allpurpose

Spectator
Reaction score
Every fan base has plenty of fans who are never happy with the QB. Being a Bengals fan there are more than a few fans who think they should can Dalton to replace with [insert unknown super star] despite the fact Dalton has a pretty good track record outside of the post season . I like Andy Dalton as a QB, but I'm curious as to how most of you feel about Dak.. Do you see him as a long term solution or is he a flash in the pan one season wonder? I haven't paid enough attention to form much of an opinion other than noticing that without Zeke for a big chunk of last year he didn't exactly light the league on fire.. Is it a problem with receivers, coaching, offensive line play etc., or a combination of all of the above or is it more fundamental, he's not quite as good as he was advertised?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jury is way out, and IMO this is a make or break year. Maybe a well run RPO can can elevate his game because I thought Nick Foles was a complete scrub. Off course Foles had top notch coaching. Here Dak will be dependent on a wet behind the ears Moore and Linehan who seems alergic to adjustments. My take until proven incorrect is that in 2018 opposing DCs will focus on corralling Zeke and make Dak beat them from the pocket with par to sub par weapons. I dont think he is up to it. Hopefully he shoves it right up my ass.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I like Andy Dalton as a QB, but I'm curious as to how most of you feel about Dak..
And I think Dalton is his closest comp. He is the kind of guy who is difficult to replace but you are constantly looking to. The kind who if everything goes right you can win with but it never does.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dak's rookie year is mostly a result of teams having NO book on his tendencies. Year two they had time to study film and figure his tendencies out. The Zeke suspension had effect really, only on the idiot coaching who threw out the passing game for the backs, and limited Dak's options greatly. Combine that with the mandate to feed Dez regardless if he was open or not, weak support from other receiving options, (teams also decided to double the slot since Dez and Witten really weren't much of a threat) and add total inability to adjust to game situations by the staff, and you had gee what, a 95 passer rating for your 2nd year guy? Additionally, they "coached" Dak into not running the ball himself, leaving him open to a lot more hits and sacks.

It's no coincidence that most of his interceptions came from balls forced to Dez, and that every other receiver saw a 70 percent completion rate when thrown to them.

This is all what I predicted, that the coaching was going to ruin what was otherwise a decent prospect. Let the man PLAY and stop hindering him.

In my mind he gets one more year to show what he's really got, after that it is decision time whether to "pay" him or not. Right now I lean towards "not."

The 2019 draft will be well stocked with QB prospects.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's no coincidence that most of his interceptions came from balls forced to Dez, and that every other receiver saw a 70 percent completion rate when thrown to them.

A 70% completion rate for less than 600 yards mans very little. In other words, no receiver, other than Bryant, broke 600 yards for the season so why am I supposed to feel good about a 60% completion percentage? Dak dink and dunked his way to his completion percentage.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
A 70% completion rate for less than 600 yards mans very little. In other words, no receiver, other than Bryant, broke 600 yards for the season so why am I supposed to feel good about a 60% completion percentage? Dak dink and dunked his way to his completion percentage.

I don't think anyone "feels good" about our feckless toothless passing game last season. There was literally, no one to throw to. We didn't even try alleged speedster Switzer on any deep routes to see if he could stretch them and draw coverage. There were NO answers coming from this garbage coaching, except 'throw it to Dez, even when he's covered he's open.'

Well he's definitely covered now.

Reaction score
He definitely had a sophomore slump after an outstanding rookie season. I agree that the jury is still out. If he stinks this year then look out.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He definitely had a sophomore slump after an outstanding rookie season. I agree that the jury is still out. If he stinks this year then look out.

Yeah, look out for Jerry to make him the highest-paid QB in the league.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
He's had one great year.
He's had one terrible year.

I'm thinking the great year will be the outlier.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
And I think Dalton is his closest comp. He is the kind of guy who is difficult to replace but you are constantly looking to. The kind who if everything goes right you can win with but it never does.

That's a great comp. Dalton is fairly athletic, can move and run, and is an okay but not great passer.

That'll be good enough to Jerry to sell hope for the next seven to eight years, though.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think anyone "feels good" about our feckless toothless passing game last season. There was literally, no one to throw to. We didn't even try alleged speedster Switzer on any deep routes to see if he could stretch them and draw coverage. There were NO answers coming from this garbage coaching, except 'throw it to Dez, even when he's covered he's open.'

Did you just wonder why we didn't stretch the field with Switzer? You drinking early Dooms?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Did you just wonder why we didn't stretch the field with Switzer? You drinking early Dooms?

We didn't try. You believe Dak can't throw the long ball, despite you seeing him do it with your own eyes. Selective memory, for some reason.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I definitely think removing that (bolded) from the equation will help the overall passing game. I also think that in spite of how good Witten was for so long, he was also hurting the passing game because he was absolutely no threat to ever get open downfield.

Addition by subtraction for the offense in general IMO.

Top Bottom