Reaction score
A Cowboys failure in 2018 will not be the fault of Dak Prescott or Ezekiel Elliott. The Cowboys Super Bowl hindrance will stay Jerry Jones problematic GM moves.

When Bill Parcells did his draft show a few years ago he made a category list of a NFL draft franchise QB. Dak Prescott has all the boxes checked. He improved every year as a starter, had a high completion rate, played 3 or more years, graduated (MBA), and was a team captain. If it was not for Mississippi being Mississippi, and Dak being Black, Dak would have never been a Cowboy. Jerry was trying to trade up for Lynch (see Broncos). The false arrest for drunk driving lead to a draft slide from 1st rounder grade to the 4th round. Even after Garrett and Linehan scouted Dak and told the brass he was 1st round talent and a franchise QB, Jerry waited until the 4th round before he would give Tony Romo his first real challenger for the QB Position. Parcells gave Romo some rules before he left Dallas, and Romo broke everyone. Therefore any legitimate threat to his starting role would over take him. Dak proved in 2 preseason games that Romo was in jeopardy as the Cowboys QB. That is why Romo was playing like his job was on the line in a meaningless preseason game. Romo gets hurt and a 6-3-230 pound, 4.65 40 yd, All American, MBA graduate, with all the Parcell boxes checked took over the starting QB position of the Dallas Cowboys and Tony Romo went to retirement.

Dak rookie season was added by a franchise RB that single handlely took Ohio St to the NCAA Championship and won it. He pounded and blew past all those no.1 Alabama defensive draft picks for +200 and went on a run a literal run to the Championship posting +200, and +300 games. However, this RB, Ezekiel Elliott (Zeke) had issues with the kyrptonite. However, that would not stop the rookie phenomenal year they both had in 2016. Dak would have one of the best years of any Cowboys QB and do it without Dez Bryant who was hurt most of the year. Elliott would be the Super Man he was at Ohio St.

However, Jerry Jones would do things to hinder both Dak and Zeke. 1. Upon the return of Dez, Jones would constantly pressure to get Dez more targets a philosophy that would derail the 2017 season. 2. Jones let go veteran defensive players falling from a top 10 rank defense in 2016. 3. Supported Zeke Elliott Kryponite tendencies (even after a St. Patrick video tape showed him again playing with kryptonite) to fight his suspension in the height of the "Me Too" stop
the violence against women's movement. 4. Jones remained loyal to a Head Coach that every team owner in the NFL would not retread as a Head Coach if he was fired today. 5. Jones continued this crazy hope of Romo's return when the team was on a 11 game winning streak not seen since the Tom Landry years. 6. Jones used his influence to continue pushing the ball to Dez Bryant who could not return to form from time and injuries. 7. Jones continued to draft and sign players who were unavailable (Lee, Smith, etc.) or unreliable (Irving, Gregory, etc.).

Jerry Jones however can not change who Dak and Zeke are as football players. Dak and Zeke will go on a run that will surprise the NFL and Cowboy fans n 2018. The same Cowboy fans that think Dak was a one year wonder should understand that he led the Cowboys to a 9-7 record without Elliott, Romo's Dez Bryant, and LT Tyron Smith. How many QB have a winning record after losing their top RB, Top WR, and Top LT? NONE!!! Dak touchdown to interception ratio was better than most in the NFL in 2017 with a above average passer rating through the turmoil that was the 2017 season.

Cowboys fans should also remember that you just gave a franchise RB that has yet to reach his full potential time to rest and get his off the field kryptonite addiction and life together. If the Cowboys OL remain healthy Elliott will go on a 2018 run that will be similar to Emmitt Smith's 1993 run.

But the same man that almost messed up Emmitt Smith's 1993 back to back Super Bowl run can throw wrenches in the Cowboys 2018 season. However, I think that Dak Prescott is so Staubach like in his character (Staubach like I said) he can rise above the Jerry Jones circus the way Staubach rose above being swapped out every play and series for Craig Morton by Tom Landry.

The Cowboys defense still has issues but not as many as 2017. The DAK ATTACK and the Book of Ezekiel will give Jerry what he does not deserve...to finally say he got to the Super Bowl without Jimmy Johnson.

Reaction score
source?

himself

You give the source that says I am wrong. I do not have anything to prove to someone that does not keep up with the Cowboys. This is common knowledge that Cowboys HC, OC, and scouts scouted Prescott like Louisiana voters vote..... early and often.

You want a source. Type in key words on google and click the search button.

But here is one for the lazy uninformed Cowboy fans:
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cowboys-dak-prescott-where-nfl-scouts-missed-the-mark-111416
The Cowboys meet with Prescott several times throughout the offseason. They likely knew more about him than any other NFL franchise. And his coming to Dallas seemed to make perfect sense as the team needed to find a viable back-up to veteran quarterback Tony Romo whom was coming off two separate collarbone injuries the prior year.

But as the 2016 NFL Draft progressed, Prescott continued to fall down draft boards. Some blamed team’s declining interest on the fact he was arrested for a possible DUI in March. Dak would later be found not guilty of those charges after two breathalyzer tests came back inconclusive.

You can now reply back "Fake News" :)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You give the source that says I am wrong. I do not have anything to prove to someone that does not keep up with the Cowboys. This is common knowledge that Cowboys HC, OC, and scouts scouted Prescott like Louisiana voters vote..... early and often.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cowboys-dak-prescott-where-nfl-scouts-missed-the-mark-111416

I don't see anywhere in that quote you had where it said Linehan and Garrett thought Prescott was worth a 1st rd pick.

By all accounts that were reported after the draft, the person most responsible for drafting Prescott was QB coach Wade Wilson, but never was it stated anywhere that anyone in the Cowboys organization thought Prescott was a 1st rd pick.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You give the source that says I am wrong.
Nobody said you were wrong. They just wanted to know if this was a cut/paste job and if so, from where.

I remember reading this before, but can't put my finger on where.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

what's "fake news" is your assertion that "Garrett and Linehan scouted Dak and told the brass he was 1st round talent and a franchise QB".

I'm open to this being authentic news provided you give a reliable source that backs this up. As it is, it sounds like you're exaggerating their evaluation for some unknown reason and then getting butt hurt when people simply know where you heard this because I'm 99% sure you have no involvement with the team and aren't privy to any "inside" knowledge, so your word alone doesn't carry any weight

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The 2016 draft board may have been leaked but I dont recall what the Cowboys grade was on Dak. I do recall that concensus from draft gurus was anywhere between round 2 and round 4. I dont recall many if any 1st round grades on him. If somebody feels like it they could always tweet Broaddus and ask what the Cowboys grade on Dak was and I am sure he could settle this.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

This is just a lazy and uninformed response that someone gives when he/she can't back up what they post. It's your post and you own it, as stupid as it is.

But for your education, here's what we do know. First, the Cowboys tried to move back into the 1st round to draft Paxton Lynch. Jerry openly lamented his disappointment and wondered if he shouldn't have given up more to get Lynch. Then when the Cowboys got into the 4th round, the Cowboys were interested in Connor Cook but Oakland traded with Cleveland and moved up to the top of the 4th round and took him.

So did the Cowboys move up in the 4th to grab their first round talent that dropped? Did the HC, arguably one of the most influential people in the Jones family portrait, jump on the table and lobby hard to move up and grab this talent? No....they just sat there and waiting until he dropped to them in the latter part of the 4th round.

So then TC starts and Romo gets hurt. Does the HC and OC make this first round talent the #2? Negative, they hand the reigns to Kellen Moore while Dak stinks up TC. Moore gets hurt and the first round talent finally gets a shot. It's insanely moronic for someone to believe the HC and OC pegged Dak as a first round talent while these same two fools believed Kellen Moore was a quality back-up QB.

You need to look at what has been reported and look at the known facts and then form a logical conclusion and opinion. You don't say something stupid and idiotic and then claim someone doesn't follow the Cowboys enough as a response to your stupid and idiotic comment.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score

It's your story, tell it anyway you want. I'd suggest you read draft thread archives right here on this forum. Any draft thread, any year. No way a tidbit like " Prescott 1st round skills" from Garrett and/or Linehan got by this forum.
Show some receipts or it's just your opinion.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is just a lazy and uninformed response that someone gives when he/she can't back up what they post. It's your post and you own it, as stupid as it is.

But for your education, here's what we do know. First, the Cowboys tried to move back into the 1st round to draft Paxton Lynch. Jerry openly lamented his disappointment and wondered if he shouldn't have given up more to get Lynch. Then when the Cowboys got into the 4th round, the Cowboys were interested in Connor Cook but Oakland traded with Cleveland and moved up to the top of the 4th round and took him.

So did the Cowboys move up in the 4th to grab their first round talent that dropped? Did the HC, arguably one of the most influential people in the Jones family portrait, jump on the table and lobby hard to move up and grab this talent? No....they just sat there and waiting until he dropped to them in the latter part of the 4th round.

So then TC starts and Romo gets hurt. Does the HC and OC make this first round talent the #2? Negative, they hand the reigns to Kellen Moore while Dak stinks up TC. Moore gets hurt and the first round talent finally gets a shot. It's insanely moronic for someone to believe the HC and OC pegged Dak as a first round talent while these same two fools believed Kellen Moore was a quality back-up QB.

You need to look at what has been reported and look at the known facts and then form a logical conclusion and opinion. You don't say something stupid and idiotic and then claim someone doesn't follow the Cowboys enough as a response to your stupid and idiotic comment.

“Golf Clap”

Reaction score

1. The original post stated Jones tried to trade up for Lynch.
2. You go look up on DallasCowboys.com
3. Quincy Carter was drafted in the 2nd round by the great GM Jerry Jones. So I would not be building my hopes on anything Jerry Jones is saying when evaluating a player.
4. As far as jumping up and down for a player to be drafted here how it goes: 1. the draft board is set. 2. if a higher round player falls the scouts are called for their input, then position coach, then it goes to be discuss with the scout, position coach/coordinator, head of scouting/personnel or VP of player personnel and the GM. 3. then that fallen player is either selected or a decision is made to draft in a later round or not at all (see Dak 4th round selection). Therefore they did get together to push Jerry to select Dak. They did not push Jerry to select Carter as he had a 4th round grade but Jerry wanted to have Carter on the max term contract (cheap move as usual) for a 2nd round pick. You can go look that up.

So go do your homework, I ain't going do it for you, and you will find out what I posted is factual.

I am still waiting for someone to show proof that I am wrong. So what was the original post about?

Reaction score
Nobody said you were wrong. They just wanted to know if this was a cut/paste job and if so, from where.

I remember reading this before, but can't put my finger on where.

See my replies with links and also I did not state the Cowboys had a 1st round grade on DAK. I stated he had a 1st round grade that was affected by fake news off the field incidents. He was a solid late 1st early 2nd round pick until the drunk driving arrest in Mississippi.

Anyone that follows the draft knows the Cowboys coached the Senior Bowl saw Dak and got DAKERIZED just like MSU did and LSU did not. LSU recurited Dak as a athlete and MSU as a quarterback the rest is Les Miles fired at LSU and Dan Mullen still has a job in the SEC. I hope I don't have to show a source for that easy known fact also :)

Reaction score
Reaction score
Nothing in any of the articles linked in any way backs your assertion, ironically.

Reading is fundamental. That is not ironic. That is a fact.

The assertion that Jones did not want Dak and that Garrett, Linehan, and the personnel dept. did want him is factual. If the Cowboys had not earned the honor (by losing) to coach the Senior Bowl, they would have ended up like LSU in regards to Dak Prescott.

So what is your assertion? Jerry pulled off the great Minnesota Train Robbery? Garrett is the Tom Landry of the new millennium? Your receiving corps will not miss a beat losing Dez and Witten and that both loses promotes Dak's development?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The assertion that Jones did not want Dak and that Garrett, Linehan, and the personnel dept. did want him is factual.
I can see now you're either intentionally obtuse, or are just moving the goal posts to suit you.

THIS is what's being challenged, not anything else you posted:
Garrett and Linehan scouted Dak and told the brass he was 1st round talent and a franchise QB

You have given nothing at all to back this assertion. And nobody's argued any other point.

Show us a credible source for the assertion that Ginger and Linehan told ANYONE (not just "the brass") that Dak was a 1st round talent and a franchise QB as you claim.

Of course that would also explain why Dak ranked 7th on our QB draft board?

Top Bottom