icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
pryor should be put on IR for 2nd degree flinching

Reaction score
I hope they finally get a conventional 1 Tech/NT. Say what you want about Parcells but in making his defense he would have that NT in place as a priority. Garrett either doesn’t understand the need or doesn’t want it - psychologically there are a few obvious failures that I think Garrett just cannot suddenly change his stupid rhetoric and remedy. Think about the backlash of “why were you doing this your way all this time when we could have been winning with the conventional way”. He would get torn to pieces. It’s obvious that he wasted the Romo years with his scheme and lack of coaching. But suddenly getting a conventional 1 Tech, prioritizing a dominant safety, defering possession when winning the coin toss, running the ball with the lead, etc will raise the question of why he was not doing this earlier. Garrett is playing for his reputation and his vanity. He doesn’t care about the team. Any real passionate head coach would have revamped everything or resigned if they had failed to coach the way Garrett has.

Did anyone see the press conference where someone from the media said “is the fastest group of wide receivers you have had in long time?” Garrett didn’t like that question because his offense is supposed to have speed at WR and he wants size and/or tenacity which really hasn’t worked with his same 4 pass plays. So this is what Garrett said to that media member: “No I wouldn’t say that, we have had receivers who are good, get separation, and run good routes.” Notice how he thinks he is defeating the lack of speed question with other traits which have nothing to do with speed.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Travis Frederick is being evaluated for a stinger. Hopefully that’s all it is and this isn’t a smokescreen for something far worse

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Travis Frederick is being evaluated for a stinger. Hopefully that’s all it is and this isn’t a smokescreen for something far worse

Gotta love those dumbfuck Zoners:

1) For years complain about players missing practices. Complain that players cant play/work through injuries. Coaches coddle players.
2) Hear Travis Frederick has a shoulder that needs checked out "well why would this staff be having him out there!!!!!"
3) Sees post saying Fred has been held out of some practices. Crickets.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I hope they finally get a conventional 1 Tech/NT. Say what you want about Parcells but in making his defense he would have that NT in place as a priority. Garrett either doesn’t understand the need or doesn’t want it - psychologically there are a few obvious failures that I think Garrett just cannot suddenly change his stupid rhetoric and remedy. Think about the backlash of “why were you doing this your way all this time when we could have been winning with the conventional way”. He would get torn to pieces. It’s obvious that he wasted the Romo years with his scheme and lack of coaching. But suddenly getting a conventional 1 Tech, prioritizing a dominant safety, defering possession when winning the coin toss, running the ball with the lead, etc will raise the question of why he was not doing this earlier. Garrett is playing for his reputation and his vanity. He doesn’t care about the team. Any real passionate head coach would have revamped everything or resigned if they had failed to coach the way Garrett has.

Parcells was a 3-4 guy. A really great NT is a pretty big deal for a 3-4 team.

A NT isn't going to make or break a team in a 4-3 defense, never has and never will.

And I still don't understand some of your rants on speed WR's etc etc.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Well shit
Now we have two staring LB’s hurt. I know, I know, Sean Lee isn’t hurt yet, but just give it time. He will sprain his vagina before the start of the season

Reaction score
Parcells was a 3-4 guy. A really great NT is a pretty big deal for a 3-4 team.

A NT isn't going to make or break a team in a 4-3 defense, never has and never will.

And I still don't understand some of your rants on speed WR's etc etc.

Having a large and real 1tech who demands doubleteams allows the 3tech to move to the ball or shield the WLB. The point about Parcells was that he wouldn’t use patchwork character tweener players for important positions. Even right now the question about the DL is about the lack of interior strength. Maliek is not a 1-Tech. Johnathan Hankins is. When the Seahawks had the original Boom who was the 1-Tech?

Speed at WR is absolutely necessary for a Coryell offense. If Romo couldn’t scramble this offense while “a play ends and Romo begins” (TWilly quote) would have been a bloodbath and changed a long time ago.

Warner’s Rams and Manning’s Colts. As opposed to miscast WCO WR in Dez and “a good blocking player” as #2.

Whatever. This is from Wikipedia basic definition of Coryell offense.

“Overall the goal of the Coryell offense is to have at least two downfield, fast wide receivers who adjust to the deep pass very well, combined with a sturdy pocket quarterback with a strong arm. The Coryell offense uses three key weapons. The first is a strong inside running game, the second is its ability to strike deep with two or more receivers on any play, and the third is to not only use those two attack in cooperation with each other, but to include a great deal of mid-range passing to a TE, WR, or back.“

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Having a large and real 1tech who demands doubleteams allows the 3tech to move to the ball or shield the WLB.
In a 4-3 upfield pressure scheme, this asset also works best when you keep him on the strong side of the offense. Meaning, he will play left or right of center, depending on what hashmark the ball is on. He would line up on the outside eye of the center if the Mike calls for run stoppage, inside eye of the guard for a pass call from Mike.

That's how we played it anyway. The 1-Tech shifts according to what the Mike reads pre-snap.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dak Prescott's camp total: 118 of 172

OXNARD, Calif. – If Jason Garrett follows the same form he had leading into the preseason opener, the Dallas Cowboys held their last padded practice while on the West Coast.

With a morning practice, Garrett had the players go at a jog-through tempo last week after their late afternoon work. The Cowboys play the Cincinnati Bengals on Saturday at AT&T Stadium, so Garrett will want to make sure they have their legs and give them a little break on Thursday.

If that is true, then in 12 padded practices, Dak Prescott will have competed 118 of 172 passes in team and seven on seven drills. He threw his fifth interception of camp when Byron Jones was able to get under a throw to the post to Terrance Williams after a play-action fake. Williams was open but the pass hung up a little bit.

On the day, Prescott completed nine of 12 passes. He showed his mobility twice on scrambles from the pocket when things broke down. His best throw came in seven on seven when he found tight end Geoff Swaim down the seam after he got by linebacker Jaylon Smith. He had a touchdown on a scramble play called back because of an illegal touching by Lance Lenoir, who stepped out of bounds before catching the pass.

Four of Prescott’s completions went to Michael Gallup, continuing their run of good chemistry.

We’re starting to click, staring to hit the deep ball a lot more in some of these last practices than we did early on,” Prescott said of his work with his receivers. “But we knew that would be part of it, working out the kinks and we’re all getting comfortable with each other. It’s fun to do it.”

On to the observations:

** WR Tavon Austin left practice early with a tight hamstring. LB Leighton Vander Esch left early with a sore groin after covering a pass to the sideline. Neither is considered serious but the Cowboys are cautious with players who have soft-tissue injuries. FB Jamize Olawale appeared to hurt his arm on a block in the run period but he was able to return.

** Playing with eyes matters for a defender. CB Byron Jones did just that when he read the eyes of Allen Hurns in one on one work on a fade. As Hurns was about to reach for Dak Prescott’s fade, Jones threw his hands in the air for a pass breakup. LB Damien Wilson did the same in the compete period against Olawale on a throw to the corner of the end zone.

** You’ve got to love Sean Lee. After WR Mekale McKay let loose with an emphatic spike in team drills, the veteran linebacker said, “Good for you. Spiking the ball when you’ve done nothing.” Lee made sure the young receiver wouldn’t feel too good about himself.

** DE Randy Gregory seems to be getting back into the fun of things. He had at least one sack of Prescott – if not two – in a three-play span in 11 on 11 work against Tyron Smith. He has always had a quick burst off the line and he might be benefitting from fresh legs at the moment, but it was an encouraging sign.

** Rookie DE Dorance Armstrong was able to win a rep against Smith in the compete period but the All Pro came back on the next two plays by flinging Armstrong to the side on an outside rush and stoning him with a strong inside arm on the next snap.

** I’m sure RG Zack Martin has lost a one on one snap in camp but I’m not sure he has lost two. In the compete period he dominated Daniel Ross and after the second win one offensive player yelled, “Get him out of here.”

** S Jeff Heath did not take part in team or seven on seven drills as he deals with a low ankle sprain suffered on Monday. He does not anticipate it being an issue for long. Kavon Frazier took his place with the first team. Kam Kelly and Jameill Showers were the second-team safeties.

** WR Darren Carrington had a chance to make a good first impression in one on one drills but he dropped a slant in tight red-zone one-on-one drills.

** Former Cowboys punter Mat McBriar, wife Erin and two kids were visitors to camp on Wednesday. Always good to catch up with the Aussie punter, who lives outside San Diego these days.

https://www.facebook.com/toddarcherNFLNation/posts/1837922892953179

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
** I’m sure RG Zack Martin has lost a one on one snap in camp but I’m not sure he has lost two. In the compete period he dominated Daniel Ross and after the second win one offensive player yelled, “Get him out of here.”
Not just saying this to get a rise but I truly believe Zack Martin is on a HOF path and will end being the best interior OL to ever play for the Cowboys. Yeah Larry Allen was great and more athletic but Zack is the better technician and I believe will have the longer more effective career.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
LVE college China doll tendencies already showing up and Austin was constantly injured with the Rams. Now all we need Gregory and David Irving to move in together and all will be right with the world.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Not just saying this to get a rise but I truly believe Zack Martin is on a HOF path and will end being the best interior OL to ever play for the Cowboys. Yeah Larry Allen was great and more athletic but Zack is the better technician and I believe will have the longer more effective career.

WTF? Man, I got the avatar and everything.

Seriously though, Martin has some real skills and a nasty on field disposition. He certainly has the chops for HOF and GOAT Cowboys lineman. If he plays out his contract or close to it at his current skill level he could be amongst the all time greats.

We'll see.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
the randy gregory news is very encouraging. 2 sacks in 3 plays aint bad unless it was vs chaz, then he shouldve had at least 4 sacks in 3 plays

if you guys check out the interview he did, then a story with mike leslie, you may feel differently about him

the first thing that i noticed is that he is well spoken. hes not the idiot that youd assume he would be from the trail of stupid decisions hes made up until this point

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Let's be real and honest here. Zach is great but he's not in Larry Allen's league yet. Larry Allen could move all over the OL and made it to the Pro Bowl as a LT (?), as well as a guard. The guy was a beast. When Zach fills in at other OL positions and can do the same things he does at guard, I'll make that comparison. Until then, he's a very good/great guard.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
the first thing that i noticed is that he is well spoken. hes not the idiot that youd assume he would be from the trail of stupid decisions hes made up until this point

I thought I read somewhere that his parents are good people and educated (teachers?). I don't think he's a product of his upbringing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Let's be real and honest here. Zach is great but he's not in Larry Allen's league yet. .

Nobody is Larry Allen "league", might not ever be another Larry Allen "league".

Dude was one of the greatest players in history of game if you take position out of the equation.

Top Bottom