dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Why in the heck do you have a practice squad if you are not going to take coal and turn it to diamonds? .

Wait, now your suggesting every team turns all their practice squad players into legitimate NFL starters and role players?

You truly are a Zoner.

Reaction score
Wait, now your suggesting every team turns all their practice squad players into legitimate NFL starters and role players?

You truly are a Zoner.

Where do you think David Irving, and all the other DT the cowboys did not draft came from? It was not the Cowboys practice squad. The only reason the Cowboys are good at raiding other teams practice squads is the foundation established by Will McClay when he was head of pro personnel (now over the whole department under Stephen).

However, the Cowboys have not managed their own practice squad to develop players are keep the right ones. Which is why you rarely see a Cowboys practice squad player move up to the cowboys starting roster unless a waive of injuries at the position.

You always have an insult without thinking are doing your homework.

Last edited:

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Player development falls on the shoulders of the coaches and on the shoulders of the individual player himself. So each player bears much of the culpability for not improving, but lets not pretend that Garrett and Co. dont share in it. Garrett has no track record of any significant player development so anybody on our squad is at a serious disadvantage when it comes to getting anything extra from the coaching staff.

I dont blame Garrett for Marty B's undevelopment as player so much (even tho MB says F U Jason Garrett) as I do for lack of scheme to utilize him along with Witten. MB is a head case and has the track record to prove it. But Garrett also has his own track record of ineptitude.

So the organization shouldnt take near as many gambles on lottery ticket players since the coaching staff is inept at developing players by "coaching them up."

Last edited:

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Where do you think David Irving, and all the other DT the cowboys did not draft came from? It was not the Cowboys practice squad. The only reason the Cowboys are good at raiding other teams practice squads is the foundation established by Will McClay when he was head of pro personnel (now over the whole department under Stephen).

However, the Cowboys have not managed their own practice squad to develop players are keep the right ones. Which is why you rarely see a Cowboys practice squad player move up to the cowboys starting roster unless a waive of injuries at the position.

But there are 31 other practice squads. That's 248 players. Odds are you will almost always be able to find a player on another team's practice squad who is better than the 8 players you have on your own practice squad.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Every team raids other teams practice squads. You suggested it was common practice for teams to develop starters out of their practice squads, which isn't true. Many players on practice squads for all teams never make it to be regular contributors.

Just last year Philly tried to raid our PS for TE Blake Jarwin.

Reaction score
Most good coachers don't want dumbass players. True story.

And they certainly don't want dumbass players not 100% committed to the game.

There's reasons for this.

Wonderlic scores are very important. I think the league, minus the Cowboys brain trust, is beginning to figure that out. A team of less athletically talented, but smart players will beat the crap out of highly athletic morons. See Greece beating the NBA "All-Star" Olympic team. That's a side note, but it's my belief that the most over rated athletes on the planet are NBA players.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Most good coachers don't want dumbass players. True story.

And they certainly don't want dumbass players not 100% committed to the game.

There's reasons for this.

No coach actually wants a dumb player

But most coaches can take a dumb player that they get saddled with and at least teach him the fundamentals of the position

Garrett has proven he can’t even do that

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No coach actually wants a dumb player

But most coaches can take a dumb player that they get saddled with and at least teach him the fundamentals of the position

Garrett has proven he can’t even do that

Yeah sorry but disagree. If somebody is dumb as a fucking rock, it doesn't really matter what kind of coach they have.

It's why great (smart) coaches don't want fucking stupid players.

Reaction score
I hope it is all a smoke screen to not have teams prepare for what Rico could do at TE for a QB. If your opponent does not respect a position on the field they usually put emphasis somewhere else. Defenses will naturally put a man in the box to stop Zeke. Then lean coverage to T Will or Beasley. So play action with a talent like Rico would be big play after big play and open up so much of the passing game. That is what Witten gave the Cowboys all of his HOF career. People forget that Witten came out of college running 4.6 40yd times at 6-5-250. Rico is 45 pounds heavier and ran a 4.66 and a 35 inch vertical jump at the Baylor pro day. If the Cowboys coaching staff can not make a former Mr. Louisiana Basketball player a TE it is their shame. However we all know how they were dead wrong at developing Martellus Bennett.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Enough of the Rico Gathers nonsense.

He's a dumbshit that cant even learn this ultra simple playbook. He makes no effort to block (and most times apparently has no idea who to block anyway). He runs the wrong routes and lines up in the wrong places.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
. If the Cowboys coaching staff can not make a former Mr. Louisiana Basketball player a TE it is their shame.

Yes, because history is littered with 100's and 100's of former basketball players that turned into bigtime NFL TE's, right?

However we all know how they were dead wrong at developing Martellus Bennett.

You post a lot of ignorant shit, so this kind of babble is expected. But I thought even you would know Bennett's problem wasn't talent or being "developed" here, his issue in Dallas is he was the #2 TE behind a half of famer in his prime. They also had several other options in the passing game that were priorities over Bennett.

That said, he's "developed" so much that he played on 6 teams in 9 years.

Dustdevil

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Enough of the Rico Gathers nonsense.

He's a dumbshit that cant even learn this ultra simple playbook. He makes no effort to block (and most times apparently has no idea who to block anyway). He runs the wrong routes and lines up in the wrong places.
What I don't understand is how given that you've been sitting around for 2 years, you don't know the playbook. I can see being out of shape, timing off, not knowing the finer points of playing the position, etc. but don't you think after sitting around with nothing to do, you might pick it up every once in a while and flip through it to find something that looks interesting?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What I don't understand is how given that you've been sitting around for 2 years, you don't know the playbook. I can see being out of shape, timing off, not knowing the finer points of playing the position, etc. but don't you think after sitting around with nothing to do, you might pick it up every once in a while and flip through it to find something that looks interesting?

Too many people in and around the organization telling people their shit dont stink.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score

Maybe it didnt look interesting to him

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I look at it this way. Regardless of how good Rico is now, dumping one of the other 3 clones isn't harming the Cowboys. I see more potential in Rico. If he doesn't pan out we've lost nothing in the process.

Blueoxen22

Spectator
Reaction score
He runs into other receivers running their routes after three years of training camps and preseasons. Need his spot at safety and offensive line due to injuries. They also have 4 good RB's, but can't keep 4 for the same reasons. the 53rd an on this team means nothing. They don't even have a capable 2nd string team.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

hence why almost everyone regards him as a dumbass

Top Bottom