dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Watched the game, for a week 1 preseason game there was some things I saw that would good, but there was also plenty of mediocre or bad that coaches seriously need to deal with IMO.

1) After all the criticism of the 1st team offense (and specifically Prescott) it was nice to see the starters (minus Zeke and Beasley) come out and go right down the field for a TD. Prescott had a couple of short completions but not without looking downfield first, and he threw a really nice TD to rookie Gallup. Dak also had a really nice run for a first down to extend the drive, an attribute that is definitely going to drive defenses crazy some this year again. He looks much leaner and quicker to me.

2) We are absolutely loaded at RB. Rod Smith picked up where he left off from the end of last yr. Rookie Bo Scarbrough was impressive both running and receiving, and former Cowboy Darius Jackson also looked good (just like he did as a rookie, before this idiot franchise cut him loose so they could activate washed up veteran Darren McFadden for a few games)

3) Liked what I saw from rookie WR Michael Gallup, had the TD and would have had another (or at least a really big play) had Cooper Rush not so grossly underthrew him. Gallup had the guy beaten by a good 3 or 4 yards at one point). Good night for Lance Lenoir and Tavon Austin as well.

4) Starting OL looked pretty dominant save the one sack Connor Williams gave up. Clearly has talent but he does need work, I thought it was good that they left him out there for another few series after the other starting OL came out.

5) Starting front 7 on defense looked good. Niners only had one good running play for what seemed like the entire 1st half. Demarcus Lawrence looks like he is set up for a repeat of last yr and Taco Charlton was impressive when he came in. Jaylon Smith did look pretty explosive. Liked Byron Jones/Awuzie at CB. Backup LB Joe Thomas had a nice night and showed he might be a really good depth/special teamer piece here.

On the not so good side, the backups struggled a lot, especially in the 4th quarter. Cooper Rush didn't show much arm strength at all and the backup OL didn't do him or Scarbrough any favors.

6) Chaz Green looked just as bad last night vs SF as he did vs Atlanta last yr. Had he played more, he could have easily yielded several sacks and accumulated more penalties. He has to be one of the 5 or 10 worst players in franchise history, and why he still has a spot on the roster has to be one of the more amazing acts of absolute stupidity that we have ever witnessed. It's embarrassing that these coaches and front office wont cut this guy. DUDE CANT PLAY, PERIOD. The backup OL in general did not perform well (save Cameron Fleming at LT, who did look pretty decent IMO) but it should be noted that once Chaz Green finally came out of the game, even the backup OL as a unit looked better.

7) For all the good talk about how solid Anthony Brown and Jourdan Lewis were so far in camp, both of them stunk up the joint last night. Brown had a couple of bad penalties (one really awful one) and Lewis was absolutely roasted on a deep ball, along with another easy completion he gave up. The undrafted rookie CB's that were generating all this "buzz" were also terrible.

8) Leighton Vander Esch needs work. He is big and moves around well and had a nice int downfield (albeit out of bounds) but he also got burned on an intermediate pass to a TE and wasn't overly physical vs the run IMO.

9) They cant be happy with what they saw from the TE's blocking last night. They looked like they were on skates. Scarbrough scored his TD in spite of the TE's on that GL play.

10) I know it will help when Maliek Collins returns and while Datone Jones was decent vs the run, he offered no pass rush that I saw. Antwan Woods had some flashes, but Jihad Ward didn't look good IMO, nor did any of the other backup DT's. I think TE and DT have to be the two biggest concerns the team has moving forward before the real games get here.

11) Easy to see why they are holding onto Randy Gregory now IMO. Outside of Lawrence on his one series and Taco while he was in, there was really no pass rush to speak of most of the game. They don't know what Gregory will do when he finally gets out there, but they know he did have explosive traits at one point. So they are clinging to hope. Has to be a concern, especially the lack of interior rush. David Irving being a fucktard may really be damaging to the season if they don't find a suitable replacement.

11) Jeff Heath and Xavier Woods started at S, and neither did anything good or bad that I saw.

12) I really don't care that they lost the game, but the fact that they blew it despite a +3 turnover ratio and pissed it away in the 4th qtr after pretty much dominating for 3 is kinda of the story of Jason Garrett as a HC. Bad tackling and coverage in the 4th qtr did them in, along with 13 damn penalties. This is all stuff that is trademark of Red Idiot here. At the end of the day, he is still the biggest handicap this franchise has since Jerry has been neutered in the personnel department.

Mixed bag for game one but honestly it was better than I expected going in based on the reports I had been reading.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
5) Starting front 7 on defense looked good. Niners only had one good running play for what seemed like the entire 1st half. Demarcus Lawrence looks like he is set up for a repeat of last yr and Taco Charlton was impressive when he came in. Jaylon Smith did look pretty explosive. Liked Byron Jones/Awuzie at CB. Backup LB Joe Thomas had a nice night and showed he might be a really good depth/special teamer piece here.
im not as worried at the dline depth since it looks like they are willing to blitz a lot more

On the not so good side, the backups struggled a lot, especially in the 4th quarter. Cooper Rush didn't show much arm strength at all and the backup OL didn't do him or Scarbrough any favors.
sadly my boy cooper rush didnt look so hot. i only watched the 1st half

6) Chaz Green looked just as bad last night vs SF as he did vs Atlanta last yr. Had he played more, he could have easily yielded several sacks and accumulated more penalties. He has to be one of the 5 or 10 worst players in franchise history, and why he still has a spot on the roster has to be one of the more amazing acts of absolute stupidity that we have ever witnessed. It's embarrassing that these coaches and front office wont cut this guy. DUDE CANT PLAY, PERIOD. The backup OL in general did not perform well (save Cameron Fleming at LT, who did look pretty decent IMO) but it should be noted that once Chaz Green finally came out of the game, even the backup OL as a unit looked better.
yup he fucking sucks. get his ass off the team

7) For all the good talk about how solid Anthony Brown and Jourdan Lewis were so far in camp, both of them stunk up the joint last night. Brown had a couple of bad penalties (one really awful one) and Lewis was absolutely roasted on a deep ball, along with another easy completion he gave up. The undrafted rookie CB's that were generating all this "buzz" were also terrible.
ya when they actually call penalties brown doesnt look so good like in camp

9) They cant be happy with what they saw from the TE's blocking last night. They looked like they were on skates. Scarbrough scored his TD in spite of the TE's on that GL play.
all dominated by undrafted rookie free agent or 7th rounder .. that guy taylor for the 49erse they kept talking about. he got push against anybody he went up against

11) Jeff Heath and Xavier Woods started at S, and neither did anything good or bad that I saw.
i hope the blitzing trend continues because frazier is better than both of them at it and hes prob the best special teamer on the team now.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1) After all the criticism of the 1st team offense (and specifically Prescott) it was nice to see the starters (minus Zeke and Beasley) come out and go right down the field for a TD. Prescott had a couple of short completions but not without looking downfield first, and he threw a really nice TD to rookie Gallup. Dak also had a really nice run for a first down to extend the drive, an attribute that is definitely going to drive defenses crazy some this year again. He looks much leaner and quicker to me.

Really good post dbair. The best part of Dak's throw last night wasn't the throw but it's that Dak looked to his left first and then went back to Gallup who wasn't open but got himself open....if that makes any sense. I'd like to see more before I'm back on the Dak band wagon.

3) Liked what I saw from rookie WR Michael Gallup, had the TD and would have had another (or at least a really big play) had Cooper Rush not so grossly underthrew him. Gallup had the guy beaten by a good 3 or 4 yards at one point).

I was surprised at Cooper Rush's arm. I always think guys could get a little stronger after an off- season or two in the NFL but he's got a noodle arm. No way he takes Dak's job and he's a back up, at best. I'd like to see more of Mike White though but he doesn't have a grasp of the offense. He's lucky on of his his first passes wasn't picked. The guy threw into double coverage and the receiver was pretty well covered.

I'm more confident that Kris Richard can get these guys back on track then I am the Red Dolt will coach up the offensive players.

Blake Jarwin looked good although I didn't pay attention to his blocking. He looked pretty smooth and you'd have to think he can earn a job here if he can block.

12) I really don't care that they lost the game, but the fact that they blew it despite a +3 turnover ratio and pissed it away in the 4th qtr after pretty much dominating for 3 is kinda of the story of Jason Garrett as a HC. Bad tackling and coverage in the 4th qtr did them in, along with 13 damn penalties. This is all stuff that is trademark of Red Idiot here. At the end of the day, he is still the biggest handicap this franchise has since Jerry has been neutered in the personnel department.

Spot on. Our guys seem to get by on skills alone which is why we see the 1st rounders do well, for the most part. But the players that need more coaching don't stand a chance. Garrett is good at making signs and saying something motivational (although I wouldn't buy it for a second from that pussy) but as a teacher, he sucks and I'm sure he lacks the street cred to coach up talent.

Last edited:

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Good stuff Db.
I particularly liked you and Dodger's comments on Ginger Jesus.
Our guys down the roster are poorly coached, period.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Strong effort dbair, particularly this part.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

Read #7, bitch.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...earned-from-the-cowboys-first-pre-season-game

Reaction score
Point 12 is the key. It shows us nothing has changed at all in regards to coaching philosophy and team identity. This team will shit the bed if the clock says 2 minutes or less in the first half or second half. Just once I would like to see the team stick with its base defense during crunch time rather than the prevent that only prevents the Cowboys from actually winning games. But then again, this team expects to fail deep down when it really counts, and has had this bad mental pattern for a long time.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Chaz Green makes Corey Proctor look like he was an all-pro instead of the turn style he was.

Top Bottom