Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I should have figured. When folks have nothing to back up their stupid claims they eventually revert to the dig route. No sweat.
You refuse to acknowledge the damage Romo consistently did in putting our defense at a disadvantage. 2-11 or 3-13 in 3rd down conversions, the picks, the fumbles. C'mon now. So I give you a little sarcasm to illustrate the valid point, and you brush it off as a 'dig.' Facts aren't digs.
We were 3 and 1 in the games Romo started in 2015 and his loss came against the Panthers when he came back too soon and got injured again. If anything, that season should proven to anyone with half a brain what Romo meant to that offense.
That offense was stupidly tailored to one guy. Something one should never ever do at the pro level.
The guy owns every passing record in team history.
Pretty irrelevant since the records he broke weren't even impressive in themselves. Dallas has never been a 'air it out' team. Low hanging fruit especially in this era.
So your argument is running the ball effectively helps the QB, the D and the team in general?
No, although that does happen. The point was that once we figured out that keeping the ball away from the opposition and limiting our own risk by having far fewer dropbacks and pass attempts, we took away many of the opportunities for bed shitting by the specific bed shitter. In that season Romo was doing a lot less checking out of running plays and a lot less audiblizing overall. Almost like it was a directive or something.

Hey, for the first 4-5 years I loved Romo, was a "Romosapien." I thought Romo was going to take us to super bowls and could do no wrong. Hey, yeah he fumbled that FG snap in Seattle but they fed him a rouge slick ball too. The NFL changed the rules over that. Then I found myself for a few years just rationalizing his gaffes, being a blame shifter and apologist. Never acknowledging his foibles.

Then one day, I woke up. My moment when I finally realized this dude was always, ever gonna choke. (No, the 2008 choke pick against Pittsburgh didn't wake me up, I was still a Romosapien apologist back then) 9/11/2011 vs. the Jets. First game of the season and Dallas had a 14 point lead at one point, but a Romo fumble and a blocked punt had put the game in Romo's hands in the last minute of the contest. Dallas had the ball at its own 40-yard line with 59 seconds to go, when Romo throws a terrible pass intended for Dez Bryant, right into the hands of Darrelle Revis and the Jets go on to kick the field goal to win the game, 27-24.

[video=youtube_share;IU8KC3oDv3s]http://youtu.be/IU8KC3oDv3s[/video]

I was very nearly physically ill after seeing this live, as the realization hit me that this.... This IS Romo.

Then just a couple of weeks later Dallas had complete command of the game vs Detroit on October 2 2011. The score mid-way through the third quarter was 27-3 as Romo had pretty much had his way with the (at that time) porous Detroit secondary.

Then in just six minutes of game clock time, Romo offers up TWO pick sixes - one to former Cowboy Bobby Carpenter, and another to Chris Houston. Both were just dunderhead throws, no excuse for them at all, and Detroit caught fire as the commanding 24 point Dallas lead was now only ten.

Highlight reel of infamous late game Romo picks.

Tony Romo Top 5 Costly Interceptions - YouTube

Romo was what he was. Entertaining you bet. Fun to watch hell yeah. But always and forever, it was all just a tease. Because without fail, he's gonna shit the bed.

AND he never seemed to mind losing all that much.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don't think he (Romo) would have stood a chance in the era Troy played in when defenses could slaughter QBs without penalties, fines, etc...not to mention the rule changes that favor the offense so much today.

I'm not sure Romo would have been able to play another game had he been under center in the game Troy got sacked something like 9 times vs the eagles.

Troy was tough as shit and built to withstand a beating that Romo could never endure
Truth.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Romo was what he was. Entertaining you bet. Fun to watch hell yeah. But always and forever, it was all just a tease. Because without fail, he's gonna shit the bed.
You forgot selling merchandise and luxury seating.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I like Romo and agree with Dodger
Me too and dealt with some shitty O Lines but to get a team over the hump he needed everything to go right, and with the FO and coaching he had, that was never in the cards. Same with Dak.

Reaction score
Whenever people downplay Aikman they always look at only regular season totals where Emmitt Smith was the main focus of the offense. They never, ever want to discuss the things Aikman did when it counted most in playoffs such as throwing zero picks the entire 1992 playoffs with a QB rating of 126.4, and was also MVP of that Super Bowl with a rating of 140.7. Or how about completing 74.4% of his passes in the 1993 playoffs? Then there's that 9 yards per attempt while for the third time completing a 3-0 playoff Super Bowl run with an over 100 QB rating in 1995.

Show me Romo's playoff accomplishments that even remotely come close to this. Aikman was 10 times the QB than Romo was. Seriously, it isn't even close. Romo's comparison is with Danny White in which he still comes up short.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You refuse to acknowledge the damage Romo consistently did in putting our defense at a disadvantage. 2-11 or 3-13 in 3rd down conversions, the picks, the fumbles. C'mon now. So I give you a little sarcasm to illustrate the valid point, and you brush it off as a 'dig.' Facts aren't digs.

I don't refuse to acknowledge your point anymore than you refuse to acknowledge the state of the defense during the Romo years. When you refuse to acknowledge that we fielded some of the worst defenses in not only team history, but NFL history, then your whole position is misguided by blaming the one guy who carried the team.

That offense was stupidly tailored to one guy. Something one should never ever do at the pro level.

How so? We've been criticizing Garrett for trying to fit the proverbial square peg in a round hole when it comes to the offense. I don't think a timing based offense was a good fit for Romo. He would have probably been a better WCO QB and it wasn't until Linehan came in that we tweaked the offense.

And how do you claim that a timing based offense was catered to Romo when you have WR's who run poor routes (ie: Dez)? You know, the guy you've been bagging on for some time now? You can't have it both ways by claiming that an offense dependent on WR's running proper routes was designed for a QB with receivers who run poor routes. It's the very reason Romo had to improvise so much. The offense and it's OC sucked.

Pretty irrelevant since the records he broke weren't even impressive in themselves. Dallas has never been a 'air it out' team. Low hanging fruit especially in this era.

This is just a silly statement and isn't even worth listing his team records. But I would mention that Romo held a higher passer rating in the fourth quarter than any other NFL quarterback from 2006 to 2013.and his 97.1 passer rating is the fourth highest of all time and the highest among quarterbacks not to reach the Super Bowl, as well as the highest among retired players.

It's amazing for all the times he "choked" that he was so prolific in the 4th quarter. Did he throw picks? Absolutely. Does every NFL QB? Yes again. I was as frustrated as anyone when that happened. But how many times did our D have a timely pick to save the day? Or a timely stop? I'm sure it may have happened on a very rare occassion but, for the most part, the team relied on Romo to bail them out.

Then one day, I woke up. My moment when I finally realized this dude was always, ever gonna choke. (No, the 2008 choke pick against Pittsburgh didn't wake me up, I was still a Romosapien apologist back then) 9/11/2011 vs. the Jets. First game of the season and Dallas had a 14 point lead at one point, but a Romo fumble and a blocked punt had put the game in Romo's hands in the last minute of the contest. Dallas had the ball at its own 40-yard line with 59 seconds to go, when Romo throws a terrible pass intended for Dez Bryant, right into the hands of Darrelle Revis and the Jets go on to kick the field goal to win the game, 27-24.

Then just a couple of weeks later Dallas had complete command of the game vs Detroit on October 2 2011. The score mid-way through the third quarter was 27-3 as Romo had pretty much had his way with the (at that time) porous Detroit secondary.

Then in just six minutes of game clock time, Romo offers up TWO pick sixes - one to former Cowboy Bobby Carpenter, and another to Chris Houston. Both were just dunderhead throws, no excuse for them at all, and Detroit caught fire as the commanding 24 point Dallas lead was now only ten.

With regards to Detroit (and later GB), those games convinced me that we needed a coaching change. Somehow they convinced you we needed a QB. No coach worth his salt is going to allow his QB to air the ball or abandon the run with those leads. Romo was a good QB but he needed to be coached. Great QB's had great coaches. Troy had Jimmy/Norv, Montana had Walsh, Brady had BB, etc. It's too bad we'll never know what Romo AND Dallas could have been with another 2 years of BP. I'm convinced those games aren't lost with a real HC who has a feel for the game.

In addition, I can find videos of every NFL QB, even the good/great ones, who pissed games away. So what?

Here, this is for you:

[video]https://youtu.be/BaVsRj5zro4[/video]

Last edited:

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Whenever people downplay Aikman they always look at only regular season totals where Emmitt Smith was the main focus of the offense. They never, ever want to discuss the things Aikman did when it counted most in playoffs such as throwing zero picks the entire 1992 playoffs with a QB rating of 126.4, and was also MVP of that Super Bowl with a rating of 140.7. Or how about completing 74.4% of his passes in the 1993 playoffs? Then there's that 9 yards per attempt while for the third time completing a 3-0 playoff Super Bowl run with an over 100 QB rating in 1995.

Show me Romo's playoff accomplishments that even remotely come close to this. Aikman was 10 times the QB than Romo was. Seriously, it isn't even close. Romo's comparison is with Danny White in which he still comes up short.

I'm convinced guys that are critical of Aikman never saw him play or were too young to remember him playing. He was an absolute QB specimen and probably one of the most complete QB's to be drafted in my lifetime next to Payton Manning. Troy had smarts, a rocket arm, pinpoint accuracy and was a tremendous leader. He was the ring leader of a great team who had no ego. Winning above all else.

Again, I'm a Romo fan but Romo isn't even on the same planet, talent wise, as Aikman.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I had to win a game I take Staubach but there was never a better pocket passer than Aikman.

I'd probably agree taking the era's into consideration. But it's not a slam dunk. Staubach played on some great teams as well. They were two completely different players in terms of style. I feel fortunate I got to see both QB's play.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
You could argue until your blue in the face about which QB would have done what, in whichever era, with whatever Defense/receivers/Head Coach. The bottom line is this - Aikman 3, Staubach 2, Romo 0. Nothing else can be proven.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You could argue until your blue in the face about which QB would have done what, in whichever era, with whatever Defense/receivers/Head Coach. The bottom line is this - Aikman 3, Staubach 2, Romo 0. Nothing else can be proven.

Exactly

And if I have a Super Bowl to win I’m choosing Aikman to start every time. Romo wouldn’t even enter in to consideration.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
"You are what your record is." -- The Tuna

~cough cough~

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I loved Roger and Tony was Tony, by which I mean he could make a mind boggling play or a head scratching fuck up, often within minutes of each other.
But Aikman may be the best passer I've ever seen.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
when i think back to tony romo, i will always fondly remember backbreaking turnovers

Reaction score
Romo > Aikman and not even close.

If Romo had Jimmy Johnson as coach rather than Howdy Doody, I cant even imagine how many Super Bowls this team would have won. Probably 10.

Aikman’s true career defining moment came when he threw 3 interceptions in that NFC title game vs SF. Emmitt was going nowhere and the team needed Aikman for once. Any Romo hater who complains about turnovers should look no farther than that Aikman performance. Coaching and the running game made Aikman. Facts.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Holy shit, a random Wahoo sighting.

Glad to hear from you bro and we all love your sig pic, but please refrain from gross stupidity like Romo being in the same league as Aikman.

Reaction score
Holy shit, a random Wahoo sighting.

Glad to hear from you bro and we all love your sig pic, but please refrain from gross stupidity like Romo being in the same league as Aikman.

Came back and this was my way of saying hi to you.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Romo > Aikman and not even close.

If Romo had Jimmy Johnson as coach rather than Howdy Doody, I cant even imagine how many Super Bowls this team would have won. Probably 10.

Aikman’s true career defining moment came when he threw 3 interceptions in that NFC title game vs SF. Emmitt was going nowhere and the team needed Aikman for once. Any Romo hater who complains about turnovers should look no farther than that Aikman performance. Coaching and the running game made Aikman. Facts.

I hope your doctors don't see this post. They re-admit you to the funny farm for another 8 months......

Top Bottom