theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Unlike most people I do not dislike Wade Phillips
Me neither its not his fault he got one promotion too many. His ceiling is DC which I feel he is good at. Every time he got promoted one time too many to HC it ended badly. Just like Callahan ceiling is position coach, is what it is.

Reaction score
Unlike most people I do not dislike Wade Phillips. He got a bum deal --- pun unintended. He did as well as any and perhaps even more, considering he had an OC that had no business being one, and whom said OC was actively working to undermine him to set the stage to eventually take over.

Even at the time everyone but Jerry knew Wade's ceiling was coordinator. He wasn't head coach material because he was too nice of a guy.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Even at the time everyone but Jerry knew Wade's ceiling was coordinator. He wasn't head coach material because he was too nice of a guy.

jeri knew, he doesn't give a fuck, his #1 criteria for his head coach is pliability

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Me neither its not his fault he got one promotion too many. His ceiling is DC which I feel he is good at. Every time he got promoted one time too many to HC it ended badly. Just like Callahan ceiling is position coach, is what it is.

Yeah I guess. But the truth is... we will never know what Wade could have accomplished had he been allowed to choose his own OC. He certainly would have chosen someone that was more capable than Garrett --- that goes without saying. And who knows...? Maybe he would have brought in Capers instead of Stewart. Wade chose Stewart as a FUCK YOU! to Garrett, when Garrett made it known that he wanted Capers, because clearly Garrett was already trying to set things up in place for himself when he took over as HC.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm not saying Phillips is Vince Lombardi or that he isn't better as a DC, but people forget that he went 29-19 at Buffalo with nothing at QB in a division with (at times) Belichick and Jimmy and Parcells. So yeah, I'd have liked to have seen what he could do with Romo and a competent veteran OC who was actualy on his side.

But the real thing about Wade is Jerry only hired him as a placeholder from the start. He was already set on Garrett and only wanted the best DC he could get so Garrett and his "development" wouldn't be interfered with. (See the last-second Dan Reeves non-hire on that score also.)

The whole thing was rotten from the beginning.

Last edited:

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm not saying Phillips is Vince Lombardi or that he isn't better as a DC, but people forget that he went 29-19 at Buffalo with nothing at QB in a division with (at times) Belichick and Jimmy and Parcells. So yeah, I'd have liked to have seen what he could do with Romo and a competent veteran OC who was actualy on his side.

But the real thing about Wade is Jerry only hired him as a placeholder from the start. He was already set on Garrett and only wanted the best DC he could get so Garrett and his "development" wouldn't be interfered with. (See the last-second Dan Reeves non-hire on that score also.)

The whole thing was rotten from the beginning.

All I know is if I were a Rams fan I would be real excited for the season with McVay running the offense and Wade running the defense. Instead I am waiting for the inevitable disappointment and excuses.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
All I know is if I were a Rams fan I would be real excited for the season with McVay running the offense and Wade running the defense. Instead I am waiting for the inevitable disappointment and excuses.

The Rams go from Jeff Fisher to McVay who turns them into the highest scoring offense in a single season.

While we are stuck with Garrett another year and will likely end up with Jeff Fisher when Jeruh does finally fire Jason Garrett!!

allpurpose

Spectator
Reaction score
Seriously? Is there actual talk of bringing in Fischer? I can recall the speculation that Mike Brown was going to replace Marvin with Fischer which would have prompted the single largest exodus of fans from any franchise in the history of the league. While Marvin isn't the greatest coach in the history of the league he isn't universally despised the way Fischer is. On the other hand Garret isn't exactly universally loved by anyone other than himself.
If the two teams decide to swap coaches again it better not be Marvin for Garrett.. Although from Cowboy fans perspective you could do worse than Marvin..you already are.. lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
We just assume Fischer because he is an older Jason Garrett. If Jerry fired Garrett he would most likely hire Fischer to keep his comfort zone.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Seriously? Is there actual talk of bringing in Fischer? I can recall the speculation that Mike Brown was going to replace Marvin with Fischer which would have prompted the single largest exodus of fans from any franchise in the history of the league. While Marvin isn't the greatest coach in the history of the league he isn't universally despised the way Fischer is. On the other hand Garret isn't exactly universally loved by anyone other than himself.
If the two teams decide to swap coaches again it better not be Marvin for Garrett.. Although from Cowboy fans perspective you could do worse than Marvin..you already are.. lol

Garrett is the white Marvin Lewis in the NFC.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't think Fisher is even a remote possibility. Maybe he and Jerry get along okay but I don't think that means he'd hire him. Fans would revolt.

Still take him over Garrett though. At least he was a legit player, had some balls as a coach, and isn't a grinning fraud as a person.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't think Fisher is even a remote possibility
When I said Fisher I was using him to illustrate a point. Whatever shine he had left came off with the job McVay did with mostly the same team. However the hire rest assured will be something along those lines because Jerry wants to be comfortable (a weak coach) instead of win.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't think Fisher is even a remote possibility. Maybe he and Jerry get along okay but I don't think that means he'd hire him. Fans would revolt.

Still take him over Garrett though. At least he was a legit player, had some balls as a coach, and isn't a grinning fraud as a person.

He just the coach with the record for most losses in a career

No big deal. LOL

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
You might have talked me into Fisher at one time, not gonna lie. Heck, I might've tried to convince y'all.
But watching him on the sidelines and in pressers since the last couple years in Tennessee and the whole time in St.Louis, not so much..
Dude gives zero fucks by all appearances.
Hard pass for me.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, he lost me with the job he did in STL. Totally blew the QB situation there.

I do think he did a great job early on in Houston/Tennessee, though. Enjoyed watching the Titans be one of the few teams that wouldn't be bullied and intimidated by Pittsburgh and New England.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Just watch the Hard Knocks with the L.A. Rams from the year before last. That will show you all you need to know about JF

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The sad part is that in comparison to Garrett, Fisher was a smashing success(got a team to a SB), and like we all seem to agree, none of us would touch Fisher with a ten foot pole. There is a current trend of innovative offensive coaches leading the way to success in the modern NFL. This is exactly the kind of coach Jerry needs but would never hire.

Last edited:

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Not a franchise QB, but will be paid like one because Jerry is too lazy/stupid to find a real one.

Top Bottom