Reaction score
Amidst the Rubble, Romo Having Career YearBy John Fennelly on Oct 21, 2010, 7:41 am

http://www.giantsfootballblog.com/2010/10/21/amidst-the-rubble-romo-having-career-year/

Dallas QB Tony Romo is having a career year. He is averaging 313 yards passing per game, has completed almost 70% of his attempts and has a 93.6 passer rating. His 10 TD strikes place him 4th in the NFL – tied with Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Eli Manning.

Romo has been sacked only seven times in 206 attempts, one more than the league-leader, Peyton Manning, and has not fumbled once. He has thrown seven INTs, but that stat is misleading since five of those seven picks were off tipped balls.

So why are the Cowboys a 1-4 team this year?

“None of us here thought we were going to be in this situation” Romo told reporters yesterday. “You don’t work as hard as we do and commit to every day and doing the things we do to be like this. It’s not fun. It’s not enjoyable and you have to figure out a way to win and get yourself out of this and that’s what we’re trying to do right now.”

He does not feel the season is lost, but he knows a defeat Monday night could seal the Cowboys’ post-season fate.

“I think that the season is not over yet, so as a competitor and as an athlete, you’re always going forward and trying to get better and improve and trying to turn it around when you get in those situations. All I know how to do is to work hard and keep your head down and go forward. It’s still the first quarter of the season – it just ended. So, for us, it’s about trying to play our best football game this week and trying to get a win. We are really in a hole here and we need to come out and play our best game this week.”

Romo knows a win will go a long way to helping this team overcome more than just their bad start, but their confidence issues as well.

“Well, it would give you a good feeling at the end of the week for all of the time and training that you have to put in. I think for us, we have to play well. We have to play well this weekend to win, to beat these guys. I think that it would be an important stepping stone going in the right direction for the rest of the season and it would just hopefully carry over, but we need to put in a lot of work this week first….I don’t know that you ever think of one game as a…it’s not the playoff game where you win or lose and your season is either over or you keep going. It’s obviously important and we do need this win and it’s getting to that point where the season hinges as you continue to go forward. I don’t know when that is, that specific game. You never know how it’s going to turn out. You never know if 8-8 gets you into the playoffs or 12-4. It’s just that the season will play itself out the way it is supposed to. I do know that this is very important. We need to play our best game this weekend.”

He was asked to give his assessment of the Giants, a team that has been disabling quarterbacks almost weekly and whose running game is back in gear.

“Yeah, they’re doing some good things. I think that like any team it’s always turnover ratios and things of that nature are always the big thing – when you get them and you’re not giving them up, I think that matters a lot. When you watch, it’s tough to get down the field and score on these guys. Long drives are difficult, they’re good. They get minus plays, they run the football, they’re well coached, and they’re good players.”

Finally, Romo was resigned to analyze his team’s strengths and failures.

“I think that for us, every team gets magnified or dissected depending on whether you win or lose, so when you’re losing, you’re not doing anything well, and when you’re winning, you’re doing everything well and everyone is a great player and everyone is a great coach and the rest of it, so…that’s part of the world we live in playing in the National Football League and once you understand that, it’s easier to look to the little things that can separate each game and figure out what those are that can get you over the hump. For us, it’s just minimizing mistakes, some things we have to do to get better. The good things are…each game is a little different, we do different things well. I think we’re moving the ball pretty well up and down the field watching teams…we haven’t been able to win at the end of the day and that’s really what the objective is, so that’s what matters.”

quotes courtesy Giants communication dept

sbk92

Reaction score
Romo's a Super Bowl winning QB with real leadership at the top.

Lets see Tom Brady play for Jerry Jones and Wade Phillips and win a championship.

C

Cr122

And people are calling him overrated..wtf ever.

Get him some protection and he would be even better.

sbk92

Reaction score
Garrett is an asset. I don't know that there's another coordinator who can get more out of this offense with complete shat along the offensive line.

If you know anything about football, you know the real problem with our scoring. And it isn't the play calling. That's the usual scapegoat for the ham and eggers.

Reaction score
If he averages 313 yards a game he will throw for more than 5000 yards this season, damn

Overrated, haha

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Garrett is an asset. I don't know that there's another coordinator who can get more out of this offense with complete shat along the offensive line.

If you know anything about football, you know the real problem with our scoring. And it isn't the play calling. That's the usual scapegoat for the ham and eggers.

You being the cheap date that you are, know about ham and eggers. Now you're quoting Bobby "the Brain" Heenan. No surprise... he favors Parcells some. LOL!!!

Yeah because against the Redskins with 4 FUCKING SECONDS LEFT... in the half, and down 3-0 AND... on our OWN 30-YARD LINE, which means we would need to march 70 YARDS IN FOUR SECONDS TO SCORE Or 35 yards to possibly get into FG range which includes setup ALL IN 4 SECONDS, he decides to call a fucking play instead of TAKING A KNEE! That was all the Oline's fault of course! You say the problem is scoring...yea, we were actually going to score on 70 yards with 4 seconds left.

4 games into the season he decides to utilize Felix more, but I guess that is all the Oline's fault---even YOU said that Felix made the Oline look better than what it is, which is probably true, but how does that absolve Garrett in neglecting to use him in the first place?

Look... the Oline is crap. Period. But there are plays that Garrett could have and should have ran that would take pressure/reliance off of the Oline; the WR bubble screen for one. We could have won the Titans game with it. He ran it earlier on one drive twice and reaped benefits and then leaves ti alone. We down to the goal line and he tries to Felix twice and when that doesn't work, he calls some stupid hitch pass to Felix that gets busted up. If he'd call a bubble screen to Austin down there, it'd been a TD.

The fucker out thinks himself. He's not an asset. He's just an ass.

Reaction score
Superbowl 2010: Steelers VS Giants

This matchup will embarass our pathetic owner the most I think because the Skin's aren't good enough to make it...

Jerry needs to be humbled to his knees, the broke dumb bastid.:effyou

C

Cr122

Why not let Jerry see the Steelers, a real franchise hoist another Lombardi trophy in the air.

Reaction score
Whatever NFC team goes will be the AFC's whipping boy.

The top 6 or so teams (if not more) are in that conference.

tiny tim

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I don't want to see the Steelers win another Super Bowl. They allready have 6. I think the Colts and the Giants would be an interesting Super Bowl.

Reaction score
I don't want to see the Steelers win another Super Bowl. They allready have 6. I think the Colts and the Giants would be an interesting Super Bowl.

Oh shit . . . I forgot completely about the Colts.

They're not as good this year, but I'm shifting my Super Bowl rooting interest towards the Colts.

Peyton Manning is the greatest QB in NFL history (Elway 2nd). I'd like to see him win another ring or two.

sbk92

Reaction score
The Steelers are the best team in the league. They're odds on favorites to win their 7th Lombardi.

Reaction score
The Steelers are the best team in the league. They're odds on favorites to win their 7th Lombardi.

The best team in the league in October might not be the best team at years end.

Most of the time, it's about who gets hot at the right time. See 2007 Giants. Or 2009 Cowbo . . . wait, bad analogy.

Reaction score
New York Giants WR Steve Smith strains pectoral, getting tested

New York Giants WR Steve Smith strains pectoral, getting tested

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Giants wide receiver Steve Smith suffered a strained pectoral muscle during practice Thursday and will undergo further tests.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Smith tried to practice after the injury but couldn't finish.

Big Blue In Review

With the Giants soaring into the second half, ESPNNewYork.com hands out its midterm grades. Guess which QB-crushing unit is at the head of the class? Giants Midterm Grades

"He had trouble driving his arms after the injury so he couldn't continue," Coughlin said. "But I don't have anything to tell you until they do all the tests."

Smith's status for Sunday's game against the Cowboys is uncertain. If Smith cannot play, Mario Manningham will start opposite Hakeem Nicks and Ramses Barden will move up to third receiver.

Smith is quarterback Eli Manning's security blanket across the middle. He has 47 receptions for 517 yards and three touchdowns this season.

Coughlin said Smith was extending himself for a pass across the middle when he got hurt.

"It was kind of a blur for me because I didn't realize he had done anything," Coughlin said. "He tried to move his arms and that type of thing and he had some pain up in his pec area. We will have to wait and see."

When asked what Smith brings to the lineup that is so hard to replace, Kevin Gilbride sounded a bit like an offensive coordinator who will be without his Pro Bowl receiver this weekend.

"He's the most polished receiver we have," Gilbride said. "He's a guy who has really earned the respect of the defense to such a point that so many of the things they do are designed to stop him. I think people basically have said it's hard to cover him one-on-one inside so people have committed other people and additional resources ... so that either opens up running opportunities for us or passing opportunities for other people. It's a huge loss, but we'll make do."

Smith was not in the locker room after practice to talk to reporters. If he can't play, the Giants (6-2) will have to face the Cowboys (1-7) without a Pro Bowl receiver who has absolutely terrorized the Cowboys' secondary. In the Giants' 41-35 win on Oct. 25, Smith had nine receptions for 101 yards and a touchdown.

Smith also had 10 catches for 134 yards in a win in Dallas last year as well. In his last three games against the Cowboys, Smith has compiled a total of 25 receptions for 345 yards and two touchdowns.

But he isn't the only Giants wide receiver to have success against Dallas. Manningham had 10 catches for 150 yards and a touchdown against them last season in a win in Dallas and he scored against them this season as well. And Nicks leveled the Cowboys for nine catches for 108 yards and two touchdowns in their last meeting.

Top Bottom