Reaction score
Watching Rico Gathers and seeing the Cowboys coaches and commentators mention other Tight Ends ahead of him has me gravely concerned with our talent evaluation process.

You can not coach or duplicate what Rico Gathers has in talent on the football field. He is big tall rangy has hands and is learning the game. There is no TE on the Cowboys roster that has the upside potential of Rico Gathers.

Gil Brandt, Bob Ackles, and John Wooten knew how to evaluate this and put in on the football field. They also knew how to get coaches to buy in. You have to have fore vision. Case for my point regarding Gathers are Pat Donovan and Jay Novacek. Donovan was a rangy DT that was athletic, strong, and fast but was not going to get on the field ahead of Randy White, Larry Cole, Bruce Thornton, Jethro Pugh, and John Dutton. The Cowboys had the fore vision to move Donovan from DT to OT. The rest is Cowboys OL pro bowl and Super Bowl history. The same was for a pass catching one dimensional TE from Wyoming drafted and played for the AZ Cardinals. Novacek was so one dimensional as a pass catching TE he was given up on by the Cardinals instead of allowing him to develop. All Novacek could do for the Cardinals is run great routes with speed and could catch. Because he had not developed as a blocker (overrated for today's TE position). The Cowboys had to fore vision to sign him as a free agent pass catcher for Troy Aikman. The Cowboys then allowed Novacek to develop into a get in the way block and ran I formation FB isolation and lead draws with Emmitt Smith that a power blocking TE was not need as much in the offense.

So why in the name of Gil Brandt, Bob Ackles and John Wooten are the Cowboys not letting a physical beast like Gathers lose and giving him 1st and 2nd team rep opportunities (which is the only way he will get better)? The same reason why the Cowboys since 1995 been one injury for a sub 500 record every year. The Cowboys are always one injury away from disaster. Because they do not draft starters to provide depth and they have no fore vision for talent with there roster.

They are one injury from disaster on the OL. Because the have no fore vision to convert that 6-5-285-300 DL to the OL, Chaz Green and Fleming are the gateway to a top 10 draft pick in 2019. They are playing Gathers, who looks like a man among children when he is on the field, as a player they are going to cut on the first cut down. Gathers was open on every pass play he played this preseason. When he was not open he showed he was open by just childishly snatching the ball from a DB over the top.

Before you say well who is the DL you are going to convert to OL, remember this was the norm and not the exception as it was done for Rayfield Wright, Pat Donovan, Mark Tuieni, and John Fitzgerald (to name a few pro bowlers and hall of famer). In regards to Rico Gathers, please see Tony Gonzales Julius Thomas, Jimmy Graham, and Antonio Gates. But for Cowboys it was not only defense to offense, it was one sport athlete to another sport athlete. Please remember the great Cornell Green who was that man among boys on the football field as a DB who never played a down of football at Utah st (basketball player).

I hope the Cowboys are not making a big mistake with Gathers and those convertible 6-5-300 pound DL that they are not converting to OL anymore. The current Cowboys brass does not have the fore vision on talent to create talented depth on their roster.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
BTW Jerry even said the other night he is worried if they keep Rico, that somebody who can actually help this season will not be on the roster. Swinging for the fences is fine after the 4th round, problem is this team isnt particularly proficient at turning coal into diamonds.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
BTW Jerry even said the other night he is worried if they keep Rico, that somebody who can actually help this season will not be on the roster. Swinging for the fences is fine after the 4th round, problem is this team isnt particularly proficient at turning coal into diamonds.

Better at turning diamonds into coal.

Rico on this team wont make any difference one way or another. With him or without him the team will have the same record.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Gee I don't know, maybe the fact that he has been here 3 yrs and still doesn't know the routes he's supposed to run on certain playcalls?

Doesn't know his blocking assignments and most of the time doesn't even give the effort?

I mean most coaches wont usually play guys that don't know what the hell they are supposed to do on a down to down basis.

That's why you hear guys like Parcells and Jimmy say they don't want dumbass players. Gathers appears to be the epitome of a dumbass player.

Reaction score

Emmitt Smith diamond quote is more applicable for what the Cowboys have done for the last +20 years.

Reaction score
Eh, Jimmy Johnson got shoved out the door by a massive ego trip?

I guess taking a team from 1-15 to 13-3 winning a Super Bowl in 4 years then going back to back with NFL Super Bowl Championships will give you a massive ego trip. Cowboys just had a Dumbo GM owner with a bigger ego that fired a back to back winning Super Bowl Head Coach and talent guru along with Gil Brandt, Bob Ackles and John Wooten.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And to the OP- we took a flier on the guy. We were obviously intrigued by his athletic ability and upside.

And we all know Garrett cant motivate a flea to bite a dogs ass, but at some point a player DOES have to have some personal commitment to working hard and learning his trade. he's had pretty good TE coaches since he has been here and apparently hasn't learned anything.

On the other hand, he does seem to spend plenty of time on his rap career.

You just cant fix stupid, and from what we have heard so far that would seem to be Gathers issue.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
And to the OP- we took a flier on the guy. We were obviously intrigued by his athletic ability and upside.

And we all know Garrett cant motivate a flea to bite a dogs ass, but at some point a player DOES have to have some personal commitment to working hard and learning his trade. he's had pretty good TE coaches since he has been here and apparently hasn't learned anything.

On the other hand, he does seem to spend plenty of time on his rap career.

You just cant fix stupid, and from what we have heard so far that would seem to be Gathers issue.

Another RKG

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Gee I don't know, maybe the fact that he has been here 3 yrs and still doesn't know the routes he's supposed to run on certain playcalls?

Doesn't know his blocking assignments and most of the time doesn't even give the effort?

I mean most coaches wont usually play guys that don't know what the hell they are supposed to do on a down to down basis.

That's why you hear guys like Parcells and Jimmy say they don't want dumbass players. Gathers appears to be the epitome of a dumbass player.

Now is all of this Rico’s fault? Or is it the coaches fault at this point?

This coaching staff have had three years to “coach him up” yet he still can’t block and doesn’t know his assignments?

Any coach worth a shit can take a dumbass player and teach him the fundamentals of the position.

This coaching staff have failed Rico. No matter how dumb he may be, the coaches should have got him to an acceptable level after three years. Especially with his physical talents.

I don’t blame Rico. He got paid, that was his motivation. If the coaches aren’t going to push him and hold him accountable then why should Rico care, just sit back and collect the paycheck and go home at the end of the day.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score

This coaching staff have had three years to “coach him up” yet he still can’t block and doesn’t know his assignments?

Any coach worth a shit can take a dumbass player and teach him the fundamentals of the position.

This coaching staff have failed Rico. No matter how dumb he may be, the coaches should have got him to an acceptable level after three years. Especially with his physical talents.

I don’t blame Rico. He got paid, that was his motivation. If the coaches aren’t going to push him and hold him accountable then why should Rico care, just sit back and collect the paycheck and go home at the end of the day.

Players getting "coached up" under Garrett:

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score

I've got to disagree with you on that. You get to a certain point where some people just can't be taught, no matter how good or tough the person(s) working with them are. Stupid, entitled and lazy are all bad enough on their own, but if you're dealing with any combination of the three even the best often can't get results. Applies to any job anywhere.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I've got to disagree with you on that. You get to a certain point where some people just can't be taught, no matter how good or tough the person(s) working with them are. Stupid, entitled and lazy are all bad enough on their own, but if you're dealing with any combination of the three even the best often can't get results. Applies to any job anywhere.

True

But we are taking Garrett and his coaching staff who have continuously proven that they do not have the ability/now how to be able to actually “coach em up”

Reaction score

I'm going to let Emmitt Smith handle this one.

"We had some diamonds, and we had some poo poo. The diamonds got mixed in with the poo poo, and it was all poo poo."

Not sure I got that quote exactly right, but it's close enough to illustrate the point.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score

Jimmy said if I ever draft another dumb player hit me in the head with a hammer. Or something like that. Obviously he said it for a reason.

Reaction score

I agree. See Martellus Bennett and his pro bowls and Super Bowl Ring. Garrett staff has not developed a player drafted that was a developmental pick. You have to have that system in your coaching staff and player personnel development.

Reaction score
Thanks that was my point. You can't see a diamond when it is mixed up with the poo poo. Garrett's staff and player personnel development is all poo poo.

Why in the heck do you have a practice squad if you are not going to take coal and turn it to diamonds? But, if the coaching staff headed by Jerry Jones (he seems to be the Head Coach talking about a player) is poo poo and the team depth is poo poo. It is all poo poo.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Most good coachers don't want dumbass players. True story.

And they certainly don't want dumbass players not 100% committed to the game.

There's reasons for this.

Top Bottom