allpurpose

Spectator
Reaction score
Now, I don't know how much is based on known facts and how much is just made up nonsense, but for your reading pleasure...
Cowboys OL coach Paul Alexander wrote in his book "Perform" about how he can rule out certain offensive lineman playing for him by the way they dispense ketchup from a bottle.
Hmmmmmm..

Some of the fun ketchup includes this saucy (pun intended) excerpt:

Quote:
Are you the type of person who knows why the number “57” is etched on the neck of a bottle of Heinz ketchup? I’ve asked this question at seminars for years and typically about five percent of the people in the audiences know the answer. Perhaps the “57” represents the number of ingredients in the recipe, but why the location? It’s placed at the precise spot where if one taps gently on the tipped bottle, the ketchup flows freely from the bottle. Even the new plastic squeeze bottles have a perfectly placed “57” at its optimal squeezing position. The person who figured that out was a genius.

As it turns out, Alexander is the type of person who knows why the number “57” is etched on the neck of a bottle of Heinz ketchup. Alexander doesn’t say how he figured it out, though, so we should hold onto his genius certificate until he can very this information.
He goes on to reveal that he has no tolerance for anyone ignorant enough to not know facts about ketchup:

Quote:
When I see a large football player turn a bottle of ketchup upside down and pound at its heel with tremendous force yet with limited success, I immediately make the mental note:
He must either play defensive line, or if he plays offensive line, he can’t play for me.
I’m an Offensive Line Coach. I coach the big, fat guys, and I love them. Offensive linemen need to be the smartest, most cohesive group on the football field because they are responsible for the combinations of problems that eleven coordinated defenders can cause. In football, there are eleven defenders and eight gaps that they can charge. Assuming each man can choose one gap, there are 437,514 possible defensive alignments that the offensive line must deal with. Football strategy can be complicated much like an advanced level math problem. Offensive linemen and their coaches seek to solve complex problems with simple solutions.

Alexander admits that only about five percent of the people he talks to know the Heinz bottle trick, so he just told us that his offensive linemen must be the cream of the crop. They are either the top minds in the country or they play for the defensive line. You don’t need brains to play defensive line.

Just so you know the Bengals offensive line last season kind of stank.. Was it a result of the lack of ketchup prowess or something else like 5 really poorly coached offensive linemen?

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Now, I don't know how much is based on known facts and how much is just made up nonsense, but for your reading pleasure...

Just so you know the Bengals offensive line last season kind of stank.. Was it a result of the lack of ketchup prowess or something else like 5 really poorly coached offensive linemen?

Oh no's!!!!!! They had a bad year!!!!!

I'm sure that means the guy cant coach a lick, no matter what happened the previous 15-20 yrs or so

allpurpose

Spectator
Reaction score
That's always the thing.. coaches usually take the heat when players under perform. But Alexander kept telling us how great one of the worst centers in the league was and what a great tackle Cedric Ogbuehi was gonna be.. At some point coaches have to take some responsibility for failure too.. Is Dallas unerperforming because of the players and Garrett is great or is Garrett an idiot and the players ok? Chicken and egg, eh?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That's always the thing.. coaches usually take the heat when players under perform. But Alexander kept telling us how great one of the worst centers in the league was and what a great tackle Cedric Ogbuehi was gonna be.. At some point coaches have to take some responsibility for failure too.. Is Dallas unerperforming because of the players and Garrett is great or is Garrett an idiot and the players ok? Chicken and egg, eh?

Try to follow along amigo.

Cinci has had a number of teams with really good OL play over the years, and this guy was the coach. He's had several guys he developed into top-end OL during his tenure there.

allpurpose

Spectator
Reaction score
I've always been a bit split on whether to blame (or give credit to) coaches vs the players.. I don't recall too many coaches strapping on a helmet to play when things go south, but like every plumber knows , the contents of the toilet flows down, not up..unless of course there's a clog in the works..
Hey, I was always willing to somewhat defend PA ,but the past few years it became increasingly difficult.
Perhaps he'll have great success in Dallas, but he's got a lot to work with starting out. I'd say give it a year or so. If the oline begins to fall to pieces you'll know what happened.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I've always been a bit split on whether to blame (or give credit to) coaches vs the players.

See the Cowboys before and during Jimmy Johnson’s tenure for the answer to that question

And see the Cowboys just a few short years after he left the team for another example

The team hasn’t done shit in 23 years even when we had the talent

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
See the Cowboys before and during Jimmy Johnson’s tenure for the answer to that question

And see the Cowboys just a few short years after he left the team for another example

The team hasn’t done shit in 23 years even when we had the talent
Well. Jimmy never threw away an entire draft for "depth" like Jerry did after he left. The personnel decline was quite rapid after that.

Coaches are much like chefs - if you want excellent meals you gotta give them excellent ingredients, and Dallas has had mediocre ingredients and poor chefs since Jimmy left.

Right now with the OL you have good to excellent ingredients, but the dropoff from the starters to the 2nd team is massive. That's where coaching is premium. But if you're keeping shit like Chaz Green around, what's a coach to do with that?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Right now with the OL you have good to excellent ingredients, but the dropoff from the starters to the 2nd team is massive. That's where coaching is premium. ?

Well duh dude. We have 3 legit all pro's, one quality starter with upside and a rookie who most thought should have been a 1st rd pick. of course the drop off is huge.

That said, they have 3 or 4 backups who have all started at various times. That's about as good as you can get for depth in todays current state.

Top Bottom