allpurpose

Spectator
Reaction score
You gotta at least give Marvin some credit for changing the entire losing culture the Bengals had before he arrived in Cincinnati. It was the team that no free agents would even consider signing with unless they were the absolute bottom feeders of the league.. Has Garrett done that much? The season prior to Marvin their record was 2-14 under Dick LeBeau although it's tough to hang the failure all on LeBeau..
On the flip side it's tough to give all the credit for the turn around to Marvin. They did actually draft Carson Palmer back when he was still a great QB..

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I don't think anyone "feels good" about our feckless toothless passing game last season. There was literally, no one to throw to. We didn't even try alleged speedster Switzer on any deep routes to see if he could stretch them and draw coverage. There were NO answers coming from this garbage coaching, except 'throw it to Dez, even when he's covered he's open.'

Well he's definitely covered now.

I cannot possibly agree with this more. Even in 2016 I think 2 of his 4 picks were throwing to Dez. I know he slipped on a slant and the DB behind him picked it off for one of them. I don't think Dak is elite, but I don't think he sux either. I think the team collapsed around him and he went for the ride. Like you said, who did he have to throw to? I was a bit surprised we did as well as we did in 2016. Dez was past his prime and no longer a deep threat. Witten was way past his prime. Now we're left with TWill, Beasley, and Brice Butler! Seriously? For whatever reason they didn't use Switzer until real late in the season and he was the only one getting open quickly.

If last season didn't show everyone how bad this coaching staff is I don't know what will. I not only question their ability to to gameplan and adjust, but their ability to motivate the players. There was a stretch last season that reminded me a bit of 2010. This team was not coming out with the same intensity level as their opponents. End rant.

Bay10

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Not a franchise qb. Does have leadership qualities. Jerry will break the bank on him.

Last edited:

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Not as good as Tony .. and Tony wasn't good enough either.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not if he doesn't have a good year.

You are forgetting about Jerry's ego. The one that has been desperate for 25 years to prove he is a football guy. Finding a franchise QB in the 4th round in his mind is huge step in messaging that ego and proving he is a football guy. If Dak goes 20 TDs and 15 picks this year he'll get the 25 mill contract rest assured. Rationalizations will be made for why he didnt perform better. The same rationalizations that have been made for Garrett, for almost a decade.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He was plenty good enough. He dealt with possibly the worse coaches in the league and weak rosters.

FYI you just dropped a lit match. I like you so we'll have to agree to disagree (disagree about Romo, agree on the coaches) but I bet you a fin you havent heard the last of it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He was plenty good enough. He dealt with possibly the worse coaches in the league and weak rosters.

He was a good player, he was never a great player and he was not a "winner"

I'm sure fantasy football nerds liked him, but he was not a championship QB

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You are forgetting about Jerry's ego. The one that has been desperate for 25 years to prove he is a football guy. Finding a franchise QB in the 4th round in his mind is huge step in messaging that ego and proving he is a football guy. If Dak goes 20 TDs and 15 picks this year he'll get the 25 mill contract rest assured. Rationalizations will be made for why he didnt perform better. The same rationalizations that have been made for Garrett, for almost a decade.

If it were 10-15 yrs ago I'd agree with you.

But if Jerry's ego were in charge Johnny Manziel would be on our roster and so would Dez Bryant, along with a multitude of other roster mistakes.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dak started out great his rookie season, then took two giant steps back last year. This year will decide what way his career heads, for better or worse.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dak started out great his rookie season, then took two giant steps back last year.
Oddly, our explosive plays on offense were only eight less for the season, than in his first year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dak started out great his rookie season, then took two giant steps back last year. This year will decide what way his career heads, for better or worse.

He was having a good 1st half of the season.

The large drop-off in play coincided with Zeke's suspension and Tyron's back.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
He might be the 5th best QB in the division. Think about it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score

Plus it's pretty unlikely you're going to do well when your #1 WR is leading the league in drops and your coach insists you keep forcing the ball to him.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

He was not having a good first half. That's just a myth but one that you've mentioned several times before. 6 out of 8 games Dak didn't break 250 yards passing (it was almost 7 but one game he had 251 yards); two of those games he threw for under 200 yards. He was 2 and 3 before the lowly 49er's bailed him out.

Overall, in 8 out of 16 games Dak had less than 200 yards passing (almost 9 but he threw for 204 yards against Oakland). That's awful. 174, 138, 126, 113, 168, 93, 154, 172. Those are just not very good stats for a franchise QB in the modern era of football. And 93 yards in one game is just atrocious.

That's pretty bad for a "franchise" QB coming off a big year.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Boom or bust year for Dak. We'll see how it goes.

I agree but I think we'll go 8 and 8 or somewhere in that ball park. I just don't think Dak is good enough to carry the team but I guess we'll see.

Top Bottom