dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Somebody on the other board actually made an excellent point about the current way defenses have been shutting down the offense is to bracket Beasley with two defenders and make Dak throw longer to alternate targets. Dak when throwing to secondary receivers, the accuracy goes right in the shitter. For some reason JVille left him in single coverage, going away from what worked for everybody else.

He had the one overthrow on the deep ball to Austin yesterday, but he also threw several downfield that were pretty good throws too I thought.

I really think his issue is footwork and mechanics, when he does them properly he throws some nice passes with some touch and accuracy. He gets in trouble when he throws off his back foot or doesn't step into throws and get his shoulders through.

This is something he claimed he worked extensively on this past offseason, but I don't see any improvement over last year. Honestly from a mechanical aspect he looked FAR better as a rookie IMO (when by the way, his comp% was really high). I don't remember the persons name, but leading up to the combine and the draft he worked with one of those QB gurus and gave the guy a bunch of props. You'd like to think that once he got to the NFL and got attention everyday from NFL people, that his mechanics would get sounder, not worse. But his got worse.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Well we got another glimpse of what Dak “can” look like when you stop trying to force a running QB to be a pocket passer.

In 2016 they let Dak be Dak and played to his strengths. The team went 13-3

In 2017 they tried to turn Dak into. Pocket passer and the team went 9-7

Last night vs the Jags they let Dak run the ball and he went for 82 yards rushing and we won

They need to stop trying to turn him into something he is not and focus on what he actually is

He ran a decent amount vs NYG in week two as well. (7 for 45)

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
He had the one overthrow on the deep ball to Austin yesterday, but he also threw several downfield that were pretty good throws too I thought.

I really think his issue is footwork and mechanics, when he does them properly he throws some nice passes with some touch and accuracy. He gets in trouble when he throws off his back foot or doesn't step into throws and get his shoulders through.

This is something he claimed he worked extensively on this past offseason, but I don't see any improvement over last year. Honestly from a mechanical aspect he looked FAR better as a rookie IMO (when by the way, his comp% was really high). I don't remember the persons name, but leading up to the combine and the draft he worked with one of those QB gurus and gave the guy a bunch of props. You'd like to think that once he got to the NFL and got attention everyday from NFL people, that his mechanics would get sounder, not worse. But his got worse.

His throw to Beasley was late and Beasley had to kind of stop and go back for it. That's a pass Dak has to make and Beasly might have gotten some YAC with a more accurate pass. Dak's throw to Gallup was also late and it should have been a TD but Gallup ran out of room. He had Zeke wide open down field and he never looked his way or threw it. We won so all his warts are hidden for another week.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So the questions is what will the Skins do this Sunday? Will they double Beasley? You'd think they would and you'd think we'd be ready for it. I may go Skins this Sunday simply because they'll double Beasley and we can't win when our midget WR is covered. I think I just threw up a little.....

I think the fact that we don't continue making yards and scoring points when they double Beasley not only speaks to our idiot coaching, but one reason for their idiocy might be that they think or know they lack the qb who can make defenses pay when they focus on taking a receiver away. I can't imagine teams doubling Beas would stop Romo from still raping them, even if in the process they bait him into a pick six or three.

But shit, there are several ways right off the top of my head, to break up that shit of doubling the slot guy. It's not a question of qb abilities first and foremost. It's a question of will, for openers.

But a funny meme I can think of would show a bunch of coaches laughing at something, and the caption reads, "yeah all we did was keep doubling their slot guy, and they CUT Dez and retired Witten, and just forgot about running Dak and throwing to ZEKE!"

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If Garrett really wanted to be "creative" like that idiot Romo and Nance kept calling him during the Jacksonville game, he might try lining Rico Gathers up in the slot and throw tall balls to him and let the fucks suffer tackling him. He'd drag four of them ten yards after the catch. Meanwhile have Beasley out wide running post and go routes. After about five Gathers catches, PUMP it to him and instead let a bomb go to Beasley. They'll PRAY we stop doing that and give them Beasley in the slot again.

Beat the shit out of these fuckers instead of letting them dictate your offense.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the fact that we don't continue making yards and scoring points when they double Beasley not only speaks to our idiot coaching, but one reason for their idiocy might be that they think or know they lack the qb who can make defenses pay when they focus on taking a receiver away. I can't imagine teams doubling Beas would stop Romo from still raping them, even if in the process they bait him into a pick six or three.

But shit, there are several ways right off the top of my head, to break up that shit of doubling the slot guy. It's not a question of qb abilities first and foremost. It's a question of will, for openers.

But a funny meme I can think of would show a bunch of coaches laughing at something, and the caption reads, "yeah all we did was keep doubling their slot guy, and they CUT Dez and retired Witten, and just forgot about running Dak and throwing to ZEKE!"

If you're going to take Beasley away in the slot then you have to hit either the outside WR's or the TE. Dak doesn't do either very well or can't do it on a consistent basis. Our offense will be hand off, screen, read option.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If you're going to take Beasley away in the slot then you have to hit either the outside WR's or the TE. Dak doesn't do either very well or can't do it on a consistent basis. Our offense will be hand off, screen, read option.

There's tons of other things you can do besides just accept their taking one of your receivers away. Like this shit wasn't tried vs Landry? Jimmy? You don't allow it to continue. Not for 8 games last season then the first five of the next.

This is high school level coaching stuff, it's not advanced at all.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If Garrett really wanted to be "creative" like that idiot Romo and Nance kept calling him during the Jacksonville game, he might try lining Rico Gathers up in the slot and throw tall balls to him and let the fucks suffer tackling him. He'd drag four of them ten yards after the catch. Meanwhile have Beasley out wide running post and go routes. After about five Gathers catches, PUMP it to him and instead let a bomb go to Beasley. They'll PRAY we stop doing that and give them Beasley in the slot again.

Assuming you can get the dope smoking fool to line up in the right spot and run the right routes of course.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Assuming you can get the dope smoking fool to line up in the right spot and run the right routes of course.

Well you'd surely have to keep it simple. Much like the pass he caught Sunday.

But you might remember, I was calling for this same thing using Dez instead, last year when it became apparent to me what was going on and even more apparent we weren't doing anything to address it. And we still haven't.

I mean fuck, motion these guys around. Line them up in different spots. Instead of just surrendering.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's tons of other things you can do besides just accept their taking one of your receivers away. Like this shit wasn't tried vs Landry? Jimmy? You don't allow it to continue. Not for 8 games last season then the first five of the next.

This is high school level coaching stuff, it's not advanced at all.

Sure there is. But your QB just has to be able to make those throws. I like that he's running to keep teams off balance but we won't make a living off that. He'll get injured sooner or later.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Sure there is. But your QB just has to be able to make those throws. I like that he's running to keep teams off balance but we won't make a living off that. He'll get injured sooner or later.

He can make the throws. But getting them off doubling your slot guy isn't fixed by just throwing elsewhere. Or having the qb run the ball. And if you'll notice, he's not even been allowed to run the ball much outside last Sunday. Those aren't answers, those are accepting their dictation. They're not adjustments, they're placebos.

Just like when they have two-deep safeties. You don't just stop going deep for half the season and the first quarter of the next. You bludgeon them with the run until they come out of that and move one safety up for run support. Then your playbook opens up.

What we've done with them doubling the slot guy is merely, forgetting we have a slot guy. It's surrender, not an answer.

There are myriad ways to use that against them to make them come off of it. But those require a little bit of what we have none of - creativity and imagination. And some balls would help.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
He can make the throws. But getting them off doubling your slot guy isn't fixed by just throwing elsewhere. Or having the qb run the ball. And if you'll notice, he's not even been allowed to run the ball much outside last Sunday. Those aren't answers, those are accepting their dictation. They're not adjustments, they're placebos.

Just like when they have two-deep safeties. You don't just stop going deep for half the season and the first quarter of the next. You bludgeon them with the run until they come out of that and move one safety up for run support. Then your playbook opens up.

What we've done with them doubling the slot guy is merely, forgetting we have a slot guy. It's surrender, not an answer.

There are myriad ways to use that against them to make them come off of it. But those require a little bit of what we have none of - creativity and imagination. And some balls would help.

This doesn't make any sense, not because it's not a good plan of what should be done, but I haven't seen enough of Dak to know or believe he can do it. We won't get the Jacksonville D next week. No one will play us like that the rest of our games with Dak under center. That's why this game against the Skins is so hard to gauge. Beasley will get doubled and the box will be stacked to stop Zeke. Dak has had plenty of opportunities to beat defenses that were geared towards stopping Zeke and it's been a bad pattern of poor performances.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We won't get the Jacksonville D next week.
It's a good thing too. Weren't they touted as one of the best in the league? LOL
Dak has had plenty of opportunities to beat defenses that were geared towards stopping Zeke and it's been a bad pattern of poor performances.
It's been mostly a bad pattern of poor play-calling and strategy. Let's list it:

1.) Completely forget about ever going to the doubled guy, he's never gonna be open (But he still does get open.)
2.) Forget Zeke can catch and then take it to the house on any given play, and just not throw it to him.
3.) Only run Zeke on 1st and 10 into a stacked box then when that doesn't work after several times, limit his touches the rest of the way.
4.) Don't let Dak run. Even when he really needs to take off on a scramble. Just make him stand there and take sacks after you're constantly putting him in 3rd and long.
5.) Don't run any 'rub' plays where contact with the defender is allowed within 1 yard of the LoS. You might rub the double off the slot guy. That would be too much like attacking.

The four above are all they've done when the slot guy is doubled. All of the second half of last season then for the first 5 games of this season.
This doesn't make any sense, not because it's not a good plan of what should be done, but I haven't seen enough of Dak to know or believe he can do it.
I mean, you simply just must not be reading. It's not a question of qb abilities first and foremost. It's a question of will, first and foremost. They either don't want to or don't know how to, get that double on the slot broken. I just listed five things that if they do those, they either punish the fuck out of them or make them knock that doubling the slot shit off. And none of them have anything to do with whether the qb can make downfield throws.

Getting them off doubling your slot guy isn't fixed by just throwing elsewhere. That's a placebo, not an adjustment. That's doing what they want you to, not attacking. That's surrender. The entire genesis of "take what they give us."

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's been mostly a bad pattern of poor play-calling and strategy. Let's list it:

1.) Completely forget about ever going to the doubled guy, he's never gonna be open (But he still does get open.)
2.) Forget Zeke can catch and then take it to the house on any given play, and just not throw it to him.
3.) Only run Zeke on 1st and 10 into a stacked box then when that doesn't work after several times, limit his touches the rest of the way.
4.) Don't let Dak run. Even when he really needs to take off on a scramble. Just make him stand there and take sacks after you're constantly putting him in 3rd and long.
5.) Don't run any 'rub' plays where contact with the defender is allowed within 1 yard of the LoS. You might rub the double off the slot guy. That would be too much like attacking.

The four above are all they've done when the slot guy is doubled. All of the second half of last season then for the first 5 games of this season.

You don't know the play call. You're making assumptions when you have no idea if a certain play was called but the QB didn't pull the trigger. That's what I'm seeing. Dak doesn't run on command. If anything, he runs too early and gives up on a play when he feels pressure that sometimes just isn't there. Instead of stepping up in the pocket and throwing the ball, he either takes off running or does that silly spin move into a defender.

I mean, you simply just must not be reading. It's not a question of qb abilities first and foremost.

It most certainly is. You can deny it all you want but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The QB has limitations and has regressed to near the bottom of the league. When we win, we'll do so in spite of him. Zeke is the center of this O. He's the engine that makes it run. When your RB is your biggest weapon, your team is built wrong.

It's a question of will, first and foremost. They either don't want to or don't know how to, get that double on the slot broken. I just listed five things that if they do those, they either punish the fuck out of them or make them knock that doubling the slot shit off. And none of them have anything to do with whether the qb can make downfield throws.

They absolutely have to do with the QB. Again, you can't just assume that a certain play wasn't called. Garrett's a dolt. There's no debating that. We win in spite of him, just like we do with our QB. When folks were talking about his lack of downfield passes, what does Dak do? Open the game with a deep pass to Austin for a TD. When Garrett gets called out for his 4th down strategy, what does he do? Go for it on multiple occasions. Bottom line, they're almost two peas in the same pod. We can improve at the QB position, just like we can improve on the coaching position.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You don't know the play call. You're making assumptions when you have no idea if a certain play was called but the QB didn't pull the trigger. That's what I'm seeing. Dak doesn't run on command. If anything, he runs too early and gives up on a play when he feels pressure that sometimes just isn't there. Instead of stepping up in the pocket and throwing the ball, he either takes off running or does that silly spin move into a defender.

It most certainly is. You can deny it all you want but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The QB has limitations and has regressed to near the bottom of the league. When we win, we'll do so in spite of him. Zeke is the center of this O. He's the engine that makes it run. When your RB is your biggest weapon, your team is built wrong.

They absolutely have to do with the QB. Again, you can't just assume that a certain play wasn't called. Garrett's a dolt. There's no debating that. We win in spite of him, just like we do with our QB. When folks were talking about his lack of downfield passes, what does Dak do? Open the game with a deep pass to Austin for a TD. When Garrett gets called out for his 4th down strategy, what does he do? Go for it on multiple occasions. Bottom line, they're almost two peas in the same pod. We can improve at the QB position, just like we can improve on the coaching position.

So... We should just expect a guy in his 3rd year to overcome single-handedly, the crap positions his coaching puts him in.

We don't know the called play same as we don't know what restrictions Dak is under, game by game.

We DO know that this team after 13 games of seeing it, cant seem to figure out how to beat them when they double our slot guy. And you think it's all a quarterback deficency.

Do you think they know Dak sucks? LOL

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So... We should just expect a guy in his 3rd year to overcome single-handedly, the crap positions his coaching puts him in.

I expect a guy to be able to make routine throws for an NFL QB, especially one that is being touted as the next franchise QB. Also also expect better than 30 yards passing on 10 throws in a half. He surprised me the 1st half but then he played Dak football the 2nd half. I'll take the win. But that's not a recipe for long term success.

We don't know the called play same as we don't know what restrictions Dak is under, game by game.

We don't. I'll agree. But I base my opinion of the QB by what I see on the field when he throws the ball. Or how he feels the pressure and panics or if he steps up in the pocket and makes a throw. Dak could be the real deal and we'd still go .500, at best, with this coaching staff. But at least I'd know we've found the hardest position to find on the field and hope for a coaching change.

We DO know that this team after 13 games of seeing it, cant seem to figure out how to beat them when they double our slot guy. And you think it's all a quarterback deficency.

Not all. But enough that it doesn't force the D to back off the LoS. Not one DC fears Dak can beat them. They'll play the odds to shut down Zeke and they'll be right most of the time. Once in a while, our QB will throw for 180 yards (30 in the second half) and we'll all be creaming our shorts at his "great" game. Sorry bud, not me.

Do you think they know Dak sucks?

I think they have no idea. Our FO are not made up of football guys. They "hope" Dak is the guy and they're trying to sell him to the masses, just like they've been doing with the Red Dolt. Different guy, same marketing strategy. And the fans will lap it up for 8 years plus, if we use past history as our example.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I expect a guy to be able to make routine throws for an NFL QB
Well, he does. You just ignore them.
He surprised me the 1st half but then he played Dak football the 2nd half.
Right when as Beasley said, they put a "big linebacker on me and he was really roughing me up" and we had no answer.
But I base my opinion of the QB by what I see on the field when he throws the ball.
Which, when you ignore the great throws he does make, (and he often does) sort of skews your view.
Or how he feels the pressure and panics or if he steps up in the pocket and makes a throw.
You don't know if he's panicking or keeping his head and avoiding dunderhead pick sixes.
Not all. But enough that it doesn't force the D to back off the LoS. Not one DC fears Dak can beat them. They'll play the odds to shut down Zeke and they'll be right most of the time.
So, you're talking about a totally different thing than them doubling the slot guy. You're talking about the 9 man boxes we're regularly getting in 'obvious' run situations, such as 1st and 10 and short yardage. And Sunday night for the first time, they didn't run Zeke into the teeth of that. They did some quick throws instead. And magically, they worked!

So, we don't know what plays are called or what Dak is allowed to do as far as checking out, but we DO know we somehow can't handle 9 man boxes on run downs. We just run right into the teeth of it instead of taking what they give us there. It's not hard and you don't have to be an elite QB to make them pay on those downs. So what gives? Why do we "take what they give us" when they double the slot, but not when we're facing 9 man boxes on run downs?
Instead of stepping up in the pocket and throwing the ball, he either takes off running or does that silly spin move into a defender.
Who do you think taught him that one? It sure wasn't part of his repertoire in 2016.
Dak could be the real deal and we'd still go .500, at best, with this coaching staff.
Well, allegedly Romo was the real deal and we went .500 with him as well. 13-3 too. 12-4 too. Same with Dak. Seems like the QB isn't the common denominator and this coaching is.

Bottom line: It's NOT due to lack of QB skills when you constantly run up the middle into 9 man boxes. It's NOT due to lack of QB skills when you just allow them to take away your slot guy. For 13 frikkin games. That's COACHING.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
LET ME JUST SETTLE THIS SILLY DEBATE

RIGHT HERE

RIGHT NOW

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
f8ac86add7244f3c587e7e86de0192f1.jpg

So it looks like Dak and I both had the same dream growing up. We both have the same exact chance of that happening

ZERO!

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dak isnt even the all time best qb for greek yogurt, nevermind the fuckin cowboys

Good luck bud

Top Bottom