theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
"Woo pig sooie!!!"

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Arkansas and Dallas Cowboys.

Mirror images of each other right now it seems.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
By the way, I really do believe Alabama or Georgia could line up today and beat the Cowboys.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This was one hell of a game.

No. 19 Texas beats No. 7 Oklahoma on last-minute field goal

ESPN News Services

DALLAS -- Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger flashed the "Hook 'Em Horns" sign to the ecstatic burnt orange end of the stadium after his third rushing touchdown and soon after that threw his second scoring pass.

Texas held off a furious Oklahoma rally with a late field goal. Florida used a late pick-six to knock off previously unbeaten LSU. Here's what else we've learned today.

A year after briefly putting the Longhorns ahead late in their Red River Showdown game against Oklahoma when he started as a freshman, Ehlinger had Texas ahead by three touchdowns going into the fourth quarter Saturday.

But Ehlinger still needed one more drive to win the game and delivered, setting up freshman Cameron Dicker's 40-yard field goal with nine seconds left to give 19th-ranked Texas a 48-45 victory over the No. 7 Sooners after Kyler Murray had rallied them with three touchdowns in a six-minute span.

"The first three quarters were very impressive. But maybe that last drive was the most impressive to me because when we had really given up a lot of the energy and certainly in a tie ballgame, to let them back in," Texas coach Tom Herman said of Ehlinger. "For him to go shut the door, with his teammates, that says a lot about his grit."

Ehlinger was 24-of-35 passing for 314 yards and ran 19 times for 72 yards. He converted third-and-3 on Texas' final drive with a 4-yard keeper, and his 8-yard draw to the middle of the field set up the winning kick in the highest-scoring game in the 113-game series.

"I still can't put to words how incredible this rivalry and to be able to be a part of it, I honestly can't," Ehlinger said.

Especially after a big victory for the Longhorns (5-1, 3-0 Big 12), who have their first five-game winning streak since 2013 after winning the annual meeting at the State Fair of Texas, where the crowd of 92,300 at the Cotton Bowl Stadium was split 50-50, burnt orange and crimson, as always.

"It is a Red River game that will be in the history books forever," Longhorns defensive lineman Breckyn Hager said. "Not only the momentum swings, but if you ever want to watch a Red River game and understand what this game is all about and how it is won or lost, this is the one to watch. To experience the other side of it -- the winning side of it -- there are no words for it.

Oklahoma (5-1, 2-1), the three-time defending Big 12 champion, lost to the Longhorns for the third time in six seasons; this was the first time in that span Texas was ranked.

"Obviously, it's not a good feeling. I feel like if I didn't turn the ball over, we'd have a better shot at winning the game," Murray said quietly. "We knew coming into this game it would be a four-quarter game. It's just tough."

The Longhorns led 45-24 in the fourth quarter before Murray threw a 19-yard touchdown pass to Lee Morris and ran 67 yards for a score on a one-play drive. Trey Sermon ran 7 yards for the tying touchdown with 2:38 left.

Murray completed 19 of 26 passes for 304 yards and four touchdowns and ran for 92 yards. But he also had two turnovers, only his third interception of the season and a big fumble in the third quarter when he lost control of the ball while scrambling.

"To get it back there in a tight game and have a great chance to win a football game says a lot about what we have in the locker room and says a lot about the culture that we have here at Oklahoma," coach Lincoln Riley said, before adding, "It wasn't our best performance."

Five plays after Murray's fumble, and not long after his 77-yard touchdown pass to Marquise Brown to get Oklahoma within a touchdown, the Longhorns led 38-24 when Ehlinger burst into the end zone on a 2-yard run. He then threw a 15-yard touchdown to Lil'Jordan Humphrey in the final minute of the third quarter.

THE TAKEAWAY

Texas: With the most impressive of their three victories this season over Top 25 teams, even with the late comeback by OU, the Longhorns are suddenly a front-runner for the Big 12 title. They haven't won the Big 12 since 2009, the last time they played in a national championship game. Only Texas and No. 9 West Virginia, which visits Austin on Nov. 3, made it through the first three conference games without a league loss.

Oklahoma: The Sooners have plenty of time to recover and make it into the Big 12 championship game, and even the College Football Playoff. In 2015, Oklahoma lost to Texas and went on to the reach the playoff.

BIG PLAY RECEIVERS

Humphrey had nine catches for 133 yards and also had a 2-yard touchdown pass to Collin Johnson for Texas. ... Brown had nine catches for 131 yards and two touchdowns for the Sooners. His long touchdown was his national-best seventh catch of at least 40 yards this season. He has five touchdowns of at least 50 yards.

SERIES SQUEAKERS

The past five games between Texas and Oklahoma have been decided by a combined 25 points. The Sooners came back to win 29-24 last year.

POLL IMPLICATIONS

The Longhorns should move up a few spots, but both Texas and Oklahoma could be behind West Virginia, the only undefeated Big 12 team.

UP NEXT

Texas is home next Saturday against Baylor.

Oklahoma has its bye week before returning to Dallas-Fort Worth to play at TCU on Oct. 20.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's a "hell of a game" if you think good football is Madden video game stuff.

Real football is gone. What we have today might as well be the WWE.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Between the new roughing the passer rules, defenses being devalued to the degree they are and Jerrah ball stumbling wildly, "real football" seems to be a subjective term these days. When it comes to the college game, I just look to be entertained and remain interested throughout, (and to have the team I want to win). And though this one was far from pure, it succeeded in those three things at least.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Between the new roughing the passer rules, defenses being devalued to the degree they are and Jerrah ball stumbling wildly, "real football" seems to be a subjective term these days. When it comes to the college game, I just look to be entertained and remain interested throughout, (and to have the team I want to win). And though this one was far from pure, it succeeded in those three things at least.

In the college game it's all relative right? Give me the Army-Navy game where both teams run the wing-T and seldom ever pass. Football. If you're not entertained and your interest retained by that, Madden is for you. You're a pinball fan not a football fan. Lotsa points. Points points points. Oh and lotsa passing. Pass pass pass.

Call it fun, call it entertaining and engaging, but don't call it great.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
In the college game it's all relative right? Give me the Army-Navy game where both teams run the wing-T and seldom ever pass. Football. If you're not entertained and your interest retained by that, Madden is for you. You're a pinball fan not a football fan. Lotsa points. Points points points. Oh and lotsa passing. Pass pass pass.

Call it fun, call it entertaining and engaging, but don't call it great.

Games like that interest me as well. Hell, I just kept the Browns/Ravens game on to the end because I was engaged and wanted to see how it turned out. Alabama winning 65-31 and Clemson winning 63-3; those bore me because they're not compelling and there's not doubt. It's not passing or scoring that I'm looking for, it's interest and competition, regardless of whether it's an offensive or defensive game. If Texas had won 9-6 and each team had 100 yards passing or less I'd have been just as pleased.

And for the record when I play Madden I run on at least 60% of my plays...

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Games like that interest me as well. Hell, I just kept the Browns/Ravens game on to the end because I was engaged and wanted to see how it turned out. Alabama winning 65-31 and Clemson winning 63-3; those bore me because they're not compelling and there's not doubt. It's not passing or scoring that I'm looking for, it's interest and competition, regardless of whether it's an offensive or defensive game. If Texas had won 9-6 and each team had 100 yards passing or less I'd have been just as pleased.

And for the record when I play Madden I run on at least 60% of my plays...

RUUN THE BAAALLL!

LOL

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Yep, I think that was absolutely awful football.

The Big 12 plays absolutely no defense whatsoever. It isn't even "good" offense, its just really BAD defense.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
NCAA making a joke of itself again, picking one of the worst defensive teams in history of football as "one of the best 4 teams"

I would have pulled for Alabama anyway, but I really hope they beat OU by 30 or so.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Other than the two playoff games, how many of these lousy bowl games does anyone REALLY care about? Or want to watch?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Its such a JOKE the Sooners are in the national championship, college football playoff system is a rigged fucking joke

Even tho Ohio St had a bad regular season loss, I believe they would be FAR more competitive

I guess all the best players chose Bama or Clemson now, what's this 4 years in a row they'll be playing for the NC?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Vegas has Bama -9 over Clemson, and to have this playoff where teams 3 and 4 are about 6 rungs down the ladder from 1 and 2 make it completely unwatchable.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Clemson can definitely beat Alabama, it should be a good game. That kid they have at QB has probably already locked up the #1 overall pick in the April 2021 draft.

But the NCAA made a total joke of themselves again by putting Notre Dame and Oklahoma in this playoff. It was 100% rigged for both of them and left a much more deserving Georgia team out. Alabama could have hung 65-70 on OU last night had they really wanted and ND looked like a JV team compared to Clemson.

Hell Central Florida was more deserving than either OU or ND was.

And for those that were foaming at the mouth over Lincoln Riley as HC for the Cowboys, last night was another example of why I don't want him. He's probably a really good offensive coach, but he's a really good offensive coach in a conference that doesn't play defense at all.

Top Bottom