alabama or Georgia to look like.

2) What a horrible job done by Garrett and Linehan offensively. Carolina's defense is not very good in the secondary, and we never tested them. Horrible play calls and play designs. Extremely slow developing run plays defeated easily by a Carolina front that was aggressively stacking the line and covering gaps. No push whatsoever by OL in the 1st half. As noted by others online via tweets, the offensive production the last 6-8 games we've played is atrocious, and clearly warrants major attention. Linehan should probably be fired, but I don't know who they'd use as OC at this point. Garrett has proven 100% incapable and Moore has no experience whatsoever.

3) Garrett has played or coached football all his life, yet still routinely blows even the easiest game management decisions. Case in point yesterday was choosing to go for it on 4th and 10 at midfield, despite having all their TO's remaining. Carolina was never going to be able to move the ball at that point, in which case we'd have gotten the ball back with very little time lost and probably have gotten the ball back around midfield. It was just a painfully stupid decision by a painfully awful HC.

4) OL was missing one starter, and got completely whipped vs the run and pass. Gave up 6 sacks, numerous run plays stoned for no gains or losses and had numerous (at least 4, maybe more) penalties. New OL coach looks like a massive failure right now.

5) They (coaches) must give Dak Prescott no real ability to audible out of plays. If not, then he must have a very limited ability to diagnose a defense and get the team into a better play call. Either way, it's a huge problem as too many times we appeared to stick with run plays against stacked defensive fronts, even though Aikman noted multiple times throughout the game that opportunities to really test their secondary presented themselves because of the fronts Carolina was playing. There were very few (if any) intermediate to long designed pass plays called, and they certainly never changed a play to something like that.

6) Prescott had a number of poor throws yesterday, including one to Jarwin that was so awful that he was caught seemingly laughing about it as he walked off the field. Wide open down the seam, and Prescott threw a ball that had zero chance of being caught.

7) For all the talk about how good the defense would be, I wasn't overly impressed. They gave up only 16 pts and less than 300 yards which looked good, but I really expected us to be in the backfield even more against their beaten up OL, and they really weren't. They also gave up too many completions over the middle, many to wide open guys. The pass rush was hit and miss, and only generated 3 sacks. On one play 3 of our guys had Newton in the backfield for an easy sack and he still escaped.

8) Even setting aside the awful game planning and total lack of adjustments, what really stands out to me is how poor this team is fundamentally. The blocking was atrocious, the tackling was very shoddy and special teams was also poor. Being able to block and tackle is something good coaches stress and well coached teams are able to do. We are obviously not one of those.

9) Randy Gregory stat-line: no tackles, no pressures, no sacks, no QB knockdowns, one concussion suffered.

10) Why anybody would give Terrance Williams reps at WR over Gallup, Austin or anyone else on our teams is beyond me.

11) I never heard them say at the beginning, did clown coach win the toss and elect to receive again?

Really don't have anything else to say. Would love to believe its just one bad game due to almost no real work done during training camp/preseason, but I don't. Garrett is the worst coach in football and it appears we have assembled the worst assistant staff in the league as well. Our team is in a serious hole before the kickoff of a game ever starts, and it clearly appears we are headed to another wasted year and continued run of massive mediocrity. Its hard to even like this team when its 100% apparent that the owner doesn't value good coaching or giving the team (and its fans) the best chance to win games.

I think we could see it get really ugly Sunday night v NYG.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
They weren't prepared for Newton to run, which is insane, because that's his strength. Also, Lee didn't distinguish himself yesterday.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
They weren't prepared for Newton to run, which is insane, because that's his strength. Also, Lee didn't distinguish himself yesterday.

Lee had one single tackle

I can’t ever remember a game like that from Lee

Bay10

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Lee looked bad. This is concerning.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What a horrible job done by Garrett and Linehan offensively. Carolina's defense is not very good in the secondary, and we never tested them.
Chicken and egg argument, do they have personnel to challenge any secondary.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
) OL was missing one starter, and got completely whipped vs the run and pass. Gave up 6 sacks, numerous run plays stoned for no gains or losses and had numerous (at least 4, maybe more) penalties. New OL coach looks like a massive failure right now.
Honestly this is the most concerning of all since this is supposed to be their rock, and where all the money is spent. Short stole Williams lunch money, man hood, you name it.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
They weren't prepared for Newton to run, which is insane, because that's his strength.
I couldn't believe that easy bootleg TD he had. How does the DE crash inside so hard there when you know that's a staple of what Cam does? It's basically the only thing he does well.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I couldn't believe that easy bootleg TD he had. How does the DE crash inside so hard there when you know that's a staple of what Cam does? It's basically the only thing he does well.
How does a team fall for that RPO shit a full 6 years after falling for it when RGIII and the Skins were running it? The common denominator of course is Garrett.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
5) They (coaches) must give Dak Prescott no real ability to audible out of plays. If not, then he must have a very limited ability to diagnose a defense and get the team into a better play call.
The real problem is that I dont think anybody on the sideline can either. McVay does it for Goff and last year it worked wonders.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
6) Prescott had a number of poor throws yesterday, including one to Jarwin that was so awful that he was caught seemingly laughing about it as he walked off the field. Wide open down the seam, and Prescott threw a ball that had zero chance of being caught.
For the love of god do not pay this guy.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
9) Randy Gregory stat-line: no tackles, no pressures, no sacks, no QB knockdowns, one concussion suffered.
You bought in on this loser too Dbair. Its amazing how much easier it is to run around a 3rd stringer in the pre season than a starter in the regular season. Concussion should be good for about a month off.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
For the love of god do not pay this guy.

Im no QB coach guru like Red and Helen but I can see that Dak is inconsistent with his mechanics and the regression is real. The Garrett affect has taken hold. And its just who Dak is in many ways on top of that. His first year the book wasnt out on him and the OL and Zeke played well enough that Dak wasnt exposed. Now he's been exposed and I cant see that he will ever duplicate anything like his rookie year again.

Reaction score
How does a team fall for that RPO shit a full 6 years after falling for it when RGIII and the Skins were running it? The common denominator of course is Garrett.

This is the main thing for me with Garrett. How is it that he cannot learn from the past? Even a person of low intelligence can recognize patterns, and take steps to counter them.

That's really the difference in low versus high intelligence in most cases is the speed with which patterns are recognized, and adapted to. Higher intelligence equals faster recognition and adaptation.

I don't take Garrett for a stupid person, but I cannot fathom the lack of adjusting behavior. He's the frog that keeps giving the scorpion a ride across the pond even though he's been stung every previous time. It boggles the mind.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Im no QB coach guru like Red and Helen but I can see that Dak is inconsistent with his mechanics and the regression is real. The Garrett affect has taken hold. And its just who Dak is in many ways on top of that. His first year the book wasnt out on him and the OL and Zeke played well enough that Dak wasnt exposed. Now he's been exposed and I cant see that he will ever duplicate anything like his rookie year again.

sadly, he appears to be heading down the same road as RG3

alas, it was a beautiful mirage while it lasted

Top Bottom