icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I disagree on both your points to be honest. If he doesn't play well he isn't going to get a huge deal, and he might only get a short term deal. if he plays well then it's a no brainer.

If he's a franchise QB (which we may or may not learn for sure this year) then he isn't too expensive.

ok cool lets put a pin in this 1 and revisit

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations.

Tier 1: Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger

A Tier 2 quarterback can carry his team sometimes, but not as consistently. He can handle pure passing situations in doses and/or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. He has a hole or two in his game.

Tier 2: Ryan, Wilson, Stafford, Rivers, Wentz, Luck, Newton, Carr, Garoppolo, Watson

A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter, but needs a heavier running game and/or defense to win. A lower-volume passing offense makes his job easier.

Tier 3: Cousins, Smith, Manning, Prescott, Goff, Winston, Mariota, Dalton, Flacco, Keenum, Taylor, Bortles, Tannehill, Bradford

A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player with some upside, or a veteran who is ultimately best suited as a backup.

Tier 4: Trubisky, McCown, Mahomes, McCarron

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations.

Tier 1: Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger

A Tier 2 quarterback can carry his team sometimes, but not as consistently. He can handle pure passing situations in doses and/or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. He has a hole or two in his game.

Tier 2: Ryan, Wilson, Stafford, Rivers, Wentz, Luck, Newton, Carr, Garoppolo, Watson

A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter, but needs a heavier running game and/or defense to win. A lower-volume passing offense makes his job easier.

Tier 3: Cousins, Smith, Manning, Prescott, Goff, Winston, Mariota, Dalton, Flacco, Keenum, Taylor, Bortles, Tannehill, Bradford

A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player with some upside, or a veteran who is ultimately best suited as a backup.

Tier 4: Trubisky, McCown, Mahomes, McCarron

Would you agree that Prescott "carried the team" at Miss St? (and yes, I know that's comparing college to pro)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dipshit Zoners over there defending and crying for Dez all over in that thread.

"Lal hasnt done shit in this league!!!!!!!" they claim...."Prescott is inaccurate!!!!!!" they claim. "Why cant the Cowboys leave poor Dez alone!!!!!!" they whine.

Then I look at team rosters and notice Dez still aint got a job.

But hey, those Zoners. THEY KNOW THEIR SHIT.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

"Lal hasnt done shit in this league!!!!!!!" they claim...."Prescott is inaccurate!!!!!!" they claim. "Why can the Cowboys leave poor Dez alone!!!!!!" they whine.

That is why I am happy this place has stayed more like your neighborhood corner bar, than turning into the Dave and Busters at the mall.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

"Lal hasnt done shit in this league!!!!!!!" they claim...."Prescott is inaccurate!!!!!!" they claim. "Why cant the Cowboys leave poor Dez alone!!!!!!" they whine.

I don't know about any of that but I do know bullshit when I see it. Dak will never be a "throw to a spot" QB. You people are nuts if you believe that. Mainly because he's not very accurate, as much as you and some others may not want to hear that.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know about any of that but I do know bullshit when I see it. Dak will never be a "throw to a spot" QB. You people are nuts if you believe that. Mainly because he's not very accurate, as much as you and some others may not want to hear that.

If he completes 68% of his passes for 8.0 yds per attempt like he did as a rookie, I'll be pretty happy with him being "not very accurate"

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If he completes 68% of his passes for 8.0 yds per attempt like he did as a rookie, I'll be pretty happy with him being "not very accurate"

So what? We all had positive vibes after his rookie season but I'm not going to toss away last season without a red flag. Maybe it was a sophomore slump. But maybe the league has figured out that he's not a very good/accurate downfield passer.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And I won't give two shits if he completes 70% of his dink and dunk passes. As it stands right now, the #1 threat in our offense is a RB. That won't get you far in the playoffs.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So what? We all had positive vibes after his rookie season but I'm not going to toss away last season without a red flag. Maybe it was a sophomore slump. But maybe the league has figured out that he's not a very good/accurate downfield passer.

Or maybe the so-so OL play at times, mediocre to bad WR/TE play and lack of having the all pro RB for 6 games really did have something to do with it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And I won't give two shits if he completes 70% of his dink and dunk passes. As it stands right now, the #1 threat in our offense is a RB. That won't get you far in the playoffs.

8.0 yds per attempt is 8.0 yds per attempt.

Yes, they need more plays downfeld than what we saw last yr, but you don't get to the high 7's, low 8's in yds per attempt strictly by "dink and dunk"

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
8.0 yds per attempt is 8.0 yds per attempt.

Yes, they need more plays downfeld than what we saw last yr, but you don't get to the high 7's, low 8's in yds per attempt strictly by "dink and dunk"
God Dammit gimme Kenny the Snake and some fucking BOMB throwing!

Oh wait... 59 percent completion percentage and 7.4 yds per attempt, lifetime for Stabler. Soooo...

Gimme ROMO back!

Oh wait.... we have that in Dak! Romo was 65 percent completion percentage and 7.9 yds per attempt, lifetime. Same as Dak.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
God Dammit gimme Kenny the Snake and some fucking BOMB throwing!

Oh wait... 59 percent completion percentage and 7.4 yds per attempt, lifetime for Stabler. Soooo...

Gimme ROMO back!

Oh wait.... we have that in Dak! Romo was 65 percent completion percentage and 7.9 yds per attempt, lifetime. Same as Dak.

Just give me Aikman or Staubach.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Just give me Aikman or Staubach.
Funny you should say that.

Staubach: 57 percent completion rate, 7.7 yds per attempt.
Aikman: 61.5 percent completion rate, 7.0 yds per attempt.

5 Lombardis between them though.

The point I'm making is, "accuracy" is very relative.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Staubach: 57 percent completion rate, 7.7 yds per attempt.
Harder to be "accurate" when he played all but two years of his career under the old pass defense rules, where the Mel Blount's of the world could mug and body slam receivers all the way down the field. All things considered Staubach's numbers are all worldly.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Harder to be "accurate" when he played all but two years of his career under the old pass defense rules, where the Mel Blount's of the world could mug and body slam receivers all the way down the field. All things considered Staubach's numbers are all worldly.
That's why "accuracy" is very relative.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Spot on. Next thing you know, Dooms and Dbair are going to go full CZ ****** and post stats from Landry and Garrett's early coaching years and tell us how comparable they are.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And no one in their right mind should be defending Brandon Weeden as the next franchise QB.
You're saying Dak=Weeden?
Next thing you know, Dooms and Dbair are going to go full CZ ****** and post stats from Landry and Garrett's early coaching years and tell us how comparable they are.
You have a screw loose. LOL
I've watched each QB in this discussion play. I also know which QB has the highest single game completion percentage and most consecutive completed passes, and he isn't any of the QB's we're talking about.
We should compare a 4th round 2nd year guy to the very best days and seasons of a multi-year veteran? And without mentioning that same veteran had strings of games where he couldn't compete at a high level for whatever reason? ALL quarterbacks have a bad string of games. Not just a 2nd year black guy.

You have the expectations bar for Dak set pretty high.

Top Bottom