dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You are partially right about Leary. Leary never played C. Jonesboys need a OG that can also play C. That was why Jonathan Cooper was signed in 2016 and did well both years as Jonesboy.

Leary was a tackle in college that had the same knee problem Mack had at UCLA. Leary converted to OG signed as a UDFA. Leary never played C. You want one of your starting OG to have experience at C or be able to move to RT. See John Fitzgerald, Tom Rafferty, Mark Stepnoski, Ray Donaldson, John Gesek, and Crawford Ker. All played OG and C. This keeps your line from going to crap when you loose a C or an OG. If your C goes down the starting OG can move to C, and you plug in a G which usually is one of your back up T.

Larry Allen type is what you want at pure G which is a former OT converted to G. See also Nate Newton, Kevin Gogan, and Herb Scott all converted T to G. At the Tackle position you want to get a pure LT which are hard to find/high premium draft pick or a LT that can play RT or a RT that can play LT. See Smith RT converted to LT, Collins LT converted to RT/OG, and Jim Cooper pure T. Rayfield Wright played basketball and TE before HOF LT for the Cowboys. The Dallas Cowboys were so good at converting 4-3 DT to LT/RT see Mark Tuieni, Pat Donovan, and John Fitzgerald was a DT converted to C (rare).

Unless Leary could play T in the NFL, he was one dimensional as a OG with no ability to swing to C. Jonesoys should have kept Cooper. You lose your C and do not have a strong back up that can play OG you are what you are now.

Honestly I don't care he cant play C. the point was he was far better at LG than Cooper or Collins were.

Its great if you can have a backup interior OL that can play both C & G (especially if you are a team that only keeps 7 OL active on game days) but we signed a guy who can backup at C, and we signed this former Texan guy who has started at G. I'd bet he'll be active on game days and they'll make Z Martin the emergency backup C.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Tyron Smith was 11 pounds heavier than Connor (307lbs), was faster/quicker than Connor, and was 3 reps better at 225lbs and 7 reps at better at his pro day than Connor (31 reps vs. 26 reps). Finally no one was talking about moving Tyron Smith to OG. Connor Williams maybe should be your RT with Collins back at LG. But its too late to move now.

I gave you those facts without insult. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

There's a USC alum that peruses our forum so we can have him chime in if you like, but Tyron Smith's weight was talked about a lot during draft time that yr, and was continued to be discussed through training camp and preseason. He was very lean.

Pretty sure Connor Williams' move inside to G was due to similar reason as Zach Martin coming out, arm length. Not that neither could play out at T and not do well, but I think there was already plenty of discussion about Williams moving inside before we ever drafted him. Some draft people even said Williams could play C.

As for the rest of your facts, none of that discounts the fact that Williams is almost assuredly going to get bigger and stronger as he stays in our weight program, and fully develops/grows out.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Because he's better than the other guys we have?

Did you not see that dumpster fire backup OL we had out there in preseason?

So we got rid of Cooper for guys who can't play or aren't ready to play. Swell.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So we got rid of Cooper for guys who can't play or aren't ready to play. Swell.

1st, we didn't get rid of him, he was a free agent and signed elsewhere.

2nd, he wasn't any good anyway

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Being reported by Shefty and Crappaport Browns are going to release Josh Gordon.

Jerry?:biggrin

Reaction score
Being reported by Shefty and Crappaport Browns are going to release Josh Gordon.

Jerry?:biggrin

I had a few thoughts on this as soon as I saw the report come up in the headlines:

1) Gregory wants to know if Gordon is bringing his stash with him.

2) RKG

3) Dez might once again be chillin' with the Browns.

4) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I had a few thoughts on this as soon as I saw the report come up in the headlines:

1) Gregory wants to know if Gordon is bringing his stash with him.

2) RKG

3) Dez might once again be chillin' with the Browns.

4) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!
LOL

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I dont see how bringing Gordon in makes much of a difference when the QB couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. Hell if having him here makes the thing implode, then hurry up and get here Josh Gordon.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
One report stated that he was cut because he showed up late to practice and that he also showed up high

Plus he was on thin ice as it was so I doubt they gave him much leeway on any of his shit

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
One report stated that he was cut because he showed up late to practice and that he also showed up high

Plus he was on thin ice as it was so I doubt they gave him much leeway on any of his shit

In other words, likely more trouble than he's worth.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Apparently we decided to look at the Arizona Cards cuts, because we just re-signed Brice Butler

Just what we needed, another extremely below average player to add to the roster.

On top of sucking on the field, he was one of the guys that absolutely through the coaches and organization under the bus after he signed with Arizona.

Reaction score
There's a USC alum that peruses our forum so we can have him chime in if you like, but Tyron Smith's weight was talked about a lot during draft time that yr, and was continued to be discussed through training camp and preseason. He was very lean.

Pretty sure Connor Williams' move inside to G was due to similar reason as Zach Martin coming out, arm length. Not that neither could play out at T and not do well, but I think there was already plenty of discussion about Williams moving inside before we ever drafted him. Some draft people even said Williams could play C.

As for the rest of your facts, none of that discounts the fact that Williams is almost assuredly going to get bigger and stronger as he stays in our weight program, and fully develops/grows out.

Got those numbers from the NFL Combine and USC pro day results. Tyron Smith weight was never an issue. He was lean because he was built like a Impi Zulu Warrior vs. most OL. Tyron out of high school was 275. At the Combine and Pro day he still was built like this but was rock solid 307 pounds. Zach was 308 out of Notre Dame with 29 reps of 225lbs. Connor is both lighter in weight and not nearly as strong as either Tyron or Zach.

441092_display_image.jpg

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Josh Gordon traded to Patriots for 5th rd pick.

Dan bailey signed with Vikings

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
****** Zoners going ape shit that we didn't trade for Josh Gordon.

I just looked up his stats. You'd think they believe he is Jerry Rice or Michael Irvin or something. Dude has had ONE good season since he came in the league. He has been suspended multiple times. he's a guy who had one 1000+ yd season and has never had 10+ TD's.

On the same board their personnel gurus have also started a thread about Rod Smith being more of a receiving weapon that Zeke too.

This is of course on top of the Rico Gathers is really Antonio Gates on roids.

These are some serious retards.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
hey gais!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Josh Gordon was really good that one season in 2013!!!!! Remember that????

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Got those numbers from the NFL Combine and USC pro day results. Tyron Smith weight was never an issue. He was lean because he was built like a Impi Zulu Warrior vs. most OL. Tyron out of high school was 275. At the Combine and Pro day he still was built like this but was rock solid 307 pounds. Zach was 308 out of Notre Dame with 29 reps of 225lbs. Connor is both lighter in weight and not nearly as strong as either Tyron or Zach.

441092_display_image.jpg

I know where you got them from, you used Google just like any slob could.

This is from an article right after we drafted him, this is one of many that cited the lack of bulk his SR year and some of those draft pundits wondered if he had the body type to maintain weight over the long haul. Of course he was only 20 when we picked him, and he has gained weight and strength ever since. Just as Connor Williams will.

Smith weighed 285 pounds last season, way too light by NFL standards. He's worked with a nutritionist to bulk up while staying lean - he's built sleek, more like an NBA power forward than a Nate Newton-esque lineman - and has met the challenge of maintaining his new weight.

"It feel healthy, it feels like natural weight for me," he said.

Jones said the Cowboys' initial evaluation of Smith was that he needed to gain weight. The fact he put it on, kept it on and remained svelte was what shot him near the top of our draft board.

Top Bottom